BNW Huge Map Issues

Yes. So in the case of Artists and Musicians it's not too bad, as those seem to be the best late-game uses anyway (at least without theming bonuses).

My preference is for Writers, but I'm playing at Prince (large continents plus/epic or marathon). Golden ages are nerfed in BNW because of the fewer gold tiles, and a Writer's culture bonus is 40 times a golden age's single-turn benefit. Haven't had the need for a concert tour yet, as I'm not into the "quickest route to victory" routine and I find the culture victory too easy (so far).

I enjoy getting as many social policies/tenets as useful.

The trouble with Terra maps before was that the AI took too long to settle the new world. Has that been fixed in BNW? Fwiw, in my game the Zulus did manage to colonize most of South America but it was fairly late and I never made an effort. With the 5% science penalty per city overseas colonies may now be a losing proposition... Although food and hammer routes might balance that out. After the tech that extends the length of sea routes, those routes go a shocking distance even on a Huge map. I was able to make a route from my capital Brisbane to Boston in North America over a distance of maybe 60-80 tiles! Perhaps they should make the extending tech come a bit earlier? Can't remember which one it was but it was one of the sea techs, perhaps Navigation. The other solution is to found a city in the local 'Pacific' solely as a trade hub... It helps that (afaik) there are no pirates (barbs) on the high seas - at least I only ran into them in coastal waters. All in all I really like the new trade mechanics in BNW. It takes some effort to make a good route but the rewards are well worth it. Perhaps too much in fact (in the late game certainly).

Fwiw I started another game as Venice on Immortal on the same map and so far I've been at war with Byzantium, Germany and France one after another and it's turn 120. Venice's location is easy to defend on this map but attacking any of the three rivals is a losing proposition before Xbows or maybe even Cannons or Artillery. As it is I could probably take Paris but at the cost of five or six promoted Comp Bows (virtually my whole army), so I'm postponing it until my troops have farmed enough xp for the ranged upgrade.

EDIT: The trouble with huge maps with extra civs on them is that you can kiss any wonders goodbye until you have a significant tech lead. Naturally this applies mostly to Deity and Immortal, but even on Emperor I refrain from building wonders until the Oracle at the earliest. Forget about the Alhambra or Chichen Itza; it's not gonna happen even if you beeline unless you have huge luck. The other thing is that constant announcement spam ('Hi I'm friends with X as well, glad you like him! Ta-ta!') gets fairly nerve-wracking as well. The game was really designed for Standard sized maps with 8 players, and it shows. I'd gladly play a Standard sized world map if there were any decent ones... May have to make one myself one of these days (months, years ;)). The size of Europe and the placement of continents are the major hurdles. May have to cut something out or make it a flat world with half of the Americas to make everything fit. And ofc cut the seas down to nothing.

No, it hasn't happened. I just finished up a Terra game as Polynesia. I settled two cities over on the new continent rather quickly, but there really weren't many good resources over there and there were almost no hills so I didn't bother settling anymore. No one else made any attempt to move over to the new continent until the early 1900s, and then Portugal and China finally settled cities on the new continent but never developed them before I won the game.

No, it hasn't happened. I just finished up a Terra game as Polynesia. I settled two cities over on the new continent rather quickly, but there really weren't many good resources over there and there were almost no hills so I didn't bother settling anymore. No one else made any attempt to move over to the new continent until the early 1900s, and then Portugal and China finally settled cities on the new continent but never developed them before I won the game.
I see. Not surprising in the least. Also that sparseness of resources in the New World is pretty common on Terra maps as well, as I've understood it (rarely played them myself). They should make a version of Terra where the Old World is the place with crummy resources, and huge bounty awaits in the New World! Then to fix the AI so that it's a real race to the best spots out there. Would play my heart out of such a script.

I see. Not surprising in the least. Also that sparseness of resources in the New World is pretty common on Terra maps as well, as I've understood it (rarely played them myself). They should make a version of Terra where the Old World is the place with crummy resources, and huge bounty awaits in the New World! Then to fix the AI so that it's a real race to the best spots out there. Would play my heart out of such a script.

If there aren't many resources on the new continent, what's the incentive to settle over there though? I founded my cities early enough that they eventually managed to get decent production and be good science cities, but if I wasn't Polynesia and wouldn't have been able to do it so early, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

If there aren't many resources on the new continent, what's the incentive to settle over there though?.
There currently isn't one, other than 'roleplay' reasons. That's why I don't play Terra maps. They need to fix this script so that there's a reason to race to the New World... That was the point of my post (I was a bit unclear... Even 'decent' resources would do, and to be fair sometimes you do get them, but more often than not there's mainly flat plains and desert to be had).

I have not played on Terra maps, But I do find that luxuries are too broadly distributed. I often find it difficult to trade with neighbors or over seas because they already have access to almost all luxuries I posses. I would love it if they had a script that would place an abundance of on recourse on a contents, or half Continent that was only in the area. This way the only ones competing to sell a luxury over ceases with is a neighbor, who I can beat up. It would also make the ban luxury proposition far more meaningful.

Terra can be fun, but it is definitely a problem with how the AI has no desire to expand there. But yes, cramming opponents unto a Huge map makes things much more playable and dynamic. I like the idea of a script that has more abundant resources on the New World, though.

Top Bottom