Brad - no CD executable

ExtremeSIMS

Chieftain
Brad - I emailed tech support about a no-CD exectuable for CivIII [and for Tropico]. The answer was a generic "No". I realize that there are some piracy concerns, but for those of us on laptops, it would make a heck of a difference.

Any chance?
---
Patrick Scott

Originally posted by ExtremeSIMS
I realize that there are some piracy concerns, but for those of us on laptops, it would make a heck of a difference.

Once you launch the app, press Command-P to pause it, then eject the CD.

Brad

Yummy. Now I can conveniently have the 1812 Overture playing while I merrily do war upon the AI.

I almost hate to admit it, but yes, I sometimes do.:lol: If it's convenient, at least - I certainly don't put off an attack for a turn to let the music get to the right spot! It's not terribly tough to do, actually - at least if you have some musical background so you're used to that sort of thing.

The problem with the cmd-p workaround for notebooks is that you have to leave your computer running. The battery will run out. So in fact you will need to go out the door with the CD. Bummer.

Originally posted by SSK
The problem with the cmd-p workaround for notebooks is that you have to leave your computer running.

I guess I don't understand your complaint. Yes, you have to leave the computer running - do you play Civ3 when your computer is turned off? ;)

Brad

Originally posted by Brad Oliver

I guess I don't understand your complaint. Yes, you have to leave the computer running - do you play Civ3 when your computer is turned off? ;)
Brad

I wasn't really complaining, since I don't yet have a powerbook (probably will by next year).

I don't understand what you don't understand Brad. Say I leave in the morning, and want to play the game at some time in the afternoon, but don't want to lug the CD around with me. I have to boot the program with CD in, then pause and take out CD. I walk out the door. Now I have to leave the system running all morning, or else when I launch Civ3 later, I have to insert the CD. So it only works if you carry the CD around, which then defeats the purpose of the workaround.

Not that I can figure out a better method of software protection, mind you. But the inconvenience will make it more likely that I'll at some point go in search of a cracked executable.

Originally posted by SSK
Not that I can figure out a better method of software protection, mind you. But the inconvenience will make it more likely that I'll at some point go in search of a cracked executable.

I don't know if you've ever had a laptop before, but what you will discover if not is that you don't just take the laptop around. You get a laptop case, throw in a phone cable, perhaps an ethernet crossover cable, maybe your power brick and a few CDs. If you wanna play Civ3, make one of them the Civ3 CD. :)

Most laptop cases have plenty of places to stick a CD. Failing that, those tiny flip CD holders work well. When I'm on the road, I typically take a few Mac game CDs, some DVDs and some PSX CDs (for vitual game station) in a flip case. That laptop then becomes a full-service media device for the extra waight of one flip case.

Brad

I don't have a notebook either right now, but if you are using the computer all day then it is probably plugged in right? If you aren't, can't ypu put it to sleep and then just resume it when you are ready to play? Personally I can't imagine that "lugging" an entire cd at 3 grams is all that painful considering that you are also "lugging" a 6-7 pound computer.

Heck, put the thing in a CD envelope and tape it to the cover. (Personally, I would make a copy of the original disk first.)

Just doesn't seem like enough of an issue to go out to a warez site and get a crack.

IMHO.

Top Bottom