[RR] Railroads Bugs or Glitches? Post here.

Virvini

Chieftain
Well, since I don't know of any place to place these other than emailing them, why not post what we find here and them one of us can compile and send an email to them or direct them here. Though we know some of the Firaxis peeps read these forums occasionly, so they might just direct the patch guys here too.

Cities and Towns:
-To test it out, I built a Steel Mill and Automobile Factory in the same town and right after each other, in that order. Either way though, this is a bug from the manuel's description. I haven't tried with other industries yet, because I needed to do some studying for class. :)

Tracks:
-Since the game is built around triple tracking, either don't allow more than three tracks to pass together at a terminal or modify the graphics in the town to allow it.

Pathing:
-On Hard, the AI doesn't necessary choose the best path for it on double and triple tracks. Tends to actually choose much better routes on medium and easy, which I find strange.

Graphical:
-Double and Triple tracked bridges and tunnel graphic overlays.
-Corn fields on hills don't move around the laying of tracks and tend to float over a chasm if dig out under it.

After the german scenario, that all that really popped out at me, I'll look a little closer next time through and post the results.

i have had engines randomly disappear but the trains keep on going and the smoke pouring out of nothing...when i reload they are fine though...happened a couple times so far...kinda strange

Tell me this: is there some rule in the game that doesn't allow you to let a train have two stops that are "too close" to each other? I tried to get a train to go from London to the next town to the west and it refused to let me link the two together. I've seen this happen in the Northeast scenario. I wouldn't mind if the game would at least say "too close" instead of just refusing to let me hit "OK" when I do that. :(

I'm getting crashes in the game - you haven't experienced any? Trying to punch in extra cross-over tracks to deal with path/routing problems is a common trigger. Once that starts happening I just avoid that stretch of track to avoid a CTD (crash to desktop).

As long as I avoid 'screwing around' with the tracks too much, the game is relatively stable.

In my second "full game" I bought out my 1 competitor on the England map - game slowed to a crawl whenever I then played with the rail network - perhaps my detail level is too high.

Fired off some additional first impressions here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=4669325&postcount=2

I see many others are discussing the game on the Gamespot forums - cool. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy...um.html?board_id=m-1-932338&pid=932338&page=1

Problem with gamespot is that it's loaded with foaming-at-the-mouth rabid fanboys who are assailing Firaxis for "destroying" this and that. Well, it's different, but you get over it and enjoy it if you're into that sort of thing.

Think I'll stay here out of convenience though. ;)

This site is incredibly mature, though: http://hawkdawg.com/Forum/index.php?showtopic=881

And that thread is really good for the quality of discussion of routing it's generating: the "hard" mode really does require you to lay out your tracks as if you're building a model railroad in your house.

It takes a moment (or a few hours or games!) to appreciate the fact that you can *no longer* just "throw 20 trains" at a section of track and let the game "magically" sort it all out for you. Once you realize that, you see that to play on "hard" you really do have to set up "designated" tracks and plan routes accordingly.

This could end up being really cool - but it was quite a shock to witness how it worked for starters!

I too am experiencing game slowdown. Especially when trying to lay track. Not at first, only after I have a fairly well developed track system in place. No crashes yet but the game will momentarily freeze then start back up.

I am having a blast, though, figuring out routing and consists.

The game crashes for me frequently. I run CivIV and Warlords on the same machines, so I'd say it's Railroads! and not something to do with the PC. I'd love to forward the crash dumps to Firaxis, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do so. They don't seem to be looking for bug reports via their website.

I haven't had it crash on me, but I set the texture quality to medium and the game ran alot more smoothly. The trains on the opening menu still don't go by smoothly though, tend to disappear after the first engine.

I haven't had a problem so far with cities being to close. I'll attempt Northeast scenario when I get home and take a look around.

In the Scenarios, it's possible to start with 0 AIs, however the scenarios won't let you _win_ any objective that is 'conquer X of X opponents'. Not a huge deal, but I feel there should at least be a warning going into it

Back on the forum after setting up a fun little Tabletop version of the MidWest map. While adding yet more track - boom, CTD! :(

I think I'm going to put the game on hold now and play some Company of Heroes until the patches (inevitably) come out - to their credit, the game loads really fast on my machine, but crashes really do get annoying. :(

Having complained about "game" crashes - it really would be cool if they would bring back RRT-style crashes (where the engineers jump out at the last minute - such a cool animation! Oh man...). RRT2/3 crashes were lame - just a random event with minimal carnage.

BTW, the gamespot forums are being posted in by game producer Dan Magaha - perhaps he's lurking here too? If so, welcome - you've got quite a few bugs to fix - good luck!

In 'RRT_Cities_*' XML file of game scenario files, the <bIsStartLocation> tag does not work as it has to.
The Cities markead as 'false' are selected as start location regardless of the tag value.
For example, in US NorthWest sceanrios, the city of Seattle is marked as "<bIsStartLocation>false</bIsStartLocation>".
But some times Seattle is selected as player start city.
Modifying bIsStartLocation flags of the other cities from 'true' to 'false' also does not work.

I didn't make mistake on file; When I changed <Type>Town</Type> of Seattle in the same file to 'Village', it worked. i.e. Seattle become small village, not town.

<szDefaultTrackSide> does not seems to work. it doe not make any difference on track side of start city.
To change side, I have to change City <Rotation> parameter. I think that this is not what desiner intended.

While we're piling on, two quick things:

1. Buying a stock and then immediately selling it gives you profit.

2. I have had numerous crashes, which seem to be caused by the unorthodox way I add crossings to segments of double- or triple-railed track (I still haven't found the right way to do it). Under the right set of circumstances which I do not yet understand, I can confuse the computer into believing two cities are not connected when they clearly are. When in this state, if I delete a segment of track, the game crashes. Presumably, it is trying to adjust the "what city is linked by what piece of track" master list and hits a null pointer.

i tried the demo and the biggest problem is the train cannot stop (always keep 6km/h) and release goods at stations!:(

another is extending rails don't remove end of rail block. that's not big problem when rails are in rural area, but you cannot remove block when the rail is near the city...:mad:

falconer, what i mean is hard to choose the block when the rail is located closed to the city area... often city is highlighted instead of block or rail...

Found a small issue - When you have a depot and a competitors depot in the same resource producer (eg coal) if you have your train to "wait for full load" if will leave the station when it reaches half load- and then stop periodically on the way to its destination and "pick up" more cargo out of the ether....

Very odd.

It might have something to do with the way it doles the cargo out 1 to you and the next to the competitor....

I've been taking a break from Civ4 and running Railroads since it came out, and have had numerous crash errors. Civ4 does not crash on either of the systems I use, yet Railroads crashes on both of them. I get about 1 crash a day.

Less frequently, when I put the CD in for the first time in a few days, it softboots the entire system and Windows reports a system recovery from a fatal crash.

There are also numerous graphic rendering bugs - the missing train mentioned above is something I've seen - if you click on the *locate* to centre the camera on the train, I've sometimes seen it off in no-mans-land (some blank space), moving along at what looks to be warp speed. I've had resource buildings (such as oilfields and grainarys) appear hundreds of feet up in the air. Tunnels that are close to each other often render smushed-up together in a way that no tunnel could ever look in the real world.

The manual was about 2 steps more useful than the tutorial. I mean come on, I buy a game so I can see that the back half of the manual is chucked full of thinks like rail baron biographies and engines of the era? Where is the strategy discussion - the detail on the best way to plan paths for trains, etc...?

On a whole, I love this game because I'm a Railroad fan, but honestly, I feel like a ripped-off customer who just paid Firaxis for the honor of being a beta-tester for them. And I have to wonder why someone like Sid Meier put his name to this release.

/Thef

I saved a game earlier today. If I try to load it the game crashes.

Yeah I've had the tunnels problems too...also had crashes in multiplayer...and sometimes the trains in a city don't move no matter what you do with the tracks...that means restart unfortunately.
I can only assume that firaxis wanted to bring it out before the christmas rush begins in about 2 weeks...unfortunately that meant they had to cut short on the quality control.
I love the principles of this game, it's great to play, but so far 2 out of three times I've had to restart a game...
:sad:

I have had two Crash To Desktop...

This two crash have surprised me

The second crash has occured when i was making a deal to buy an industry in a city where nothing was onwned by me !

I really have a problem with Car factories in 1830 scenario. I uninstalled the game until the patch AND until someone mods some more sensible industries

Top Bottom