Can't Get it Running

suavecleric

Chieftain
Hi,

I am really excited to play this mod. I am a recent returnee to civ4. I am totally rusty, not only with downloading mods but I am also using an older laptop with windows XP.

I purchased civ4 and the expansion Beyond the Sword from steam. I have the latest version.
I downloaded the installer and followed the instructions.

When I load the game I get the big beautiful sun with the earth swirling around the solar system. When I hit enter nothing happens. There is no menu screen. After a few taps it appears to crash but, the Afterworld mod then loads up. It does the same thing whether I load from inside bts or directly from the desktop.

I saw one solution in the read me that said to go to the CivAltRoot, open in notepad and follow the instructions. Like I said, I am rusty and I am not sure how to go about following the instructions for windows xp.

The other thing I read was that it could be a bad install. If so how do I uninstall it? Do i just delete the mod folder re-download and install again?

Please help, I really want to give Rise of Mankind a go.

Thanks for your time!
SuaveCleric

When I load the game I get the big beautiful sun with the earth swirling around the solar system. When I hit enter nothing happens. There is no menu screen. After a few taps it appears to crash but, the Afterworld mod then loads up. It does the same thing whether I load from inside bts or directly from the desktop.
You have to let the Game and or Mod load. It will look like it has returned to desktop but the exe is still loading. Many players not used to CiV IV and BtS loading think it's broken cause it does not load as fast as present day games.

Your XP is fine. How much memory does your laptop have? Needs at least 4GB. And how much graphics ram does your laptop have too? Needs at least 512MB to 1 GB of graphics ram. Make sure you are not running the Graphics settings in game on High. Medium or low settings and use the 1024 by 768 resolution to start.

Is your XP 32 bit or 64? If it's an older laptop most likely 32bit.

Patience is needed.

Good Luck. :)

Top Bottom