Capitalization?

Tesla Tank

Warlord
I know it converts all shield to gold. But is the effect global or just in your civ or just in your city? Cause it costs as much as a wonder, so it only seems natural for it to have a large effect. Could someone also tell me why would you want capitilization. What form of government it works best. And the pros and cons of it.

Thanks

Capitalization "costs" nothing, and you don't "build" it. Cap only converts shields into gold. If you city produces 30 shields, and has 3 to pay in support, that is a net of 27 shields. Switch to Capitalism and those 27 shields will be converted to 27 gold and put in your treasury. The market, Bank, and Stock Ex. multipliers are not applied to the 27 gold... it is a straight 1 for 1 swap of shields for cash.

It works fine in any form of Govt. Use it is you don't want to build anything in your city... it will at least give you some gold, rather than useless stuff you don't need. I use it at the end of a game, like in a GOTM when I am waiting for the SS to land, and all the commodity freight is built, and no useful improvements remain.

Beyond general accumulation of gold, capitalization is useful when you can't meet your expenses. Say you need to up your luxury rate, but don't want to reduce science. Change a few cities to make gold instead - you don't deplete your savings, and you correct some happiness issues.

For those people that like to "buy" cities (like myself) this can be useful. Particularly because you dont have to use fundy (considered dirty playing) and can still get massive amounts of money. And in addition you lose absolutely NO science. Ha ha ha ha, for trekkies it sounds like Ferengi heaven....

I use capitalization once and once only - the turn bfore the spaceship lands and my democracy is at 100% luxuries. The turn before that everything currently in progress is rushbuilt to have a clean slate for capitalization on the final turn.

I am basically a lazy person so often I will set an appropriate number of cities building wonders.Let them accumulate maybe 40-100 sheilds,then switch them to capitolization.When the time comes,switch them to spaceship parts and buy up any excess.

Other than that,I only use it when I don't want to bother with a city anymore.

It can useful in MP games if you should actually get that far in one :(

i used to have to use capitalization in the game because i was slow in science. I had to actually wait for my techs in order to build improvments, so i had some cities in capitalization. Not anymore, my game has improved much, (thanks to this forum :goodjob: ), and now i will only use it in the end of the game.

A good strategy with it is to set a few high productive cities to capitalize, then you can lower the tax rates and increase science.

Capitilization costs the same amount of shield as Apollo program. I don't understand what you mean by it "cost" nothing and you don't "build" it.

My situation right now is I have all the science done. (Future tech 7). And 4 civs including me are in the space race. Is it a good idea to have capitilization?

Capitilization costs the same amount of shield as Apollo program. I don't understand what you mean by it "cost" nothing and you don't "build" it.
There IS NO COST to capitalism. It simple CONVERTS SHIELDS TO GOLD. PERIOD. When you switch production from say a battleship (let's say 80 shields), you'll loose half by switching to capitalism (40 will be "stored") for when you come out of capitalism one day. CAPITALISM MAKES SHIELD NET OUTPUT INTO GOLD, ONE FOR ONE.

You do not BUILD capitalism There is NOTHING TO BUILD. It is a conversion.

My situation right now is I have all the science done. (Future tech 7). And 4 civs including me are in the space race. Is it a good idea to have capitilization?
Maybe.... depends. If a city has nothing else to do, then yes... might as will do capitalism for a few turns.... I build freight, until the commodities dry up. Then capitalism. Back to freight when commmodities return to the city.

Capitalization does not cost shields. Yes, it has the same "turn-count" as 600-shield wonders like Apollo. IGNORE THAT "TURN COUNT". It will tell you that there is a certain number of turns before it's completed. THAT IS A *LIE*.

The brackets around the word (Capitalization) and the brackets around the turn count, like (50 turns) mean that Capitalization isn't really an improvement.

That's what we mean when we say you don't build it. Try buying Capitalization. You can't, because Capitalization isn't something you can buy. The game is LYING to you by listing Capitalization as an improvement. PRETEND IT'S NOT IN THAT MENU.

Instead, pretend Capitalization is a button on the city screen. Pretend that when you press this button, the "shield-box" DISAPPEARS. Now look at where your shields were. You will see they have turned to gold coins, meaning that instead of adding shields to a shield-box, they add gold coins to your money.

The reason why they put Capitalization in the improvement box is so that you can see that something is PREVENTING YOU FROM BUILDING. When you "hit the Capitalization button", you can't build anymore - all your shields are coins! - and they represent this by placing Capitalization in the box where you normally see what you're building.

The reason you might want to "hit the Capitalization button" is if the city's finished building. Let's say you don't want any more units, and you've built all the buildings you could possibly want. A city will still produce some number of shields per turn. Instead of building units and buildings you don't want, switch the city to Capitalization. As I said above, that city will stop building - all of its shields will become gold coins.

-Sev

Never build capitalization. Caravans/freights are always better. Why getting 1$/shield when you sometimes can get even 25???

I`m new to the forum here, and I am glad to finally be a part of it
:D
When it comes to capitalization, I normally only use it when I have built all improvements and have many cities (25+) hence, late in the game... I am aware of the freight advantages, but when I have that many cities, it takes too much time to control all of them.

I always come to the point where I dont need more money anyway (since the maximum amount is 30000)

Never build capitalization. Caravans/freights are always better. Why getting 1$/shield when you sometimes can get even 25???
The main reason is your commodities will dry up.... you can only build food caravans in most citeis,after the commodities are gone. But after some time, usually a new commodity or two will show up again. So use Cap. when you have nothing else to do, or when you don't want to be bothered withthe city, like near the end of the game :)

I`m new to the forum here, and I am glad to finally be a part of it
Welcome to CFC, Cilpot!

Thanks, I was fooled by the number of turn it takes to build it. Now I know.

I have a couple of cities with 30+ pop. and every city improvement and all the the freight can carry is food supplies. So I guess now it's a good time to "build" capitilization.

Cool, thanks everybody

P.S. I have more than 30,000 gold. So that can't be true.

TT, is sounds like it's time to spend some of that gold! Go buy some nieghboring cities! Bribe some units!

I tried. But one city costs 12,000 gold to subvert!!!:eek:

With that much money, I can only get 2 cities!!!

In my current Japanes "infinite game" (see the thread in the Civ General Discussion forum, titile infinite time), I have 75,000 gold give or take. Most of my cities are in capitalism, those that aren't are building food caravans or regular city improvements. Capitalism is good for taking taxes down to 0 (ONLY for 1-2 turns, and ONLY if you have tons of cash), and putting lux @ 100. It gives me money to rush build anything, like tons o engineers for converting mountains/desert/ice/plains to fertile grassland.

tesla, u seem to be rather cheap, u have tons of gold, so spend it, it will only take a little while to get more gold

I spend about 5,000 gold per turn rush building city improvements in some of my cities. And I like to keep around 15,000 gold in case an enemy takes over my city, I can take it back.

And I did start to spend some of the money. I have about 25,000 left at the end of each turn.

if you have a lot of money near the end of a game, you should always be able to easily build and finish the largest spaceship possible. With that much money, you can buy all the parts before the AI can finish their spaceship. Thats what i do sometimes.

Top Bottom