1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Capture of migrating animals

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Naokaukodem, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Naokaukodem

Naokaukodem Millenary King

Thinking about what could be Civ5, I saw myself to want some kind of smooth representation of the nature. Among migrating animals.

Then I thought: could this be a mod for Civ4? Like animal ressources aren't first attached to a tile anymore, until we capture and make a farm to pop up from them like a colony in Civ3 with a worker. Another reference to Civ3 is the slave workers that one could get from a winning battle with a special unit. (I think it was Maya but am unsure) So what about to put such a feature in Civ4, like when a hunter kill an animal, he gets a special one-use unit (worker-like) that would pop a farm up where he desires?

What do you think?

2. Fabrysse

Fabrysse Charming-snake learner

I think it could be a Mod... You could have some animals unit (like actual lions, bears, etc) with very little attack points, and when you attack them, you obtain some food for the nearest city...

3. Naokaukodem

Beh... Not really. I mean a unit would be created if you beat the animal, like a slave worker in Civ3. Then, you pop a farm with this new created unit. But now I doubt if this is feasable as ressources are predefined at the start...

Anyway, the idea was to make the map live, so adding some moving and peacefull animals could add some environment.

4. Fabrysse

With Python :

On the event "onUnitKilled", you could get the plot where the unit was killed and use this function : CyPlot.setBonusType(BonusType eNewValue)

5. Naokaukodem

Which translates in? :p

6. Duke176

Duke176 Warlord

Translation:

you create an Event "onUnitKill", that after checking "if killed unit = animal", saves the tile where the unit was killed and than, in that plot, you "set-new-bonusType(-from-bonusType eNewValue-list of bonuses-).

This is the translation:
    check in your EventManager.py inside \...\Python dir (I think it's right) and look how does it works.
    Shouldn't be so hard to create a new unit.

7. Fabrysse

"onUnitKilled" = when a unit is killed

"CyPlot.setBonusType(BonusType eNewValue)" = On a given point of the map, add a bonus of a type.

You'll have to know a little of python language to translate your idea to be understandable by the computer. :p

EDIT: Oups ! Duke176 wrote faster than me...

8. Naokaukodem

Well ok but there's a little problem... I can't find the Civ4 editor...? :mischief:

9. ollj

ollj Warlord

just find the sticky treads in this subforum

10. Naokaukodem

If I were a programmer, I would not have created this topic in the first place. This topic was open suggestion for modders, now if you're not interested, this is too bad. :( The thing is to know if this is a good idea or not a so good idea...

11. Sarke

Sarke Warlord

We have plans to do something similar to this in our Post Apocolyptic mod...basicly you have to fight the animals and capture them...then they create a unit that can settle into a unit... we are also going to make it so if you raze the tile the razing civ gets a new unit of the same type (stealing the herd so to speak)... it's a great idea :)...

12. Naokaukodem

Thanks for the note. Yeah it's great, especially for the graphics: having animal wandering on the map would be very relaxing to me, I want it from a certain time already. Plus if we can interact with them, it's cool.