Caveman2Cosmos v43 download from ModDB - Trojan Virus!?

Solitude102

Chieftain
I was looking forward to playing the latest version of Caveman 2 Cosmos as it's been a while for me. However, the download/file from modDB.com was blocked by Chrome due to a virus being detected 🤔.
At first I thought that maybe it's just because it's an old game and henceforth a misconception with how overtly protective security programs can be, but I inquired further and found a heinous report via' Windows Security.
There was a Trojan:Win32/Spursint.F!cl found in the download! Uhh.. is there anywhere I can safely download the game?

Attachments

• Failed - Virus Detected.png
    Failed - Virus Detected.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Trojan - Threat Blocked.png
    Trojan - Threat Blocked.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 49
I was looking forward to playing the latest version of Caveman 2 Cosmos as it's been a while for me. However, the download/file from modDB.com was blocked by Chrome due to a virus being detected 🤔.
At first I thought that maybe it's just because it's an old game and henceforth a misconception with how overtly protective security programs can be, but I inquired further and found a heinous report via' Windows Security.
There was a Trojan:Win32/Spursint.F!cl found in the download! Uhh.. is there anywhere I can safely download the game?
It's a false positive, there is no virus in our mod.
If you don't trust the ModDB upload then SVN is an alternative way to get the mod, it is a little bit more up to date than the v43 you'll find on ModDB. SVN version get weekly updates, and is more a beta than the rare uploads we put up on ModDB, the current SVN version is a very stable release btw, though in general we can't guarantee stability for all SVN versions, but you control when to update it. https://github.com/caveman2cosmos/Caveman2Cosmos/wiki/Using-SVN
v43 on ModDB does correspond to a specific SVN version which we felt was stable enough to warrant a ModDB release.

Thanks for the relatively quick response. I believe it as I have used the mod before without issue. Nevertheless, I'll try the SVN version. Cheers! 😅

Have seen this false positive reported before. It's not impossible that there's some bit of code that comes up as recognized that overlaps it... and who knows... maybe we ARE infected in some way, but it's certainly not by any of our design and it's been many years since I saw any sign of this and no problems reported.

Top Bottom