Changing the Civ V Music

usadefcon1

Prince
After 1,600 hours of play I've finally decided I can't listen to the songs anymore and decided to change the music. Some tips on how to do it:

Civ music files are .ogg files. To change the music simply copy the name of the .ogg file you want to replace, and rename the desired file with the same name.

However you must keep the .mp3 from the new file. I've found that if you rename the .mp3 to .ogg it doesn't work.

So OpeningMenu_Exp2.ogg (old file) becomes OpeningMenu_Exp2.mp3 (new file)

Then delete (or move) the old OpeningMenu_Exp2.ogg file.

If the same song keeps repeating try restarting your computer. Not sure why but this seems to help.

In the Steam workshop there is a mod called Music Changer. You can't pick a song but at least it will skip the one you are currently playing.

The music folders (for Steam) are:

Intro song:
...\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Sounds\Streamed\Music\OpeningMenu_Exp2.ogg

Ambient music:
...\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\Sounds\Streamed\Music
These are sorted by geographic area of the leader you are playing with, so if you are Spain you would change the music in the Europe folder.

Leader music:
...\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\DLC_Deluxe\Sounds\Streamed\Music\Leader Music
...\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion\Sounds\Streamed\Music\Leader Music
...\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Sounds\Streamed\Music\Leader Music
These are the songs that play after the intro music and when you are on the trade screen.

Why not just mute ingame music and play on Spotify or Youtube?
Yes despite great music eventually it gets too repetetive, no matter if its civ4,5 or hmm series.
Its been sometime since I played turnbased with ingame music on.

Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't JFD's Cultural Diversity do this? I've played with that mod for a long time and the music is definitely different.

Hmm I will try it out, but last I checked it was incompatible with VP.

Does it add new songs or replace the existing ones?

Hmm I will try it out, but last I checked it was incompatible with VP.

Does it add new songs or replace the existing ones?
I'm pretty sure it adds a lot but like I said I'm not quite clear. Different civs have unique music, and it's always seemed like quite a lot. The folder is 4.24 gigs. I do use an old version, however, I'm not sure if he ever put out a soundtrack for the newer versions. The old version really doesn't do a lot and I've never had problems with it. Someone at least used to have the 07a version of the soundtrack and v17 of the core mod linked in cultural diversity forum, and that's what I use.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it adds a lot but like I said I'm not quite clear. Different civs have unique music, and it's always seemed like quite a lot. The folder is 4.24 gigs. I do use an old version, however, I'm not sure if he ever put out a soundtrack for the newer versions. The old version really doesn't do a lot and I've never had problems with it. Someone at least used to have the 07a version of the soundtrack and v17 of the core mod linked in cultural diversity forum, and that's what I use.

The soundtrack component of Cultural Diversity works, adds extensive music, and is compatible with VP. I have installed it multiple times on different pcs and different VP versions. You need to install an older version of the core cultural diversity module (I used v17) which will give a couple of cosmetic bugs if used with VP but otherwise not negatively impact anything (disclaimer: I cannot give guarantees you will NOT get problems doing this, just that in my experience I have never had issues that I was aware of). Since JDF removed his soundtrack from the mod at some point, the core cultural diversity module available from steam WON'T work with the soundtrack, again in my experience. I'm not sure if JFD or anyone else claims it will.
For anyone's clarity: you are not installing the cultural diversity mod itself, just the soundtrack folder, and the core component which allows the soundtrack to be active in your game.

Top Bottom