Civ Bonuses--is Rome clearly the best?

If you play egypt and take the Tradition social policy you get a +55% to building wonders.

Which is completely useless when Babylon is bulbing wonder techs 20-50 turns before Egypt has access to them.

Rome's ability is decent, but like most people here, I don't think it's near the top. The two city-state abilities (Greece/Siam) are strong. Babylon's is very strong. France is strong. Japan is very strong. Frankly, I think it's refreshing to see the developers going with "If Everything is overpowered, nothing is overpowered!"

Haha, yeah, I love how all races have overpowering tech. Its a great way to balence, and it was one of the reasons I loved Civ Revolution (I mean, how can you not love the fact that every race had FIVE unique abilities?)

Not only do I not agree with this statment in ANY way but I do not at all like the Glory of Rome ability to be honest. It does nothing if the building in not in your capital and all spamming buildings will do is drain your tresuary.

Personaly one of my fav abilities is the Germans because you have a constant armory, but the Indians could also be very useful. Also I am play as the aztecs right now and since I am constantly in war there ability is giving me quite a bit of culture. And the Americans manafest destany is also hands down better.

To be honest if I had to rate to Romans ability the only civ's i find more useless is the Iriqous with that stupid trees are roads thing but ony inside your cultral boundry.

Well, that may be true if you are going use it to put every building in every city. They key to this UA is to stockpile the buildings in Rome. Build them there as soon as they are available. Then, with your other cities, you can quickly put the building that you need for its specialization. That would help ease the maintenance cost.

That said, it all does kind of play into Rome historically. Rome grew pretty large and the biggest downfall was the cost of running such a vast empire. With all of the buildings that you can build along with the road network that can be created by legions, there is potential for falling into the same trap. The challenge is managing the UA and avoiding the "too big for their own britches" mistake.

Rome's ability is decent, but like most people here, I don't think it's near the top. The two city-state abilities (Greece/Siam) are strong. Babylon's is very strong. France is strong. Japan is very strong. Frankly, I think it's refreshing to see the developers going with "If Everything is overpowered, nothing is overpowered!"

Me too! :goodjob:

The leader abilities are one of the things I like most in Civ 5 over 4. They really add flavor and make a huge difference. Plus most of them feel OP in some scenario or another, and that's fun as compared to blandness.

(Egypt also gets the burial tomb. 2 culture and 2 happiness for 0 maintenance? Yes pls!)

rome unique unit timing fits in quite well with launching massive assaults after some form of early expansion/growth

even in peace, it's very common to be making happiness/culture/science buildings in alot of your cities
a 25 percent bonus to that is really useful

OTOH, it seems they took the same view with wonders, except in the reverse direction. They nerfed all wonders so much that everything just kinda balanced out. Except now most wonders aren't worth anything close to their cost in hammers.

Say what you will about balance in this game, but this thread shows me more than anything else that this game is very balanced. Tailor your playstyle to the civ and you will be rewarded.

I'm near the end of my Indian civ. At the moment I have about 20unhappiness from number of cities, 95 unhappiness from the size of my cities. For a total of 115 unhappiness. If you reverse the numbers to looks like another civ would experience, at that size, it would be 10/190. For a total of 200. So that means you'd need 17 colliseums or so (I built those as well), in addition to everything else I did.

I'm sure we've all experienced the point where we can't expand anymore, unless we face a significant happiness hit. This made expnasion less of an issue until the very end, when I started conquering.

Top Bottom