Civ I Dogma Manifesto

monamipierrot

Chieftain
I believe in one Game which is three: Civilization the father, WinCiv the son and holy spirit of CivNet.
I believe The Game is the same as Life: there's only one and can't be replayed if something goes wrong.
I believe there's no fun if there's no thrill.
I believe the Militia can defeat the Battleship. (Audience repeats: I believe the Militia can defeat the Battleship).

1. Play as Emperor
2. Do not play on Earth
3. Play with 7 civilizations
4. Control only one civilization
5. Never re-load game
6. Play to win
7. Do not cheat
8. Never take advantage of the load-turn bug
9. Do not build railroads on the ocean (this sounds quite wise)
10. Do not take advantage of any bug

And the last: Treat the CPU as you would treat a human being: do not cheat, just beat him!

Audience: "Take your time. Think as a whole. Take in consideration any detail. Assume your risks."

This DOGMA Manifesto has been developed for having a satisfactory experience in advanced Civilization playing.
The Dogma Manifesto is useless if you play with other humans, of course, and the thrill to play against another guy is impossible to achieve in against-CPU playing, of course, but this doesn't allow anyone to cheat with the CPU.
To play this way and win at Emperor level IS possible (I did it several times) but requires you to be an expert and being very flexible.
Anytime anywhere one vessel of those useless Indians could desembark plenty of troops in the heart of your empire. (It happened to me). You'll have to make them jump back in the sea. Anytime anywhere the peaceful Romans and the peaceful Aztecs could combine a stab-in-the-back strike against you with two atomic bomb, the roman one on your capital city, the aztech one on your bigger size 23 people city, without you having even the technology of Rocketry. (It happened to me, how can I forget the alarm noise at the beginning of the turn, 9/11 of 1842?). You'll have to make piece with the Aztecs and start a endless Vietnam war against the Romans.

I applied the DOGMA with Alpha Centauri, difficoulty level "Transcendent", and it was the 1st time I played it seriously (reading the manual and so on). I finished the game (The Hive) at the 1st try. Yeah. Back to CIV, please, although Alpha is a great piece of software.

Please comment this ideas of mine.

H.

"There are many paths up the Mountain, but the view of the moon from the top is the same."

Ancient Japanese saying

I need to work on 1 & 2, out of my skill and preference, respectively.
How many times has someone seen a militia beat a battleship (no fortify, terrain, city, vet., etc. bonuses)? (On second thought, meeting the terms in the parentheses may prove... difficult.)

Lately Its been my experience that nothing can resist a diplomat with enough money. I like to play to maximize the cash flow and then buy the world.

Can't bribe a city with a Palace :-(

But you CAN use a hex editor, switch sides, sell the Palace, switch back, and voila! :)

Or just use TerraForm, edit the city, and uncheck the Palace, and voila! :)

Decided to try out a game following this... Playing as Babylonians, started on an average-sized continent alone and with good terrain (grassland, rivers, forests, etc.) Just made contact with the French.

I believe in one Game which is three: Civilization the father, WinCiv the son and holy spirit of CivNet.
I believe The Game is the same as Life: there's only one and can't be replayed if something goes wrong.
I believe there's no fun if there's no thrill.
I believe the Militia can defeat the Battleship. (Audience repeats: I believe the Militia can defeat the Battleship).

1. Play as Emperor
2. Do not play on Earth
3. Play with 7 civilizations
4. Control only one civilization
5. Never re-load game
6. Play to win
7. Do not cheat
8. Never take advantage of the load-turn bug
9. Do not build railroads on the ocean (this sounds quite wise)
10. Do not take advantage of any bug

Please comment this ideas of mine.

H.

I play by those rules every time, except I sometimes play Earth just to try to recreate history which of course never happen like Play England and do a big Colonization, alway ends up with that my colonizations in Africa dies and Australia gets biggest and later conquere the word.

But Civilization I is too easy, even on EMPEROR level, I can be behind in technology and just wait for the Aztec or someone to come.. I give them one city and then I got a lot of diplomats and catapuls/chariots outside to take it back either by armies (of course I send in a diplomat first to steal one random technology), if that fails I buy it back and then get technology STEEL :) then I buy a Battleship, goes together with a sail or whatever and pick any coast enemy city.. take technology to make Nuclear and if someone is close enough to send up a space ship I take their capital.

One of your 10 rules should be " Do not use Nuclear (at least unless no CPU does it first) I don't like it but can use it to stop someone from send up a space ship.

I need to work on 1 & 2, out of my skill and preference, respectively.
How many times has someone seen a militia beat a battleship (no fortify, terrain, city, vet., etc. bonuses)? (On second thought, meeting the terms in the parentheses may prove... difficult.)

Didn't understand if you liked my defense of Militia can beat the battleship, a known "Issue" of Civilization which have been changed in Civ2.
For those who don't like it, I explain my believes.
No one saw a battle between a Battleship and a Militia in real life. And no one did see a battel between cannons and archmen before Columbus found Americas. It's a matter of probabilities, very low of course. It's still quite difficoult that in Civ you find a Militia when you are patrolling enemy coasts with your battleship in year 1900. But it can happen.
And which are the odds?
If you attack a non-vet militia on plain ground with your unexperienced battleship, it's simply 12 out of 13 for you. This is something like 92% of times. Fair. In real life you're bombing a coastal area looking for a group of light-weaponed people who may trench themselves and waiting that the fire rain stops. With some luck for them, you would have to continue the bombing (Civ doesn't allow a draw) till they die but in doing this you have to get nearer to the coastal area, and take some risks (the Invincible Armada was destroyed by a storm, after all).
If you're in a dock of a city, the heroic militians may also take advantage of it, try to reach and sabotating the battleship from inside and having it destroied.
Of course if they do try to attack you, the odds are much fewer for them.
Is it hard to believe the powerful soviets withdrew from Afganistan? Is it hard to believe that Che Guevara ridiculized many south american regular armies with some dozens of guerrilla soldiers? I can believe anything.
So...
The militia can defeat the battleship (with a LOT of luck). Fair.

H.

P.S. Still waiting for what happened in your new CivDogma game.

Man, wish I had the will to play under those rules. However, another one that I do play by is:

* Only use the original city names and never modify the name of a city.

For some odd reason it always bothers me to see something like "Fredville"

Can't bribe a city with a Palace :-(

But you CAN use a hex editor, switch sides, sell the Palace, switch back, and voila! :)

Or just use TerraForm, edit the city, and uncheck the Palace, and voila! :)

...mmmhhh... let me see if my Holy Rules allow this...

If you attack a non-vet militia on plain ground with your unexperienced battleship, it's simply 12 out of 13 for you. This is something like 92% of times.
Ouch! of course, 18 out of 19!, more than 94% of times.
And defending against a "terrorist" (or "heroic", depending on which side you watch at things....) strike of the militia counts for 92% odds.
It makes sense.

Hi guys, i ve been trying to beat Civ for Windows (settings: "New game", "emperor", "7 civs") but i failed every time.

My strat: i go for a settler boom (+/- 15 cities) with low taxes and high science, i try to make a lot of trade and i switch to monarchy/republic/democracy when i get them. But doing all this i only managed to survive and lose vs their spaceships.

Could u please give me some advice? Thx!

Hi guys, i ve been trying to beat Civ for Windows (settings: "New game", "emperor", "7 civs") but i failed every time.

My strat: i go for a settler boom (+/- 15 cities) with low taxes and high science, i try to make a lot of trade and i switch to monarchy/republic/democracy when i get them. But doing all this i only managed to survive and lose vs their spaceships.

Could u please give me some advice? Thx!

Before I could win an emperor game I died like 20 times, much before spaceships.
Experiment, be smart.
And of course, use the force.

H.

Top Bottom