Civ4 Unit Graphics Pipeline

hangman

almost-scientist
I'm finding that I'm much faster at working with meshes in Blender than getting units into Civ5, so I'd like to start a thread for unit graphics modders who may not be as skilled with Blender, but are still adept at rigging units for use in Civ5.

There are still a TON of Civ4 units that have never been converted to Civ5. Danrell's unit packs probably represent something like 20% of the better quality ancient units available in Civ4. Not only that but danrell (for unfortunate reasons) has not been around since before BNW was released, which means there are no ethnic unit sets for BNW civs (as well as some others that weren't in Civ4 at all), even though the units do exist.

Many of these units can be found in the History Rewritten, Varietas Delictat, Caveman 2 Cosmos, and Sword of Islam mods. To view these, you will need Nifskope as well as FPAK, a tool for extracting and compressing graphics files in Civ4, but you don't actually need to have Civ4. For those who do have Civ4, some ethnic units also exist in the BTS expansion pack. Bakuel has also recently released a massive collection of historically accurate Indonesian units. Finally, there are other units of varying quality scattered throughout the Civ4 modding community.

So with that, I'd like to form a unit graphics team, where duties are based on skill level. I think it would be best to break down these duties into segments, so team members can perform the duties they are best at. By keeping it broad, we can also bring in people who are not as skilled, but can perform time-consuming duties as well as anyone else. If you would like to join the pipeline, please post here, and I may set up an SVN or dropbox or something if we get a few members. I can also link to some tutorials if needed. NOTE: Modders who are capable of adding Civ5 units from start to finish (i.e., basically all current unit artists) are classified as "high skill" here. As you can see though, there are important jobs for less-skilled community members!

Here is an outline of what to expect for each segment:

Importers: (medium skill)
Goal: to fix broken or messy NIF files for importation
  • Can fix NIF files for importing into Blender if they are broken, messy, or poorly structured

The animations for the mesh should be decided at this point.

Meshers: (high skill)
Goal: to make Blender file ready for ready for rigging and export. Also, this stage should include baking one texture per final mesh (usually one).
  • Can create and texture new meshes in Blender, if necessary
  • Can edit vertices, edges, and faces in Blender to clean up unnecessary vertices and reduce polygon count where possible.
  • Can join meshes in Blender
  • Can bake textures in Blender
  • Can apply teamcolor (basically alpha in GIMP/Photoshop)
  • Can create a dummy bone for local effects, and edit .ftsxml files accordingly

Riggers: (medium skill)
Goal: to rig the mesh to an existing Civ5 model.
  • Can create vertex groups and assign vertices to vertex groups
  • Can translate/rotate/scale meshes

Exporters: (high skill)
Goal: to export and correct models
  • Can identify and correct Blender issues
  • Can export to NexusBuddy and import into Civ5 successfully

Coders: (low skill)
Goal: to facilitate exporters by writing code snippets
  • Can make .sql snippets
  • Can edit .fxsxml files (basically ctrl+c/ctrl+v)
  • Can edit ftsxml files (medium skill for adding nonlocal effects and sound)

I like your thinking here. This would defiantly streamline the process of converting units. I have wasted many an hour cleaning up imported nif files in blender. Then testing units takes time as well. Time for me is still the biggest problem even though the process is so much smoother now thanks to Deliverator. I am getting lots of requests for unit conversions and I just don't have the time to do them all.

So we would defiantly need some sort of workshop to work out which units to convert in which order.

Anyway count me in for which ever segment you see fit.:)

For me, everything from rigging on down seems to take progressively longer. I've gotten good enough at Blender to where I don't usually have that many mistakes on my first export go-round, so I think I'd do best as a mesher, and I can probably be the importer for now. For me, it's usually some combo of Blender mistakes, NexusBuddy screw-ups, and SQL derps that bogs down my progress.

So it sounds like you'd be most comfortable with rigging/exporting? Since you're pretty skilled, we can delegate rigging to newcomers if/when we get someone.

As for SVN structure, I want to keep it as organized as possible, so maybe we could have six main folders: five for each in-progress stage and one for the final package to be uploaded on the CF downloads database. Once someone has completed a phase, they'll copy their working folder to the next segments folder for someone else to pick up. I guess I could write some guides in each folder for what incoming and outgoing project folders should include as well.

As it is, I'm cleaning up some ethnic missionary meshes, so maybe we can make that our first group task. After that, I'd like to do ethnic workers. From there, I don't have any particular plans, but I'd like to create ancient unit packs (a la Danrell) for civs that don't currently have one, particularly Polynesia, Morocco, and Indonesia.

Hi Hangman, did you get anyone else or is it just us at the moment? Also I don't have a souceforge id as I have never used it. Can you just make one for everyone to access?

I recruited Natan35 for rigging, no one else atm.

So I have the project on sourceforge because it makes version control easy, and it also allows multiple contributors. Once you get it set up, it's actually pretty simple.

While I like and approve of this idea, I think I'll stay apart from it. Maybe I'm a bit of a control freak but when I convert a unit I want to be the one that does every part of the conversion process. Also I can't be depended on to stick to a modding schedule.:p
But if you have some stuff stuck at some phase or another and you don't want to do it, don't hesitate to call me in.:)

I recruited Natan35 for rigging, no one else atm.
:faint:

:lol: I mean, it's not like I have him doing custom animations lol. But yeah, I've set this up so that you can come and go as you please. My idea is that if you have a spare hour, you can work on it, upload it to SVN, and be done.

I bow down to the epic artists! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

One thing I mentioned to Wolfdog, and might really help out - can you please do some video tutorial and put them on youtube?

I know there are written tutorial, but it's a whole different matter watching some video and actually seeing how it's done.

There are a lot of free tools out there to capture screen video and mic audio - or use a video camera and film the computer screen.. whatever works. It would certainly allow me to contribute, since I have no background in 3d modeling.

Top Bottom