Civilization 2 on android

WilsonCLX

Chieftain
Although I also have it on PC, I like to play it anywhere with my cell phone.

I emulated Windows 3.1 with Magic Dosbox. But I still don't know how to get the high councilor and wonder videos to work, never mind, the game works great.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220910-214137_Magic DosBox.jpg
    Screenshot_20220910-214137_Magic DosBox.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 105
But I still don't know how to get the high councilor and wonder videos to work, never mind, the game works great.
I'm pretty sure the game tries to read those directly from the CD, and also that a .iso file doesn't store that extra media.

I run the MGE high council, wonders and diplomacy herald videos all off my hard drive. I don't use the CD for anything other than music.

If you copy the VIDEO and KINGS folders off your cd and put the folders in your Civ2 install folder the game should hopefully start using them as that's how I have things setup. Although admittedly I'm not sure if it's Civ2UIA allowing this or whether you can do it with a vanilla MGE install. I keep meaning to run a test in a VM but haven't got around to it. EDIT: I ran the test with a vanilla MGE install and videos played from the install folder just fine so it's not a Civ2UIA thing.

As for music yeah as the Prof points out you're going to be in trouble unless Magic Dosbox supports mounting BIN or IMG or other cd image formats (often accompanied with a CUE file that actually needs to be mounted instead of the image file) that include music tracks as ISO does not. In theory if a good image is mounted into the emulator your videos should work and you won't need to do the above video file copying trick over either.

Oh and it's also possible that your window 3.1 doxbox VM doesn't have the Indeo video codec installed on it which is why videos aren't working. Without that codec the game behaves like the videos aren't even there which can be misleading.

Last edited:
Thanks friends, I got the videos and the high council to work. Now, to play this gem on my cell phone 😊

The video codec they told me was missing, and now the videos of wonders and the high council work.

It's exciting to have this game on your cell phone😄. I have played a lot of Civ(1,2,3,4,5,6) they are all good, but civ2 is still my favorite. Thanks friends.

Thanks for this! Although it was a bit of a journey, I have Civ 2 working on MagicDosbox android, with wonder videos, high council and hearlds.

It was well worth the effort. Amazing to be able to play this game on the go. An added bonus is that FW is also Win 3.1x compatabile, which means all those scenarios compatabile with FW can also be played, which really opens up endless gameplay!

The one thing I failed at is the music, which is a key part of the Civ2 experience. Oddly, the CD is mounted correctly and the CD check does not appear at loadup. Further evidence that it is mounted correctly is the intro plays and also the council and hearlds. (I have subsequently copied the VIDEO and KINGS folders, thanks for the tip). However, when selecting music I get the CD Rom not present alert. Anyway, I know this is a long standing issue...I have Civ2 on Windows 7 PC and no music despite the CD spinning away in the hard drive:undecide: Easy solution though as mentioned, I just play the mp3 on background VLC player.

Thanks again for the post. This game really is special...

Last edited:
Thanks for this! Although it was a bit of a journey, I have Civ 2 working on MagicDosbox android, with wonder videos, high council and hearlds.

It was well worth the effort. Amazing to be able to play this game on the go. An added bonus is that FW is also Win 3.1x compatabile, which means all those scenarios compatabile with FW can also be played, which really opens up endless gameplay!

The one thing I failed at is the music, which is a key part of the Civ2 experience. Oddly, the CD is mounted correctly and the CD check does not appear at loadup. Further evidence that it is mounted correctly is the intro plays and also the council and hearlds. (I have subsequently copied the VIDEO and KINGS folders, thanks for the tip). However, when selecting music I get the CD Rom not present alert. Anyway, I know this is a long standing issue...I have Civ2 on Windows 7 PC and no music despite the CD spinning away in the hard drive:undecide: Easy solution though as mentioned, I just play the mp3 on background VLC player.

Thanks again for the post. This game really is special...
Hello.

How did you do it, did you install the game directly on the android root?

Hello.

How did you do it, did you install the game directly on the android root?
Hi

No, Civ2 is installed on Windows 3.1 in the same way it was done originally, via the setup file on the CD Rom.

Make sure you have Windows 3.1 mounted correctly and working properly on magicdosbox first.

As I said it did take a bit of work and tinkering, for me anyway!

Hello.

And do you think it's possible to do the same with civ 2 test of time and the TOTPP on an android? And make it all work as we do on a PC?

Hello.

And do you think it's possible to do the same with civ 2 test of time and the TOTPP on an android? And make it all work as we do on a PC?
Good question. I have not seen a demonstration of this.

For it to work, TOT requires Windows 95 minimum. So Windows 3.1 will not work as above.

Firstly a stable mounted Windows 95 OS would be needed on Android. No lag or bugs.

Then TOT could be installed. Again it would also need to be stable. I am not sure if it would work OK as seen with classic Civ2 above.

The TOTPP requires version 1.1. Would this work? In theory if Win95 and TOT are working, I see no obvious reason why the TOTPP would not work as it operates within TOT installed files I think.

Who knows if this is possible, but I won't be volunteering to try in the near future anyway! I will stick to Civ2 classic on Win3.1 for now!

Top Bottom