Civilization Quiz

Beam

Beat 'm up Scotty!
Retired Moderator
Just installed Civ I and did some playtesting and was entered in the Civilization Quiz!

Who knows the answer.

Got the manual btw, so no issues there.

Civ I is tediously slow on my Athlon, any suggestions?

Attachments

• usurper.jpg
    usurper.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 3,260
Originally posted by Beammeuppy
Who knows the answer.
Got the manual btw, so no issues there.
Well the answer is really easy, you don´t need the manual for that one. Btw, nor do you need the manual for any such question! :D
But why do ask it here? This isn´t a real quiz, just a safety measure against piracy!
Anyway the prerequisites for Plastics are Refining and Spaceflight, of course!
I just hope for you that you really own Civ1! :p
Civ I is tediously slow on my Athlon, any suggestions?
Run the game in real DOS mode, it is a DOS game after all! In windows you will always have these slowness problems, unless you turn on IBM speaker sound, that helps! :crazyeyes
Or buy WinCiv, the Windows version of Civ1.
:goodjob:

Originally posted by Lucky
Well the answer is really easy, you don´t need the manual for that one. Btw, nor do you need the manual for any such question! :D
But why do ask it here? This isn´t a real quiz, just a safety measure against piracy!
Anyway the prerequisites for Plastics are Refining and Spaceflight, of course!
I just hope for you that you really own Civ1![/B]

Hey Luck, this is :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . It is many years ago I had to answer this one AND I had to dig up the manual. If you want proof I have it please submit your quiz question. :cool: :cool:

Ah, now I understand, you wanted to start a cummulative Civ1 quiz. Well, I think the questions are really too easy, but oh well, here´s mine: :D
Btw, this is from WinCiv!

Attachments

• q1.gif
    q1.gif
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,974
That one is easy: Refining requires Chemistry and The Corporation (well, at least in Dos CIV). Got WinCiv as well, not sure where. :confused: :confused:

Correct! :D

The hardest part of the first quiz was to remember what the picture meant. It took me at least one minute before I recalled "Ah, platisc it is". (It has been at least seven years since I played Civ 1, so please do not tease me for having bad memory or such. ;) )

Once I got that the rest was easy. Hehe. The Civ 1 tech tree is burnt in my mind forever. :lol:

Hold on, I am in 1620 BC right now. Don't I get a next one in 1 AD? Oh yeah, switch to Democracy and develop like hell, just had Revolution, hehe.

This makes me feel nostalgic. Perhaps I should download the windows version (lost my original dos-copy years ago) and run a few games. :love:

Originally posted by Mr Spice
This makes me feel nostalgic. Perhaps I should download the windows version (lost my original dos-copy years ago) and run a few games. :love:

Yep, something else. I just switched to Democracy and doing TWO turns / dev. You have to home all units however in order to keep'm happy. :crazyeyes :crazyeyes :crazyeyes

I am more than willing to upload my Dos version, yet not sure if this is ethically OK.

It is 1080 BC and Bachs Cathedral is inplace, I'm building railroads and caravans are all over the place!!!!!!

No culture flips, 0 city improvements, no corruption, everybody happy.

Is this Utopia? :love:

Originally posted by Beammeuppy

I am more than willing to upload my Dos version, yet not sure if this is ethically OK.

I would be very happy of course, and grateful and all that. But unfortunately I do not think it is legal, so perhaps you had better not to. :cry:

Cumulative quiz, eh....?

Here's a hard one: In the DOS version numbers, what does the 3rd digit mean?

i.e.: 474.05 or 475.05, what's the difference?

Anyone who answers that can ask the next question...

Guess version number is to easy, month of release perhaps?

btw, more or less "finished" the game I earlier started today. See attached pic. Why continue?

Attachments

• powergraph.jpg
    powergraph.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 829
Now try it again on a higher difficulty level. ;)

Wow, it's quite amazing that 10 years after civ1 release, and several month after Civ3 release, lot of people are still interested in the first opus. Maybe they're like me, nostalgic people. :)

Btw, the only thing I don't know by heart is the page number of each quizz answer :D Otherwise, I know everything.

Yes, nostalgic is the word. At least for me. I think that Civ 3 is the better game, but Civ 1 was my first computer game addiction. I guess there is no way beating that. :lol:

Originally posted by stormerne
Now try it again on a higher difficulty level. ;)

Agree, this is way to easy, the only thing left is to find the reincarnations and kill them off. Anyway, this was playtesting on Prince level and it is amazing to experience how straightforward the rules are, yet how it works out in gameplay. The old feeling of excitement is back immediately! :D :D :D :D

Prince for GOTM IMHO is way to easy, it should be King at least, please keep in mind I did not play this since Civ II release and just after the year 0 the only thing left is milking!

TTG how did I guess on the version numbers?

Originally posted by Lucky
Run the game in real DOS mode, it is a DOS game after all! In windows you will always have these slowness problems, unless you turn on IBM speaker sound, that helps! :crazyeyes
Or buy WinCiv, the Windows version of Civ1.
:goodjob: [/B]

Turning on IBM speaker sound under Windows makes indeed the difference. Performance goes from real sluggish to real excellent. And as an extra bonus you get some "real" music out of your PC speaker!

Luck, thnx for the tip! :goodjob:

Your guess is incorrect. This is only something that someone would know if they had bought 3-4 different copies of the game... I'm disappointed to see nobody here but me has done that. In any case, it means the distribution format. .04 is CD, .05 is floppy.

Here is one that somebody might actually get: According to the Civilization 1 game, each military unit (of any type - catapult, riflemen, bomber, diplomat, etc...) is composed of how many "people"?

Top Bottom