Conquests one step closer to perfection?

Well, last year before PTW came out, I emailed in numerous suggestions, which I thought were absolutely brilliant, then I spend the last year or so reading these forums off and on (I had no computer of my own at the time) and find out the many creative and smart people that share/d my wishlist.

I worked in the editor for days and weeks for create missing civs and extra improvements and wonders

PTW provided some of the civs that I thought were missing and made myself, such as the Spanish, the Vikings, the Mongols, and the Carthaginians. I really love what PTW has done, after seeing the screenshots off what's in the Conquests, I am going to explode in anticipation
:band: [dance]

I am happy to see that conquests looks to have included the Dutch (one I had created on my own as well), the Phoenicians, and I am loving the Mayans and Incas being included (love the ball court improvement and the sacrifice aspect, too :cool: ) .

I love the new traits, seafaring nad agricultural; I had made my Spanish, Dutch and Vikings civ seafarers without modding the tech tree, just with special units. The volcanoes will be sweet....but I hope as I had requested last year, that other disasters will be available.

I was excited to find out they even added SGL's which I had asked for (along with others I am sure). Canals would be great and I would like to see icebergs sink the odd ship in the early searfaring days, but my last request to make this game the greatest, IMHO would be this:

Allow two new features:

1.) The names of sections of the map, whether it be a lake, a river, a peninsula, an island, and strait, etc. These named regions could gain culture based on historic events taking place there, or could be traded as a specific property. You can only get the AI to trade cities if you are absolutely crushing them, and then it's small cities on the outskirts, nothing larger than pop 3. One could rush a settler over to the new land given in the settlement....this would be great to simulate and recreate things like the Louisiana Purchase and creating borders after WWII. Areas could have great culture depending on the magnitude of the war fought there, after a war you could name the sea, or desert, for example and it could collect some culture.

2. Have explorers (not scouts I don't think) become useful by letting them get promoted from regular to veteran and elite as well, by having them discover resources or other civs/barbarians. The more experience, the more lucrative/friendly the barbarians encouter. Depending on the reputation of your civ, or the ever increasing negotiation skills of your explorer, diplomacy with that new civ could be improved and they would like you more and be more willing to trade, or more hostile. Factors that could affect the reception of the explorer could be if your civ or the other civ is militaristic or commercial, the education/literacy level of your civ (ei. building the explorer in a city with a library/university would make a difference), the previous enconters with that scout/explorer. The more landforms named in honour of one civ could bring culture to the civ and promote the explorer, naming would be the first-come-first-serve mentality. Leaving an area named for one's civ with culture collecting colonies for several turns might give enough culture to flip a newly settled city :undecide:. Does that seem feasable?

I think it should be required that a scout or explorer go near another civ's land in order to contact them diplomatically, especially on different continents (while we're at it, maybe embassies should only be availble after nationalism? Maybe bring back the Marco Polo's embassy, but make it so you wouldn't need a scout/explorer in there vicinity :undecide: )

The point I wanted to make before the sin/cos, is that the experience of the explorer would increase the more land or sea lifted from the fog of war. I would like to see them as GL's as well, giving them the ultimate ability to built a colony with harbour capabilities from trade, getting the luxuries back home or perhaps just an extra movement point when on a ship or on land. Have the ADM increase like I have read about the units in the Japan Scenario for Conquests. The expansionist trait could benefit from somethign like this. (maybe commercial too) The improved ability for relations could result in trading for tech, resources, map, etc.
Maybe a bonus for being the first to make contact with all the civs on a map or just a new continent, like a promotion or something else, but that would be depandent on level of play, size of map, # of civs, etc.

Perhaps a special diplomacy screen for first contact with another civ, your chioces would get more advanced as the unit gets promoted (expansionist's explorers could be more likely to be promoted, much like units w/ militaristic civs) and with new techs.
You would have the choice of being peaceful or aggressive with them, thereby affecting the development of the explorer and the relations with the new civs.

Would this give people who complain about diplomacy, the extra kick they think it needs? Sorry, I if rambled a bit on the last one, but it's a little complex, and these other ideas kept popping my head! I am a fan of the history of exploration of our world, so putting this in the game would be great. Any comments of suggestions? Before I get married to the idea, I am willing to entertain some pre-nup suggestions. What do you guys think?

Conquests people, I hope you are reading this!:beer:

I agree with most of this, specially this:
"The more landforms named in honour of one civ could bring culture to the civ could bring culture to the civ and promote the explorer, naming would be the first-come-first-serve mentality. Leaving an area named for one's civ with culture collecting colonies for several turns might give enough culture to flip a newly settled city . Does that seem feasable?"

After all, it's just the expansion of some of the most important game concepts & it would make the game more fun! :)

Top Bottom