[GS] Consistent Ways to Provoke AI

ccubed

Chieftain
What are some ways,especially early game, to provoke an AI war declaration? I want to more consistently get the eureka bonus and avoid grievances from my own war decs.

Fortify one or two troops on separate tile at the border of the civilisation you want to provoke. He will ask whether troops are passing by or want to declare war. If you select passing by and continue to leave the troops near the border, it will downgrade your relationship and the that neighbouring civilisation may invade you. Many factors are involve whether the civilisation will invade you. If is a militaristic civilisation, then high chances it will invade you. I also noted that if you place too many troops near the civilisation, the unit may not invade you. I think it is based on troops ratio at the border as well.

other threads have mentioned, it seems like the AI needs to have scouted your capital in order to consider attacking.

Play on diety, build no units, tell the AI where your capital is, denounce them, forward settle them. Really easy. Just tested it too, worked flawlessly even with closest civ being china 25 tiles away.

1. Keep your units few and un-upgraded. That contributes to a low Military score, making the AI more likely to attack you. Once they do, you can purchase units or upgrade. For example, a common thing that I do is that I leave Machinery one turn from being completed (so I can keep making cheap Archers). And then whenever I need to, I can then quickly upgrade into Crossbowmen.

2. GS has really reworked warmongering with the Grievance system. In the early game, I have found that civs can easily hate you. In my first GS game, I did two early surprise wars (against Zulu and Mali). That generated 300 grievance, giving me a -30 malus with everyone else. Shortly after, all the other civs started denouncing me and later did a bunch of joint wars against me. Prior to GS, people wouldn't care because this is Ancient Era warmongering. Now, you get the diplomatic penalty straight off with the grievances.

Top Bottom