CotD development

A Golden Dragon

Golden Dragon
Some ideas.

units:
dragon guard,
priest units of some kind, but not like the others..
perhaps lesser dragons (S 9-12) (limited number)
a greater dragon for the holder of the wyrmhold, wich can, only defend. (guardian of the wyrmhold)

buildings:
temple of some sort
lair (needed to breed lesser dragons)

religion related events:
finding a dragon fossil
moving in to the dragon bones

make it a adoptable religion?

Breeding dragons seems very wrong. Dragons are the weapons forged by the gods in the godswar, and there is no evidence that any dragon has ever reproduced. I tend to think that dragon reproduction is physically impossible. Any dragons that enter the game would either have to be awakened from their slumber and taken out of storage, or brought back from the dead. Either way would involve complex rituals rather than breeding.

Considering that all the lore behind it makes it clearly a secret religion, I tend to think that no one should be able to adopt it.

It might be nice for at least some of its disciples to be invisible. It is generally subversive, s it may be appropriate for dragon priests to be uncontrolable. A permanent promotion with the effect of Enraged may be appropriate. Making the units AlwaysHostile could be fun too.

Whatever dragons you may add, they should not be as strong as those already in the game. (Although I tend to think they should all be made stronger.) No beast (or even archangel) is as strong as Eurabatres. All dragons are but poor imitations of this greatest of all creations.

Not every god made a dragon, but some made many. We know Eurabates is the only dragon of Amathaon, but the other dragons in the game might have siblings. I'd guess that they all have the same color as the others created to serve the same god.

I tend to think that Bhall may have created many such beasts, but Acheron (who rebelled against her as soon as he was created) was the greatest.

We know there was a Blue Dragon who was slain in the Age of Ice, and that a Blue Dragon is somehow associated with Luciaque's Pool. It isn't clear whose he was, but I tend to think he was a creature of Danalin who (like Leviathan) was driven insane by whatever destroyed the Aifons and was killed after an uncontrolled rampage that was very much out of his real character.

Since Sucellus did not intend to fight in the Godswar, he likely made no dragons even if he created the Big Apes to guard his lands. If he does have a dragon, I'd suspect a green dragon that breathes acid/poison and not fire.

I have trouble imagining Sirona or Arawn creating any dragons. Esus is also opposed to such a direct weapon, so he would make much more subtle beasts instead.

I have no real basis for this, but I think it could be cool for Lugus to have a Chrystal Dragon, whose body is luminous and entirely transparent.

Since Agares created no Angels, I highly doubt he made any dragons either. However, just as he managed to assemble the largest army of angels through corrupting the creations of the other gods he may possess the largest arsenal of dragons too. I rather like the idea that he possesses another Golden Dragon (well, a Black-and-Gold dragon) that was created from Eurabatres and the Black Mirror just as Hyborem was created from Cernunnos. Eurabatres may have just been Rabatres before adding the Eu (Greek for Good or True) to denote that he is the real Golden One and Agares greatest dragon (Disrabatres?) is an inferior copy.

...snip...
Since Agares created no Angels, I highly doubt he made any dragons either. However, just as he managed to assemble the largest army of angels through corrupting the creations of the other gods he may possess the largest arsenal of dragons too. I rather like the idea that he possesses another Golden Dragon (well, a Black-and-Gold dragon) that was created from Eurabatres and the Black Mirror just as Hyborem was created from Cernunnos. Eurabatres may have just been Rabatres before adding the Eu (Greek for Good or True) to denote that he is the real Golden One and Agares greatest dragon (Disrabatres?) is an inferior copy.

A great insight on dragons. :thumbsup:
I just popped in to note that Eu is pronounced Ef or Ev(with e having the pronounciation as in "egg"). And both pronounciations are correct and acceptable.

Breeding dragons seems very wrong. Dragons are the weapons forged by the gods in the godswar, and there is no evidence that any dragon has ever reproduced. I tend to think that dragon reproduction is physically impossible. Any dragons that enter the game would either have to be awakened from their slumber and taken out of storage, or brought back from the dead. Either way would involve complex rituals rather than breeding.

well, ahwaric mentioned in the other thread he wanted them to be able to breed, mentioning cerunnos feeling bad for the creatures and giving them this abillity.

and other wise, these lessers dragons could be weaker awakend ones, it does not really matter.

well i also could imagine that in some civ's (kuriotate and sheaim) it could be come more then a secret religion, i do not see this happening for the illians/mazatl... since the illians are more focused on bringing back mulcarn/ascending auric then on worshipping dragons, and the mazatl, well i don't know just doesn't feel like them

like the idea of disrabatres ;) thank you for your help ;)

Yes, a Dragon of only a few decades, can't be on par with the Age old Godcreated Dragons, mh?

well reading through some background info, i think that every dragon, or at least more, could be able to escape from the vault they are being held in. Eurabatres could escape because he wanted to, as he had a job to finish, all it took was time, not strength, to find a way out. Also it seems they can get help? (the sheaim have awakened abashi, and the orc's seem to have helped (without knowing) acheron returning)

also read that some of the dragons are male and female, what is the point in this if not breeding? if they where just weapons

Well does every dragon have to be HUGE? I just mentioned over on the Eastern flavored civ thread that why can't we have smaller dragons (Drakes or even wyverns) that are smaller, more like the dragons showcased in the Pern novels or the His Majesty's Dragon series.

These unit could be analogous to Griffin-riders but a whole lot nastier. I mean if someone bred Dragons, it implies there is a sort of 'lesser dragon' out there that furnished the original breeding stock.

Plus while I'm thinking it might be nice to have a Japanese type civ (the Senshi) have these lesser dragons, perhaps it might be better for the Matazl to have them instead of all those dinosaur animations. (Or at least if Orbis still has those: I don't like the Civ much so they only pop up if I happen to start a game with Random leaders by alignment)

I mean if those dinosaurs you see in the Matazl ranger & cavalry units animations exist, why doesn't everyone use them? :confused:

i agree on lesser dragons, and so does ahwaric, as he mentioned in the main orbis thread.

Or maybe like the yian kut-ku at Monster Hunter, the game. They have many different types of dragons you may be interested in getting ideas from

Top Bottom