deleted

If it's not too late, I'd like to chime in a little, just add my little 2 cents.

I also, like many others here, feel strongly that the cohesive DLC history we've had with CIV has been very mostly positive, be it R&F and GS for 6 or those for the previous version that, in my mind, greatly enhanced the experience.

Have they been all perfect ? No of course not. But I think that they've all been positive.

NFP, on the other hand, was in my mind an experiment on your part. Partly because of the Covid situation, partly (and I may be wrong here) for trying out a completely different development process from what had been used before, that fits better with the working from home paradigm.

While I'm not AS negative as most people here on the results of that experiment, I also feel that this is NOT what I'm hoping the future holds for the CIV Franchise. And the reasons is exactly as described by most other contributors here:

1) It's not cohesive with the global game at all. They're mostly great to interesting ideas that could've added depth to the game, but in the end they mainly wind up uninteresting because they're either broken or the player gets a LOT better advantage than the AI can.
2) I feel the cycle was too fast for the dev Team, or at least the QA in the dev team. Being from the IT world, I understand how the new dev processes all promise magical automated testing, but the bugs we've seen in NFP mostly seem related to global breaking of ANOTHER system in the game, not the actual system put in place.

As a result, and I'm talking FOR ME only here, I wind up using tech/civic shuffles all the time (this should have been in the original game btw, as a simple yes/no box option at game creation), Secret societies most of the time because I just love owls and Sanguine pact... Still, even here, 50% that I DON'T use....
As for the rest, Heroes and Barbarian clans were fun for a while but I turned them off now, Dramatic ages and Apocalypse I tried once and never returned. Zombies I never even tried it, but hey, that's just me... Monopolies and Corporations was a fantastic idea, unfortunately badly implemented and unuesable because of
a never fixed bug... Still can't get over than one, honestly !

In the end, I'm happy about one and a half of the 8 modes offered, plus ALL the new civs (this must be noted... new interesting civs are important). AND the game wound up pretty bugged after NFP, so I feel it's quite normal that we all feel VERY concerned about the possibility of this pattern repeating itself for CIV 7. I can't think of any way that analysis of the results from NFP could be construed as positive; The game wound up in bad shape because of this, and the only game saver is that we CAN turn them off. I know money speaks, but you guys must also be wary of the fact that many people bought NFP but would NOT buy it again...

My personal opinion is that the CIV franchise magic lies on two pillars: 1) A wide offering of Civs and Leaders that have abilities, strengths and weaknesses that greatly differentiate them from one another and 2) A collection of systems/features that also greatly helps replay value; Distinct maps, tiles features, resources, districts etc...
I sincerely hope that you guys will not stray too far from those two ingredients.

Finally, thanks for being on the lookout for our opinions. Very appreciated. Hope we hear from you soon :goodjob:

I'd say I have a fairly similar opinion. I do think the optional game mode setup of NFP worked because the features were mostly well beyond the scope of a regular civ game. Although I would probably argue that were the modes fully balanced and bug-free, Barbarian Clans and Monopolies should be 100% defaulted on in the same way that governors and loyalty are. Tech shuffle and Dramatic ages are very good "optional game modes" in the same mold as stuff like No Goody Huts, No Barbarians, etc... - sometimes it can be good to change it up and play that way, but I understand not wanting to play with them. The other modes tend towards the fantasy, and are more like playing a scenario on a regular civ map.

But yes, the problems to me were mostly:
-the cycle was too fast. Civ games are long, so personally I'd often barely get in a handful of games with the mode before the next ones were released.
-the cycle seemed rushed. Development is hard, I know. But most of the game modes had some serious balance issues or bugs on launch, and due to the way it worked, often didn't get corrected until 3-4 patch cycles later.
-the modes did not mesh. I think that's the nature of so many optional setups, they just end up with a very limited scope. It's like trying to load on a bunch of mods - the more you have, the more chance they step on each other and cause deeper issues. That just ended up causing the modes to feel too disconnected. There are no Secret Society policy cards. There's no Monopolies+Corps interaction with trade routes.

Especially as someone who basically buys all the expansions anyways, I'd rather one coherent full expansion rather than a set of disjointed smaller DLC, especially since NFP basically came in at the same price as a regular expansion pack without necessarily having more content than you would find in an expansion pack. But if the issues could be solved - ie. enough time for the DLC items to be properly balanced, and a more deep and thorough integration with the rest of the game components, then at that level it doesn't matter quite as much if the updates come all at once, or spaced out over time. The good part of the NFP was that each update, you could focus on the new feature, rather than having to learn a bunch of new stuff coming at once in an expansion.

I prefer the old fashioned expansions like Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm, spaced out about 1 year apart. However, I was thankful they continued to support the game and I was happy overall with the New Frontier pass, since it was all icing on the cake at that point. The civs they introduced were a lot of fun too. The extra game modes didn't do a lot for me overall...they just provide the player too large of a power spike, although I admit I use SS regularly. But 2020 and 2021 sucked overall and the extra Civ VI content was more than welcomed from my standpoint.

But if the issues could be solved - ie. enough time for the DLC items to be properly balanced, and a more deep and thorough integration with the rest of the game components, then at that level it doesn't matter quite as much if the updates come all at once, or spaced out over time.
I would much prefer spaced out content (better for this site apart from anything!) provided it was more polished. I don't mind if Modes don't integrate well with each other but all of them should integrate well with the base game. Maybe new content every 3 months over two years might work? Or perhaps every 2 months but have a new mode one update then two months later a new Civ or 2??

I prefer the traditional spaced-out expansions also.

NFP was an interesting experience but just seemed not very well-implemented in places, for all the reasons others have listed on here. And while it's nice to have some more Civs, for whatever reason the new leaders seemed to be lacking a sense of individuality to me (possibly due to the recycled animations).

I prefer the traditional spaced-out expansions also.

NFP was an interesting experience but just seemed not very well-implemented in places, for all the reasons others have listed on here. And while it's nice to have some more Civs, for whatever reason the new leaders seemed to be lacking a sense of individuality to me (possibly due to the recycled animations).
To be fair many GS leaders also had reused animations as well, so I wouldn't necessarily count that against the NFP. In fact they did go out of their way to create new animations at least for Ambiorix and Lady Trieu.

So far, thank you all! One question, though:
How comes, that David Ismailer's and Soren Johnson's events and game philosophy (about which Andrew Johnson's original question regarding difference and player's sentiment was) is so little talked about? I mean, he probably asked for that, because that is not already plenty covered in the fora here.

Btw, my favourite events are Solver's Golden Buddha & Controversial Philosopher made for civ4 (along with his guide to modding events in Beyond the Sword).
Hope to see anytime Roller Coaster & Nuclear Protests events in OldWorld's future, too.

I prefer the old fashioned expansions like Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm, spaced out about 1 year apart. However, I was thankful they continued to support the game and I was happy overall with the New Frontier pass, since it was all icing on the cake at that point. The civs they introduced were a lot of fun too. The extra game modes didn't do a lot for me overall...they just provide the player too large of a power spike, although I admit I use SS regularly. But 2020 and 2021 sucked overall and the extra Civ VI content was more than welcomed from my standpoint.
I agree, frontier pass was so entertaining, there was so much content that I'm still taking my time to look at it. Slowly but surely. The game modes like zombies and tech and civic shuffle I usually used the least but the rest of the modes were alright to use.

I feel I should note that Johnson and Ismailer have different roles. Johnson is the designer and head of a studio that has one game, Ismailer is the president (and not designer) of a company has almost 300 games. He may well have been referring to Borderlands, or WWE, or (what I think is 2K's largest game) NBA 2K. I don't know (and couldn't really say if I did).

I feel I should note that Johnson and Ismailer have different roles.
Of course. And you referenced different kinds of events.
He may well have been referring to Borderlands, or WWE, or (what I think is 2K's largest game) NBA 2K.
"You go to an amusement park, the more rides they have, the longer you stay there. Then sometimes the amusement park has a nighttime event and I stay until that event; they keep me in there. And occasionally they build a new roller coaster, and I come back to experience that roller coaster. We're building our games in the same way. We need live events, we need post-launch content, we need to keep the consumer engaged once they get in." - 2K president David Ismailer
As I understand it, he refers to no specific game, but more or less All "his" games. Not just Civilization, but also Civilization.

I followed the franchise from the beginning (then dark years of waiting in uncertainty; then civ2, Sid's first financially successful sequel of a game; a first peak: Alpha centauri; and then the all time high, civ4). The quoted spirit explains to me very well the changing ramifications since 2005, ie. civ4->civ5, civ5->civ6 and even more so within civ6, especially towards NFP.

Civ6 is in a state I have never expected to be possible. I learn, Firaxis games can now only be gauged at the end of the development cycle.

Civ6 is in a state I have never expected to be possible.

To clarify, in which direction did it go ? I assume you think it improved in a way you didn't expect, but see the topic about all the crashes, it gives something to think twice about it. (i'm not affected personnally)

It would help if there was some way to roll back the last patch. For me, the game is pretty much unplayable now.

I assume you think it improved in a way you didn't expect, but see the topic about all the crashes, it gives something to think twice about it.
I speak only for the PC platform. Crashes are mostly rare, specific Hardware / OS / user issues as long as you limit yourself to map & asset sizes it is intended for. Civ6's largest problems are: lots of unresolved balance issues to the degree of making entire mechanics or even the whole game obsolete by living out some features / gimmicks; many vestigial bugs, some of them gamebreaking -- nevertheless are in don't care state; some functionality is just not implemented, giving the human player even more (UNNEEDED) advantages, eg. I experience it borderline degrading to use Heroes against clueless AIs ...

To clarify, in which direction did it go ?
Hope this helps:
Just looking onto the packages you can find A DLC is a DLC is a DLC. The difference for the gamer is in how they are made.
Anton said in his last video, NFP as a whole delivered good results in terms of hours played. In what can be measured by STEAM, the NFP DLC Pack is good; Ismailer can be happy.
Have a look into the civ6 bug report subforum. NFP is in no good shape from a quality point of view. As is civ6 as a whole with such an endpoint.
Clever marketing can partly substitute expensive development time. Real communication deemed expendable ...
Also those two, who were able to articulate much better my thoughts than myself:
IMO, the extend of polishing and work on the AI which is done in the shadow of those content releases ...Old World feels very rounded (not a wonder with all the constant patching, we are at #91 IIRC) - all the parts seem to work together in a very thoughtful manner. It may come at the price of missing some stuff (like later eras) or offering "less in numbers" (civs, wonders etc.) And the first DLC which showed up didn't mess up this impression for me - even with an 8th civ added it still feels that "round".
Civ6 is different. As much as I like most of the stuff added in the two big expansions and the NFP itself, not everything we got appears as polished. There are quite a number of bugs left (and hope dwindles that we will see another patch...), from small (e.g. outdated Heureka descriptions) to big (e.g. gamebreaking policy card in Dramatic Ages mode) and the AI struggles heavily with some of the new content (e.g. effective cultists, monopoly mode), while it wasn't free of flaws before (e.g. tactical combat). I know that Civ6 and Old World are in different stages of their product life cycle (Civ6 is finished, while OW will likely still receive payed content), but my feeling is in the end OW will have less bugs and a better AI. I can't predict how long OW will get supported after the last DLC is released, but the amount of patching it has received so far together with the shape it is currently in makes me optimistic.
So for me the difference is that the (in context with the games we are talking here about, Civ6 and OW) the former statement sounds to be directed more to shiny/flashy content, which might cought you immediately...until you might discover bugs...and before they get fiyed, the next release comes (plus that I'm just not really interested in life events or e-sports). The latter statement is (in my ears) more a general hint on that further paid content comes. Maybe less exciting on paper ("only one new civ?"), but if I know that its fits in that nicely I'm happy, as I can rest assured that nothing will get fundamentally broken. I know, thats a quite subjective interpretation of two statements which aren't that far apart in that wording...but no statement lingers around without the backround it is aired in.
I concede that comparing Civ6 and OW is not entirely fair...alone the scope of time both games cover sets them apart. Civ6 is a content monster and it is probably just not realistic to have the ressources to polish it up to the level OW is on. But looking on a potential Civ7 I would prefer a focus on AI and polish...and above statement rises doubt that this will happen (e.g. if the focus is E-Sports it doesn't make a better AI a priority, as the focus is MP)
If I may chip my thoughts in.
The quote from Ismailer concerns me. NFP had great potential and on paper was great, but it never actualized it. It became a bunch of fancy add-ons that sound great, but doesn't actually really improve the game. Each pack sounded great and grabbed attention, he were really just bolt-ons that didn't really do much for Civ 6.
I love expansions, extras and all those things. That's why I caved and bought NFP fairly early on (after the second pack if my memory serves). If I enjoy the base game, I'm certain to buy those extra goodies. I love how they alter the game, improve it, bring it closer to perfection. However, NFP was just a series of attention grabbers to keep the fan base engaged - it didn't serve that same purpose that I see in XPs, to change how the game works and for the better.
Perhaps now you can see the connection that I'm making and what really concerns me. I don't want stuff bolted on as a desperate attempt to keep us looking at Civ 6. I want stuff that changes up how thr game plays, that isn't just an extra carousel put in in the hopes that we might use it and then wander back into the park. No, I want a overhaul. Something that fundamentally changes and improves the amusement park. R&F and GS did that (some may argue about AI, but in terms of mechanics the game was improved), NFP didn't. Obviously, civs etc can be DLCs, but while originally I was a big proponent of modularity, NFP showed that it just isn't going to work well enough to do things M&Cs.
Ismailer's quote implies that same bolted-on approach of NFP is part of Civ's vision of the future. That concerns me, and it concerns me a lot. I'd rather have a renovated and upgraded park that on with IDCS - Infinite Discrete Content Sprawl. Whatever DLC released (excluding individual civ packs etc) needs to be good enough to be considered indispensable to the game. The quote instead implies that everything will be about persuading us to come look at this new flashy bolt-on.
Also some links concerning imbalance:
Vanilla vs GS rgp151 #1
Vanilla vs GS aieeegrunt #8
Vanilla vs GS Oberinspektor Derrick #11

Last edited:
In my view, by far the biggest "flaw" of civ4 is using square instead of Hex tiles ... Jon Shafer's idea to incorporate PanzerGeneral elements was awesome -- just the execution dropped the ball; ie. start of civ5 and in some aspects until today (longMoves & enough space for manoeuvres).

So I was ready to fall (and still am) in love with civ6's "cartoony" graphics style since the first pictures in the previews ...

After vanilla release civ6 was for me a good canditate for the all time high throne (in fact I was quite sure, it will inherit it easily). But it went all downhill most the time (besides they supposedly used expansions budget to mend missing vanilla parts, eg. air units) etc.
Civ6 is in a state I have never expected to be possible.
Civ6 is in such a BAD quality state I have never expected to be possible. I could simply not imagine, that they (2K + FXS) would let their product ultimately in that poor condition. A limping beauty forever :sad:

Now I believe my thinking error was to expect, that they (2K + FXS) are aiming to make a good product at all (or just sell a lot of licenses). Reading and understanding Mr. Ismailer explains it perfectly to me, the goal is to maximize the number of hours played (online).
Surely that has a lot of funny implications, but personally, no, thank you, no -- I'm not fond of that.
I learn, Firaxis games can now only be gauged at the end of the development cycle.
Ok, for those who need more details:

The end of the development cycle is not well known (see thread title!!) for occult reasons, maybe a business secret. :D

To be sure I'll take the official announcement date of the next incarnation.

This means, before I'm comfortable to gauge civ7, I'm going to wait distantly for the official announcement of civ8.
I have No plans ( :) ) doing any purchases 'til then -- and can light heartedly skip, if appropriate.

Of course your mileage does vary. No problem.

Last edited:
Thx for the clarification uhu, I probably made a react interaction, since I only read quickly this topic, because my brain kind of bugged when you said this sentence ("I learn,...") that just felt contradictory with the rest. (people use to say that expansions make the true value of nearly every Civ basically - so they would be best at the end of the production process -, I've read it somewhere several times, heck I'm not mad :hammer2:)
I should have take more attention to what you said previously, sorry. (and yes I read your first unedited message in my e-mail box ;) )
Alas, I have no clue why the game crashes on so many platforms, I have an old computer and it works just fine.
As for a new patch, I've had two in Epic Game Store since the "last" one, one created a prompt to "accept 2K terms" (right after the menu options appear) or whatever, and one I don't know what it was, maybe add another line to this prompt. (but the prompt still does appear every time I launch the game, after clicking "reject all", and that's annoying)

when you said this sentence ("I learn,...") that just felt contradictory with the rest. (people use to say that expansions make the true value of nearly every Civ basically - so they would be best at the end of the production process -, I've read it somewhere several times
Sure, I can confirm this myself! Civ4 vanilla, Warlords, Beyond the Sword, BBAI (better BtS AI) and finally my privateMod -- it got better by every step :D:D:D And civ5 ... voxPopuli is a similar story ...

But times are changing, we got modes instead of mods ... a pile of issues, promising projects abandoned or hanging because lack of specific support. I name just Gedemon & Infixo ...
Ismailer's quote makes me believe, what we have seen is not the exception, but the rule. Que Sera, Sera

So, yes you are right, that feels contradictory with the rest:
I learn, Firaxis games can now (starting with civ6) only be gauged at the end of the development cycle.

:grouphug:

But times are changing, we got modes instead of mods ... a pile of issues, promising projects abandoned or hanging because lack of specific support. I name just Gedemon & Infixo ...

My hope is that some talented modders will discover Old World as base for their projects - it has been built with the intention to be highly mod-able (probably even more than Civ4, which is still seen as reference here) and the base seems solid (few bugs and AFAIk, also no technical problems like crashes one huge maps). So in my (conceded as non-modder pretty limited) vision the full modding power can be unleashed into new features and total conversions mods :D

Reactions: uhu
On oldworld.mod.io are already many mods available.

In my view, by far the biggest "flaw" of OldWorld is its finitude. You can argue, that it is in its current shape still as long (ancient era) as the fun part of a civ6 game. That is true, but the empty(!) option alone feels really(?) better, though (if that makes any sense).
I cannot remember when or where, also Soren said once in an interview something like "Yeah, they want always play all the ages"
Playing for decades, I only experienced once a game, which was undecided until 2 spaceships actually flying (and we didn't nuke each others capital then) ...

This wish to play the whole game was present nearly from the beginning, at least since the first civ2-proposal threads -- and led to Alpha Centauri, which originally featured seven distinct factions.
Other games don't do that in me, but OldWorld is similar enough to Civ to trigger that reflex.

I have toyed around ideas of possible continuation (inspired by 'Imperialism II: Age of Exploration', Frog City Software, 1999) in this thread Civilization's Past and Future #83 with following posts until 9Feb2022 (... #106).

Posts about necessary Negative feedback and distributing it in a reconcilable way:
What can Firaxis learn? #53
Civilization's Past and Future #129
Civilization's Past and Future #160

Top Bottom