Designing Austria in Civ7

1. Who should lead?
Not sure. Francis II for me or an emperor who stopped Ottoman Invasion in the late 17th Century.
2. UU
Either Cravat (Raider cavalry) ,Pandour or Grenzer (Light Infantry, the latter were the first to introduce Shako as headgear which later evolved to have visor and replaced tricornes and bicornes by 1800.
Note that Hussars is associated with Hungarian if the two are to be separate civs.
3. UI
Concert Hall (??)
Theme Color: Yellow and Black (Russia shouldn't use this!)

Austrian light infantry/irregulars gave the Prussian Army absolute fits and mostly ran rings around their cavalry, no mean feat

I would make their unique unit a line infantry with one more move point that ignores ZOC’s

Maria Theresa as leader is obvious. She should have an ability to where she can send one of her children as a "royal marriage" to another city-state or civ for better diplomatic relations.
Grenzer as UU too.
They should also get a unique theater district, the Viennese School that puts an emphasis more on gaining Great Musicians.

Maria Theresa as leader is obvious.
Maria Theresa is too obvious, but is the best choice by far.
I rly enjoy their ability in civ5 to conquer city states by marriage, I would like if civ7 have her with this same mechanic.

Francis II for me or an emperor who stopped Ottoman Invasion in the late 17th Century.
Great accomplishment, but I think women should be privileged when it has a good option as Maria Theresa.

Maria Theresa is the best known, but what did she actually do other than get owned by Frederick the Great?

Leopold I. a person who recruited Eugene de Savoia to his fold and this Savoyyad gentleman shone under his leadership. Austria either took or retain controls over Italy and deny France under King Louis XIV the same piecemeal, in addition to preventing Ottoman expansions significantly and even took cities they captured several generations ago, all of these were the works of Prince Eugene who worked for Leopold I.

Maria Theresa is the best known, but what did she actually do other than get owned by Frederick the Great?
I think the simple fact of a women leading the Holly Roman Empire is already astonish! I guess the reason why Frederick the Great start the war of Silesia is because of that, he didn't accept a women as leader of HRE.

Winning a war against most of Central and Southern Europe immediately after acceding to the throne with no training or preparation whatsoever, despite being the heir-apparent, because her father clung to the hope of producing a male heir to his dying breath? Fostering one of the most sophisticated cultural centers in Europe, despite personally hating art, and one of the most religiously tolerant places in Europe despite personally being fair to describe as extremely bigoted against non-Catholics? Also, since this is Civ, just being an interesting person helps. Was her son a better leader? Probably. Was he a more interesting leader? Debatable, but my answer would be no.

I think the simple fact of a women leading the Holly Roman Empire is already astonish! I guess the reason why Frederick the Great start the war of Silesia is because of that, he didn't accept a women as leader of HRE.
It wasn't entirely unprecedented. A number of women had occasionally acted as regent of the Empire, including Empress Matilda, more famous for being a contender for the English crown. (And alas for England, she certainly would have been a better monarch than her ultimately victorious rival, Stephen of Blois.) Still, Maria Theresa was a personal powerhouse. It must have been shocking in the 18th century when a woman dismissed her husband from her council for disagreeing with her publicly.

Winning a war against most of Central and Southern Europe immediately after acceding to the throne with no training or preparation whatsoever, despite being the heir-apparent, because her father clung to the hope of producing a male heir to his dying breath? Fostering one of the most sophisticated cultural centers in Europe, despite personally hating art, and one of the most religiously tolerant places in Europe despite personally being fair to describe as extremely bigoted against non-Catholics? Also, since this is Civ, just being an interesting person helps. Was her son a better leader? Probably. Was he a more interesting leader? Debatable, but my answer would be no.

It wasn't entirely unprecedented. A number of women had occasionally acted as regent of the Empire, including Empress Matilda, more famous for being a contender for the English crown. (And alas for England, she certainly would have been a better monarch than her ultimately victorious rival, Stephen of Blois.) Still, Maria Theresa was a personal powerhouse. It must have been shocking in the 18th century when a woman dismissed her husband from her council for disagreeing with her publicly.
Austria alone had a lot more resources at it’s disposal than Prussia did, and most of the time it was part of a coalition with the other two heavy weights of Europe.

Meanwhile Prussia had a somewhat lukewarm Hannover some of the time.

Frederick was very much the underdog here, which is why he had the fearsome reputation he did.

Top Bottom