Dev question.

You guys have some crazy ideas of what it's like to work in an office. :p

If there are specific things you want to know - please do post them here. I'll round them up and add them to my questions!

Specific thing:

A big issue people want to get an answer for is how the existence of DLC and other pay-for content that only certain players will have access to is going to affect modding and multiplayer.

For example, if I make a mod and use Babylon's units or leaders as the basis for my mod, can I distribute it? Even to people who do not have the Babylon civ from the Delux edition? If someone was to slightly modify one of the DLC map packs and attempt to redistribute it as a better version, what restrictions will be in place that may hinder them?

Also, how will such content affect multiplayer? If I own Babylon, can I play as that Civ against someone who does not? Will they be forced to download all the DLC that I have just to play me, or will such matches be prevented?

Since it is confirmed that at least some restricted content will be made available via DLC, I assume that you have considered how this will affect modders and multiplayer fans. Many people are extremely worried about the implications of all of this and it would ease many minds if you could tell us how you plan on handling this.

Specific thing:

A big issue people want to get an answer for is how the existence of DLC and other pay-for content that only certain players will have access to is going to affect modding and multiplayer.

For example, if I make a mod and use Babylon's units or leaders as the basis for my mod, can I distribute it? Even to people who do not have the Babylon civ from the Delux edition? If someone was to slightly modify one of the DLC map packs and attempt to redistribute it as a better version, what restrictions will be in place that may hinder them?

Also, how will such content affect multiplayer? If I own Babylon, can I play as that Civ against someone who does not? Will they be forced to download all the DLC that I have just to play me, or will such matches be prevented?

Since it is confirmed that at least some restricted content will be made available via DLC, I assume that you have considered how this will affect modders and multiplayer fans. Many people are extremely worried about the implications of all of this and it would ease many minds if you could tell us how you plan on handling this.

All good questions - and ones I'll get you answers for (but don't expect them today - I just like to set expectations.) Right now we've only talked about the Digital Deluxe extra content, but I'll find out what you want to know.

Can we expect some details about Civ 5 major gameplay features soon or do we have to wait until the E3 begins ?

All good questions - and ones I'll get you answers for (but don't expect them today - I just like to set expectations.) Right now we've only talked about the Digital Deluxe extra content, but I'll find out what you want to know.

Much appreciated, I'm sure this will make lots of people here very happy :)

THANK YOU!!! :rockon:

You guys have some crazy ideas of what it's like to work in an office. :p
In that quote you are replying to here, I clearly state you have no part in any of these behind the scenes arguments. You're a media relations employee. You get the info on these things after they have been decided, you get paid to present them in a way that will cause the most positive response and least negative response from potential customers. But yes, I'm sure 2K and Firaxis have differing opinions on how DLC, modding and such should be handled (and individuals within these firms will have differing views as well), and not realizing so would simply be nieve.

In that quote you are replying to here, I clearly state you have no part in any of these behind the scenes arguments. You're a media relations employee. You get the info on these things after they have been decided, you get paid to present them in a way that will cause the most positive response and least negative response from potential customers. But yes, I'm sure 2K and Firaxis have differing opinions on how DLC, modding and such should be handled (and individuals within these firms will have differing views as well), and not realizing so would simply be nieve.

That's not actually what I do, though. I would never classify myself as a media relations employee, and I do work with the devs to help inform and make decisions - that's one of the great things about this company. My role varies depending on need and title.

If you guys ever have questions on what I do, I'll be happy to answer anything you want to know - but 2K Games and Firaxis is far from a corporate culture of evil suits sitting in conference rooms petting cats and laughing maniacally. There are some cats, but mainly dogs, and definitely maniacal laughter when it gets late at night... But I think you'd be laughed out of the office if you wore a suit and run out with a pitchfork if you had the mindset of which you speak.

We're not always going to make choices you love. We can't always make everyone happy, because someone's favorite is someone else's nemesis. We are a business, and yes, our goal is to make you happy, make money, and continue making games. No one is trying to pretend that's not the case (I'm sure you also want us to succeed so we stick around!) But we're not out to get anyone - that isn't even logical towards the larger goals we have.

Top Bottom