Dg2: Rpg?

ice2k4

Emperor
Not really sure I want to even post this yet, but here it goes anyway.

As some of you may know, last demogame we had an organized RPG which died rather quickly. Looking back through the Civ III archives not many of the demogames were able to support organized RPG's that contained economies. Although DG II (CivIII) was the most successful in doing so, without the key RPG leaders, economies looked doubtful. Before the CivIV DG II got it's own forum, I brought up the idea of an organized RPG for this demogame, and got some mixed feelings on it.

I'd like to know, if any of the citizens would like to have an organized RPG, with an economy and what not (although land conflict looks way too complicated) and if any citizens would be interested in helping run it. I'd devote a good amount of my time to make sure it stays running, but I doubt that I could do that alone.

For those of you who are new to the demogame, the CIV III Demogame II RPG Archive can be found here (make sure you are viewing threads from "the beginning.")

If we do want to go through with this, I do not want to make a super complicated economy, but something simple enough to have a bit of fun with.

14 thread views, and noone has posted whether they approve or disapprove. Odd.

Also I had this idea while I was cooking tortellini. I followed through and considered it's faults, but I'd still like to introduce it. So here it goes:

It's kind of hard to have an RPG with an economy, especially when it's based on a map, which doesn't allow you to view inside a city. Some of you who play civ also play other strategy games, including city builders. I myself own Caesar IV (which is exceptional until an older processor can't handle it, and causes sporadic in-game fires) and I draw many connections between the game and CIV. I know just the thought of using something from another game will automatically get me a few "no's", but any city builder could be used (such as Civ City : Rome by Sid Meier.) Only reason I propose Caesar IV is because it's considered one of the best city builders out there, and it's the only city builder I own.

The game has a variety of buildings and comes with a snapshot camera view that allows you to take screenshots to encompass pretty much anything you want (I.E. the view of the whole map, still pretty detailed, or a birds-eye view of one small region.) Since there are so many buildings, and maps can be rather huge if you set them to be, it would be fun to develop cities via RPG. Usually in the RPG people start out in the capitol city with a small house. With a map of the city, we can designate houses to people, people could select where to build business and other buildings. When someone builds something or something happens, it could be reflected on the map. I'd simply open the save, make the changes, save it, take a screen shot, and repost. Anyone who has Caesar IV could download the save and help with the screenies as well.

Here is a screenshot of a couple of blocks of plebian apartments, and a market place (I used 4 food markets placed together) with a couple of patrican estates in the back. (I didn't put in any equestrian domus (plural is domii???))

Spoiler :

If you guys want I could probably post a screen that has every building design in the game.

Again just an idea. Who is to say we'll even have an rpg?

Maybe the enthusiasts haven't been online yet?

I would be generally supportive of an RPG if it doesn't take people away from discussions about the base DG. Personally I'm not likely to have enough free time.

Maybe the enthusiasts haven't been online yet?

I would be one of those. But after going through 2 DG RPG deaths, I'm not sure if I can commit so much time to another. I'll play, but I don't know if I can do any helping with the running until I see it something besides the tavern get going.

(I didn't put in any equestrian domus (plural is domii???))

I think it's domi (the -ii is only if the singular ends in -ius, I think). I could be wrong.

Now I have to curse you--you gave me the urge to vandalize a governor's mansion, but the nearest one is about 85 miles from here...

I like to rp, and I love rpgs... I would have posted earlier ice2k4 but I was busy all day.. Explain to me how this works and I'll see if I can help.

Since I was one of the 14, I'll give one answer. I'm new to DG and waiting to see it in action. I'm not particularly interested in adding a second game in parallel before I've seen the first. Additionally, I did a bit of browsing of the thread you referenced and did not come away with a good understanding of how it works. It seemed to be purely text-based and I prefer something visual. Hope this helps.

yes we need a guide, like a flow chart to show how each official affects each other and what their powers are, that would make it easier for new people to join in, i have been on the site quite a lot for 3 or so weeks and still have problems knowing what is happening.

Since I was one of the 14, I'll give one answer. I'm new to DG and waiting to see it in action. I'm not particularly interested in adding a second game in parallel before I've seen the first. Additionally, I did a bit of browsing of the thread you referenced and did not come away with a good understanding of how it works. It seemed to be purely text-based and I prefer something visual. Hope this helps.

yes we need a guide, like a flow chart to show how each official affects each other and what their powers are, that would make it easier for new people to join in, i have been on the site quite a lot for 3 or so weeks and still have problems knowing what is happening.

Good points! I created an Information Office thread, and your requests are now featured as the very first requests for information this game. :D

I also was one of them.
Nothing against; and pro...I did not understand/know that second proposed
game.
If you play it, I'll try to learn.
Best regards,

A Beginner's Guide to the DemoGame RPG

The DemoGame RPG, is a role playing forum, which is based on the demogame, yet has no real effect on it. In the forum you can usually find the following:

1) Role playing threads based on the demogame.
2) An economy
3) Shops and other business
4) Tournaments and Competitions
5) Land Management
6) Religions (Role Playing)
7) Land Conflict*
8) Citizen Groups*

Now just looking at that doesn't tell you much. So let me give you a few examples.

1) Role Playing Threads - A prime example is the Mongol Looting Party from CivIV DG I. When we declared war on the Mongols, three of the citiznes otok up arms and went on a search through the Mongolian lands, to plunder for loot. Before leaving BCLG, the owner of the Rebel Pub II, asked the three to find him a certain ale for his Pub.

2) The Economy - The economy gave the RPG an aspect which set goals for certain users. Not all users had to participate in the economy, (as they could simply choose not to buy or sell anything) but many found it fun to venture into the business world. In the last demogame, users were given 500 gold to start out with. An economy was set up, in which they could set up business, to make money, so they could spend money at other citizen's business. Other things are factored in, such as taxes.

3) Shops and other Business - Shops, such as taverns served a multi-purpose in the demogames. Not only were they for business purpose, but they served as a place for people to hangout and what not. PBEM's, bets, games and other things have all come out of discussion in a tavern. Don't be mistaken, there are an unlimited type of business, such as construction (hey people need a building to conduct their business, right?)

4) Tournaments and Competitions - Usually upon registration of the RPG, you are required to distribute skill points amongst quite a few categories, such as speed and strength. These skills functioned to determine odds in tournaments set up by users, such as gladiator games, or chariot races.

5) Another way to earn money in the RPG was to buy a tile of land up for auction. (Tiles would be auctioned off by the Land Manager, city tiles could not be auctioned.) Based on the food, hammer and commerce production of each tile, you would earn a certain amount of gold per turnchat. Many people placed their business in the city for free, however specialized business, such as lumber mills, might want to put their business on a forest tile.

6) Religions - Another roleplaying aspect. Some citizens decided to create various religions (usually not real-life religions) and write parts to their holy book. A noticeable religion was Chipism (the worship of Chip), which can be found in the previous demogame.

7) Land Conflict - I really can't talk about this much, since I was never in a demogame where this was used. In Demogame II RPG, Land conflict was used where users would control armies, and tried to occupy land from other users. It was based on a feudal system. If someone who experienced this would like to elaborate, that would be great.

8) Many times you will see the citizen group threads moved into the RPG forum, instead of the Citizen Forum.

ice2k4.. this looks and sounds amazing.. you have my 120% support on this.. do you use any chat messangers? i only use msn for the moment.. perhaps we can get online and chat about this sometime.. I would definately like a hand in helping you design and run this rpg! :D
salutations,
Shattered

Excellent work, ice2k4. I like the city builder also. I'm going to look into that, might be interesting. I also might help with this if it flies. Probably in the administrative section, but maybe in the RP section also.

ice2k4.. this looks and sounds amazing.. you have my 120% support on this.. do you use any chat messangers? i only use msn for the moment.. perhaps we can get online and chat about this sometime.. I would definately like a hand in helping you design and run this rpg! :D
salutations,
Shattered

Sending a pm with my email and AIM handle.

Ice, it seems that if we want to RPG this game that religion is the first thing that could be used. Perhaps a citizens group for religious matters or something similar

I'm thinking we might go through with this. I want to talk to Shattered first through instant messaging, since he seems like he might give a nice deal of help. If everything goes as planned all pm the mods to request an rpg forum be made by Thunderfall.

I love this idea but im worrying about land manager (I'm not going to be that sucker). I saw what it was in the last dg rpg and it looks impossible to manage alone. We will need a better system to handle this. I think that the most important part will be getting a thread and a registery.

I love this idea but im worrying about land manager (I'm not going to be that sucker). I saw what it was in the last dg rpg and it looks impossible to manage alone. We will need a better system to handle this. I think that the most important part will be getting a thread and a registery.
Land manager isn't that complicated. Basically they jsut auction off a couple of tiles every turnchat. I think you might be referring to land conflict, which I myself don't even fully understand. I'm not sure we'll be implementing that.

Don't they also have to keep track of all these things with the tiles or am I mistaking.

Top Bottom