Diplo-Bribes?

arand86

Warlord
I've seen a lot of suggestions on bribing other nations to fight for you, but whenever I try to ask what they want, they say that 'there is no way to make this work'. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a situation when it could have worked. I've tried dragging in 1000 gold and some strat resources but they keep declining. Do you have to be on really really good terms with the civ?

Any suggestions?

Need to be on reasonable terms and there needs to be a reason why the AI would be inclined to go to war and assess its odds favorably. It really helps if the AI already dislikes the target and has superior military.

Also, natural born killers (Attila, Shaka, Monty, Genghis, and alike) will gladly kill someone who has immediate borders with them. Buying these guys to DoW somebody is usually cheap. Make sure to check your trade screens often. There is always someone willing to kill his neighbor. Look, and you shall find. ;)

If an AI already was thinking about attacking another AI, it will take just a tiny amount of bribing to get them to declare war. This is probably even more true for the most aggressive leaders (mentioned by Moriarte above). Sometimes, it can literally be something like 200 gold and 3 horses to have them declare war.

The reason you can't bribe them is probably they're on good relations with the civ you want them to attack and/or this target civ has a bigger army than them.

Don't take this response to mean they cannot be persuaded though.

I have managed to get them to agree when putting quite modest deals up.

If an AI already was thinking about attacking another AI, it will take just a tiny amount of bribing to get them to declare war. This is probably even more true for the most aggressive leaders (mentioned by Moriarte above). Sometimes, it can literally be something like 200 gold and 3 horses to have them declare war.

The reason you can't bribe them is probably they're on good relations with the civ you want them to attack and/or this target civ has a bigger army than them.

Montezuma usually likes to clean up his neighbors for some Iron and GPT. :lol:

This is kinda hilarious when you have few warmongers close to each other, then just pay them all to attack each other. No TR, no RA and no trades for any of them. After they are done, just clean them up. :lol:

Once I tried to bribe AI player A to go to war with AI player B and got the old, 'No way to make this work, jerk'. Two turns later A DOWed B for free. Made me happy!

If their military is weaker, they won't do it. Herr's a strat I use to kill a stronger person-pit them on each other by flaming that strong person to attack a neighbor he hates with a bit of bribing, then make him attack every neighbor, then ally yourself with them and kill him! And kill the weakened civs too ;)

Typical AI moments. Civ B: "You DOW civ A, you mean, mean guy!"

20 turns later. "Oh well, they are weak now, they pose a threat to the world." AI B declares war on civ A.

Top Bottom