Distance between cities red tiles

PatrickSWarner

Chieftain
Has something changed in the later expansions for how close together your cities are allowed to be?

In the docs it says that cities must be at least 3 tiles apart between city centres.

However on the map I am working on I founded several cities which are about 12 or more tiles from each other, but then when I open the settler lens, almost all the space in between them is red even when it is outside of any other city boundary and is on normal terrain like grasslands. In fact in about turn 60, nearly the entire discovered map is red and I can’t really understand why a lot of the tiles are red as there is no city next to them.

Think we'll need a screenshot to see what's going on.

No I am using the full set of official updates - I got the base game free on Epic and just recently purchased the season pass for £20.

I have shut the computer down and I’m away for a few days from very early tomorrow morning so I’ll post as screen shot next week.

Just to be totally clear, normally I should be able to place a city as long as there are 2 clear tiles between that and my next city centre and not 3 clear tiles from the current edge boundary of the city area? Even if it’s the latter, there are still red tiles that don’t seem to make sense.

City centers must be 4 tiles apart, i.e. have 3 clear tiles between them. The outer boundaries of a city's territory don't affect this in any way. If the centers are on different landmasses with water between them, then the minimum distance becomes 3 tiles apart. See the wiki for more.

Top Bottom