drop the feature that cities build something

Ultraworld

Emperor
Wouldn't it be a good idea if we would drop the concept that cities build units/buildings.

It is a bit predictable ("I just build a harbor, what shall I build next, oh wait a marketplace", done that too many times) and we might come up with something fresh and new.

Maybe we should drop the concept that cities have buildings (marketplace, courthouse, etc.) at all.

OR

Certain improvements are a 'given'

I've always thought it was somewhat ridiculous that a Size 12 city could be devoid of a marketplace, but you frequently get this when a city has a lot of food production but little in the way of shields - you will be spending all your time producing temples, colosseums, etc to keep the populace happy. Certain improvements should be 'freebies' that come with the size of your city.

Also, perhaps we could have the concept that a city has to be a certain size before building an improvement?

What are you replacing buildings with? I'm confused as you seem to be suggesting that we should get rid of buildings but not actually replace them with anything so the game would just lose a level of complexity as the only thing left to build would be units...

Ultraworld said:
Maybe we should drop the concept that cities have buildings

Warpstorm looks out the window and tries to imagine the city he's in without buildings. Hmmm...

Without buildings it wouldn't look like what Warp thinks a city should look like.

Dell19 said:
What are you replacing buildings with? I'm confused as you seem to be suggesting that we should get rid of buildings but not actually replace them with anything so the game would just lose a level of complexity as the only thing left to build would be units...

We should (it is an idea) get rid of the city-build-building concept. NOT necesarily of the buildings themself (although that would be an idea too) .

Unfortunately I don't have ideas for something new.

I feel that building buildings is something core to Civ and wouldn't really want to see it completely replaced. The idea of some basic buildings that will eventually appear in a large city is something I could see working reasonably well although there must be a sufficient advantage for having built a particular building earlier.

Top Bottom