[GS] Ecstatic, Happy or Content

BTSeven7

Chieftain
I hardly ever worry about amenities. In most of my games I am pretty good at capping cities at 10 pop and most of the time amenity issues rarely come up. If things get ugly I slot a few policy cards and maybe a trade or two to get my cities content.

How important do you guys feel it is to keep cities ecstatic for a lot of the game? The bonus seems significant enough that it might make sense to try and plan more for ecstatic/happy cities then being content with content cities.

I build coliseum sometimes. I also build entertainment districts late when I have nothing else to build and don’t want to be boring and run projects for speed.

My 330 turn diplo victory I had a lot of entertainment and with my cities ecstatic my yields seemed way better so I wonder if I am missing out in the first 150 runs or so...

If you get too unhappy your citizens revolt but this is -6
Before that you can go low but you will really risk loyalty issues, that is the main thing.
+5% for happy is Ok.. the thing to remember is -5% for unhappy is just 2 points away so hovering around the middle is 10% difference,
It is not a lot early game so selling your amenities definitely is a better idea... after that it’s just loyalty... is Frelanor near?.. am I on the warpath... that type of thing.

More is always better, so yes, the bonus for happy cities accumulates nicely, especially in the long term. If you play the diplo game well, you can have perma-happy cities and it makes for a difference in your yields, especially at higher difficulties where you play catch up with the egregious bonuses the AI gets (assuming you are not abusing the military AI and solving all your strategy problems by silly nilly conquering).

The only times I REALLY take notice of it is if I'm taking cities and have loyalty issues... otherwise I almost NEVER build entertainment districts... I mainly use luxuries to handle it.

A big factor in people "not caring" is that the information regarding luxuries trading is so well hidden inside multiple windows/clicks.

The moment you start using tools like EDR (is there any other? :D), you start trading more, better and frequently, and if diplo is your game, you can have happy cities most of the time, without even adding the influence of happiness districts or buildings...

(shameless promotion, yes, but what can I do? EDR is so good ;))

A big factor in people "not caring" is that the information regarding luxuries trading is so well hidden inside multiple windows/clicks.

The moment you start using tools like EDR (is there any other? :D), you start trading more, better and frequently, and if diplo is your game, you can have happy cities most of the time, without even adding the influence of happiness districts or buildings...

(shameless promotion, yes, but what can I do? EDR is so good ;))

Lol

I take it you're the writer of that MOD ?

I never noticed this one... will take a peak as I never take mods that change de game rules, but do like those that gives me more information (Like Better Report et al...)

**EDIT: Wow, this looks great... Just subscribed... So hate trade screen not giving info you need on luxuries you do and do not have... thanks

Last edited:
Lol

I take it you're the writer of that MOD ?

I never noticed this one... will take a peak as I never take mods that change de game rules, but do like those that gives me more information (Like Better Report et al...)

**EDIT: Wow, this looks great... Just subscribed... So hate trade screen not giving info you need on luxuries you do and do not have... thanks

Make sure you give a quick read to the description of the mod and how it works; it has more perks than what meets the eye, more than just display information (CTRL+Mouse Over is your friend ;))

Make sure you give a quick read to the description of the mod and how it works; it has more perks than what meets the eye, more than just display information (CTRL+Mouse Over is your friend ;))

OK... wouldn't have noticed about ctrl+mouse over... that's not natural at all for me... so thanks for the tip

@Aristos, I just subscribed to this as well. Looks like a great info mod.

Back on the point of the thread - I usually monitor this periodically; and as @Victoria said, I really pay attention to this for loyalty purposes if I take a city around the border area of my civ. Also, if I'm building a wonder or some other long-range product, I may try to enhance production through amenities.

THANK YOU for this heads-up/reminder! :bounce:

Top Bottom