Pinning Districts On Map

brewgod

Prince
Hello Civ 6 Fans,

I have seen more often than not that players will use Pins to determine where they will build future districts. A pin for science, theatre etc. I don't do this and never have. Is there added bonus for planning out your cities in this fashion. Are you getting more science in your districts if you place a science pin down next to a mountain? If NOT then what is the reasoning behind doing this. I like most? place the district where the map shows I will get the most yield +3 +4 for it in my city or tiles which I can buy.

Any pro or con feedback is appreciated.

Thanks and Civ ON !!!

Brew God

The pins make it easier to plan your city. I find them very useful, but there's no bonus for using them. Only the advantage of not needing to keep things to memory.

It's also useful to mark things on the map. For instance, I use them for wonders which give bonuses to units, like Giant's Causeway, otherwise I'll entirely forget about them.

Edit: I also use them as tiny post it notes. Just place them on top of my capital or around it and write what I want to do. I'll often forget things.

If you have a couple of cities with similar sounding names (I'm looking at you, Macedonia) then it can help avoid mucking up the placement of a future district. It just serves as a visual reminder what to plonk down at that spot.

The post-it note analogy is good.

I don't use them as much as some. Here's how I use them:
  • When my city grows enough to build another district, I go into the build queue and look for the big adjacency, just as you do. I check different district types, whatever is available at that time, and figure out which is the best fit for my city (and empire) at that time. I lay down a tack, then lay down the district.
  • If I don't intend to finish the district right away, that is, I'm just locking in the cost for that era, then the tack helps me remember where I want to put it. So I don't accidentally put an Aqueduct on top of a good IZ site.
  • I might map out (with tacks) how I want to use riverside hexes, even before I have unlocked all the techs.
  • I might mark the spot for an Encampment that helps defend against an invader, while building a Campus or Holy Site first.

The pins make it easier to plan your city. I find them very useful, but there's no bonus for using them. Only the advantage of not needing to keep things to memory.

It's also useful to mark things on the map. For instance, I use them for wonders which give bonuses to units, like Giant's Causeway, otherwise I'll entirely forget about them.

Edit: I also use them as tiny post it notes. Just place them on top of my capital or around it and write what I want to do. I'll often forget things.

The other big factor is at least with the advanced map tacks mod (I forget if it made it into the base game), the pins will adjust based on the other pins, which can have a big effect for districts like industrial zones which can get big bonuses for other districts. For a standard campus, the pins probably matter less, because most of their bonuses are from terrain and they only get a small bonus for districts. But Industrial zones and theatre squares it can make a big difference depending on how your land is looking.

To me, it's mostly about remembering my plan for the future, so you don't pop in a campus in one spot and then only remember 20 turns later that you wanted a wonder there, or a theatre there, or whatever. Or even just to remember if I wanted to build a campus in the city - maybe building the campus there means I need to wait too long to get a harbor or industrial zone or whatever else there.

But yeah, the biggest use is just in planning. Without them, I'm sure you'd end up accidentally building something else in the only dam spot on a river in just about every game.

Top Bottom