Elemental: War of Magic (Stardock's fantasy game) announced!

Galactic Civilizations is a really good turn based strategy game, it is only inferior to Civilization 4 on the market.
They should though hire someone for writing lore in their games.
The worst aspect in their games is infact lore and written text which goes from ludicrous to average, infact tech, civlization and building descriptions are sometimes so stupid that destroy the immersivity.I really hope Stardock try to take care more this aspect in Elemental

Those tech blurbs felt like they were meant for grizzled sci-fi vets who have seen every attempt at writing something like that dryly and seriously, and would rather have something that could give them a nice chuckle. They were hit and miss for me. I smiled at some, and others went over my head.

Kael, only 2 factions is good if they are making expansion pacs

Did any of you listen to the "create and download new factions" part? It sounds like that is the major draw and the two vanilla factions are just there for starters.

Guys, the company president already posted and cleared that up. Thar be 12 factions, two races.

Did any of you listen to the "create and download new factions" part? It sounds like that is the major draw and the two vanilla factions are just there for starters.

Reading is for losers apparently :D
Wait... now im a loser :cry:

Anyways, this looks like a pretty cool game, and I'll see how it progresses.

Hi guys, Brad from Stardock here.

A few things:

There are 12 factions in the game, not 2. There are two races. Civilization has one race (humans).

Each of the 12 factions gets their own spell book and their own technology tree so they will play very very differently.

The screenshots are nothing near as good as what the final game will look like. Remember what the first screenshots of Civ IV looked like. As the engine develops, the lighting will continue to improve and the graphics will continue to improve.

Regarding Galactic Civilizations II -- you should check out Twilight of the Arnor. The AI was heavily improved, each race gets its own unique tech tree, weapons, improvements, etc. and super ability. They play very differently.

Over the coming months, I think you'll find there's a lot in Elemental that Civ fans in particular will like. It's not GalCiv with magic. It's a very different game.

wow that was increadibly unexpected O_o

and now my tune has changed :D sorry about dissing the game before, if there are 12 factions and each one with COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TECHS AND SPELL BOOKS... then it sounds like my kind of game :D

good news on the screenies not being the final look too :)

Thanks Brad!

Yea, I'm back in too... well, most notably that those aren't final graphics :p I'm actually pretty sure they'll build a decent game but I'm a graphic guy.

Phf... You're complaining about graphics? Hell, two of my favorite games of all time are Master of Orion 1 and Lords of Magic (Special Edition). ADOM ranks high up there, and it's text based. And if you argue THOSE games have good graphics, then there's something wrong with you.

That being said, I'm almost entirely concerned about gameplay, though good graphics is a, well, good plus.

I still like seeing the enemy shots cause ripples in the CSS Meridian's shields as it fires its autocannons and lasers at the opposing ships, though...

XD Add me to the beta volunteers list, too.

Sadly I've only play Sins out of what they've made, but surfing around the Element forums has made me pretty excited about this game. Having the head guy of it show up on my favorite forums helps too...

Heh, Lords of Magic had pretty good graphics when it came out. An install directory to go along with it too.

I have only played the demo of Lords of Magic Special Edition. Is the full game any good?

I'd say yes, but then again, I'm biased, as it's my favorite game.

Which is a good sign, because I bought it several years after it came out for 5 dollars at... I think it was Office Depot, while getting school supplies. So I wasn't even comparing it to games of its time.

But, like I said, I'm biased. If you get, I recommend the GS5 mod. At least, I think that's what it was called. Might be up to GS6, now.

Ok, an entirely objective review, I can do that because I'm a dick.

Thinking in 98 terms. Graphics, good. Sound, excellent. Atmosphere, one of the best. Naturally by todays standards, the graphics are horrific, the sound is barely tolerable, and the atmosphere is to doom what a three legged chihuahua is to a wolfhound

Gameplay, issues...

First, there's the AI. OMFG bad. As in, you suck monkey nuts if you lose on a map that's at all fair. If you really want a challenge, you try beating the standard game without taking your temple and live off resource sites and bartering to gather your troops.

The overland AI is utterly devoid of logic. They'll throw units at you and attempt to run away from a losing fight, they'll even spam you with merc armies when you're about to kill them and within range of the hiring point. What they wont do is systematically destroy each other and form competent, highly leveled fighting forces from the results, protect those units, and come at you with max training armies. If you wait long enough, they eventually reach the level where they pop them out of the barracks at level 5, but till then you have a massive tactical advantage.

The battle AI. Irritating, but not really dangerous. More nuisance than anything. You need to quickly eliminate ranged units if you have a caster that doesn't come with a good arrow shield, but tying the melee units up on tough defenders while a mass of ranged units rape them is easy. There isn't much there, just run towards you and die. They'll occasionally try to kill your heroes and that's about it.

Balance. Sorta iffy. Ignoring death, which is massively overpowered on purpose, the sides are relatively even if you compare them at high levels, but without a level 10 caster you'd never know fire and chaos had a snowball's chance in hell of doing anything. The chaos caster is so powerful that it can kill entire armies single handed at that point even without artifact class weapons. Which is good because the chaos army is the weakest outside of the magic. This is academic though, multiplayer is hosed, so many sync errors... I never managed to finish a game.

Then there's the terrain... The different races all have favored terrain. Even flying units are affected. Life on grass moves normally, life on decayed ground crawls at half speed, inching along like frozen molasses. If a life army, a biggest badass that ever existed since the dawn of time life army, attacked you as Balkoth, just Balkoth, on decayed ground, Balkoth would win, and have full life at the end. Unless you were utterly ******ed and couldn't even just let him attack on his own.

On the reverse, even Balkoth can't save a maxed out death army on grass against a life army. The javelin will all die before they get in range, the life cavalry attack fast enough to prevent the death melee troops from counter attacking just one on one, and the giant lardass riding a vampire bat will soon be the only thing left, occasionally eeking out a knife through between hits.

It's also really . .. .. .. .in easy to win if you're a dick. Start with a caster for your lord, level it up a bunch, stick it in a tower till you're trained to level 8 or so, and then spam armies of three mages. Attack all the leaders and missile spam them right off, side killed. :)

The design is . .. .. .. .ing fantastic. Turn based overland plays far better than modern TBS games while tactical combat is fluid and far more entertaining than HoMM for instance while not being so bloody long. The game had the potential to be the best strategy game ever made, but it's got some issues, definitely worth checking out though. Especially for five bucks in a bargain bin.

Merddyn, checking out that mod. Been a long time since I played, will be interesting to see what improvements have been made.

The GS5 mod does do a reasonable amount to add more strategy and so on to the game- other than a handful of new spells, artifacts, and so on probably the most tactically new item is a rock-paper-scissors mechanic with ranged, melee, and mounted troops getting bonuses against each other. I still revisit LoMSE from time to time mostly due to nostalgia.

Probably the worst part of it, especially for a new player fresh from FFH, is the same-ness of all the factions. The biggest differences are all in the spells available to your mages, and it takes a while to research the ones that are really unique. Other than that it's a case of one type of melee troop being just a tiny bit slower but having just a tiny bit more defense than another, or hit recovery, or hit points, or strength, or something. Still definitely worth checking out though, especially in psychoak's five-dollar bargain bin scenario.

Phf... You're complaining about graphics? Hell, two of my favorite games of all time are Master of Orion 1 and Lords of Magic (Special Edition). ADOM ranks high up there, and it's text based. And if you argue THOSE games have good graphics, then there's something wrong with you.

That being said, I'm almost entirely concerned about gameplay, though good graphics is a, well, good plus.

I still like seeing the enemy shots cause ripples in the CSS Meridian's shields as it fires its autocannons and lasers at the opposing ships, though...

XD Add me to the beta volunteers list, too.

I didn't play MOO1 that much, but MOO2 is still probably my favorite game ever. I've been playing it on and off for years and I bought it when it first came out.

I initially liked LOM too but there was something about it that just didn't keep me interested. I think I finished the game with each element then was about 1/2 way through the unlocked one (I forget which that is) when I gave up the first time out of boredom. I also recently started playing the original colonization again which is pretty darn far down the graphics tree.

But you know what each of those games has, especially the text based game? Immersion. You can use 4 pixels to represent something and you have immersion as long as you treat the subject seriously. The screenshots of War of Magic that were posted looked like something out of a My Little Pony flash game. It rubs me the wrong way in every aspect.

PS check out Age of Wonders too... it was about the same time as LOM but I liked the overall gameplay better (granted, turn based combat on hexes).

Also, Disciples II is one of my favorites... the gameplay is a little simplistic but there's strategy involved in having 2 basic ranks that isn't apparent right away. The graphics there are superb though not 3d rendered... just a lot of highly detailed classic fantasy art.

Mmm, MoO2 is pretty good, I play it on occasion 2 player with a friend of mine, but I prefer MoO1 better. The difference between them, though, is about the difference between MoO2 and MoO3, so I wouldn't compare the two; Like FfH2 and Civ 4, I tend to see MoO2 and MoO1 as completely seperate games and/or series.

I've also played Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic (Ironically, didn't find out until later it's the latest of the series), which I play a lot. It's a good game, but I HATE the fact that all your mage is there to do is sit there in the tower, cast spells, and not die. I'd much rather have my leader be one of the heros in the game. Other than that, I absolutely loved the factor of being able to send multiple armies and even players into a single battle. I've long wanted to see how a battle between 7 completely independent forces would result, if it's possible.

The original colonization is good as well, and I prefer it to the Civ 4 version, though there're some aspects of the newer one I prefer. OH well.

Of the games you mentioned, the only one I haven't tried is Disciples 2; guess I'll have to give it a try.

Wow, I really love the art direction! Thanks to everyone who suggested other fantasy games to check out. Disciples II looks great.

RE GalCivII: What got me to buy the game are Tom Francis' amazing war journals. Several LOL moments as he describes his (mis)adventures in an epic round of GalCivII. I think PC Gamer even included a printed version in one of their issues.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=195920&site=pcg
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=161570&site=pcg

For whatever reason, there's a segment of PC gamers who hate colorful graphics. See all the complaints about Team Fortress 2 or Diablo II (both of which look great, IMHO)

Wow the graphical style actually looks really cool.

Think about visual fidelity. With this style you can recognise everything instantly. Sins bothered me about that especially as I am not a space fan.

Masters of Magic definitely had strong visual fidelity too. Your city screen gave you your resource income with a nice gap to show surplus. All units were blacklined where they weren't actually just in an icon. It only took a snap to recognise everything and make decisions accordingly. Games with beautiful realistic fantasy artwork and design as strategies can get really annoying. Not that I enjoy turnbased RPGs but check out Disciples II. Beautiful artwork but really hard to differentiate everything.

Top Bottom