Enhanced Goody System (Part 2: Respawning Goodies) [ACCEPTED]

raystuttgart

Civ4Col Modder
Since it was requested and discussed several times I just wanted to inform you, that it is on my (personal) todo-list to have "Respawning Goodies".

Actually the new Goodies "Camp Fire" and "Real Shipwreck" created by @Schmiddie are exactly the ones that I was planning to use for that.
(My concept for it is basically ready but it is quite some effort to implement and balance properly as it also was for "Spawning Wild Animals".)

The "Respawning System for Goodies" is however not triggered by the Goodies themselves.
It uses a similar logic as "Re-Spawning Wild Animals".

Basic Spawning Logic:

It will simply check the "density" of these Goodies (how many of these oodies in a certain area) and if it is lower than a certain threshold it will spawn a new one of these Goodies (see Goodies mentioned above) but also try to keep the distance to other such Goodies (as already configured in ImprovementInfos.xml for first spawning at Map Generation).

About Game Option:

It is actually really easy to make "Respawing Goodies" a Game Option, just like Wild Animals.
(The first spawning of Goodies will be unaffected though, since there is already another Game Option for that.)

There are no real dependencies with other features and their balancing.
So in this case I would really make it a Game Option.

In fact you could have several Options depending on the 2 Game Options:
  • No Goodies at Game Start but later Goodies spawn (and respawn)
  • Goodies at Game Start but no respawning Goodies
  • Goodies at Game Start and respawning Goodies
  • No Gooides at all (not at Games Start and also not later.

Summary:

You will get it at some point.
Just do not know in which release.

----

Just so you know that this feature is not forgotten. :)
But again, the release plan for next release will decide when we actually implement it. :dunno:

Sorry for posting about further plans but I am cleaning up tickets and also update / reorder my "todo-list" by checking posts from community.
These are also reminders for our release plan discussion after we finally published again ...

----

By the way:

If another modder wants to give this concept a try by checking and adapting "Spawning of Wild Animals" logic, go ahead, I would be thankful for it. :thumbsup:
(Almost everything needed for it is prepared. Only the DLL spawning logic needs to be implemented.)

If you are interested to give it a try simply contact me and I can give you some support if you want.
(The biggest problem will actually be the balancing to not let it become overpowered but still noticeable.)

This is a good feature for a modder that is not absolute beginner anymore.
You could learn a lot about the combination of XML and DLL.

And team members would surely support you. :hug:

Reactions: nci
Since goodies are improvements, it would be possible to make natives generate them using a regular build. This way goodies will respawn around natives meaning you lose access to renewable goodies if you remove all natives.

Yeah it would require us to teach the native units to build them without spamming them, but it's an approach to consider.

Also we could cache distance to nearest goodie in CvPlot. This way if goodies can spawn if there are at least say 5 plots to nearest, the game logic will only have to check the plot in question, not 9x9 plots to see if the plot is valid. This way we can maintain a distance requirement without making it CPU hungry.

Top Bottom