1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Era code question.

Discussion in 'Mod Creation Help' started by firsTraveler, Mar 21, 2019.

1. firsTraveler

firsTraveler Chieftain

Can someone help me with this era code?

-- Era Gates -- default 20/-20
    UPDATE GlobalParameters SET Value = 500 WHERE Name = 'TECH_COST_PERCENT_CHANGE_AFTER_GAME_ERA';

UPDATE GlobalParameters SET Value = -1 WHERE Name = 'TECH_COST_PERCENT_CHANGE_BEFORE_GAME_ERA';

UPDATE GlobalParameters SET Value = 500 WHERE Name = 'CIVIC_COST_PERCENT_CHANGE_AFTER_GAME_ERA';

UPDATE GlobalParameters SET Value = -1 WHERE Name = 'CIVIC_COST_PERCENT_CHANGE_BEFORE_GAME_ERA';
    -- Era Brackets -- default 40/60

(sorry for the formating, I'm moding another persons mod that works fine. I don't know SQL so all I can do is change a few values and hope I don't mess the game up)

I'm trying to make researching beyond era tech and civics really expensive without making trailing research cheaper. But when I run this in game all older era tech and civics drop to one (1 turn) irrelevant of game speed; and future research doesn't show any change.

Or do I have this all wrong?

2. LeeS

LeeS Imperator

Your update is being applied correctly within the database (I've tested the code on the tech-cost-percent settings). I would try a slightly different value than "-1", such as "-5". It may be that your "-1" may for whatever reason (probably having to do with rounding) be resulting in oddball results, or it may be that Firaxis has coded "-1" to have a specific and special non-percentage effect. Firaxis have historically used "-1" to have special meaning. Also try a lower value than "500" for the other side of the issue.

3. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

I had the same issue with older techs dropping to 1 turn using -30. It turns out, in my case anyway, the tech cost was correct but I was getting overflow from having so many beakers dumped into my current research when it was no longer affected by the "after game era" modifier it just made the first couple techs 1 turn and my modifier was substantially lower than 500. Unlike production overflow, research overflow appears to continue until it is all used rather than just for the next item.

What appears to work more as expected is to keep a relative small modifier in the after era and then a larger discount in the before era and use higher base tech costs. This doesn't help prevent advanced research at all, but the behavior in game feels better when the era changes.

4. firsTraveler

firsTraveler Chieftain