Europe (flat, 100x100) with CPF file

Arne

King
Today uploaded at the Civ Universum is this Europe map (Arnes Europa V.1.0). It is a flat map with starting locations (CPF file*) for up to 16 Civs. The readme.txt is again german only. Sorry. There are no changes in rules. The map is a standard map (100x100). Becouse of no zoom or minimap in Civ3Edit the map is a little twisted/dissorted. But during playing it is not noticeable(?). You dosn't see this.

Wich Civs are representing wich Nation?

Civs with historical or nearly correct starting-locations:

- Egypt
- Babylon
- Germans
- English
- French
- Greek
- Roman
- Russian

alternate Civs using instad of Civs, wich are not in Civ3:

- Indians for Carthagians {becouse of ther War Elephants}
- Chinese for Tartars {Horseman}
- Persian for Turks/Ottomans
- Japanese for Wikings {Samurai -> Berserk}
- Atzeks in Spain
- Zulu for Hunnes/Hungarians
- Amerikans for Kelts -> not placed to play with (small room)
- Zulu for Polish/Lith.

* How to play with correct starting locations? -> look at this thread (scroll down there). Or (may be) use the newest patch 1.21f. Available tomorrow.

Seems to be a great map, i'm sure i will try it!

The first where hungarians are in. Danke schön! :p

BTW, which is the Iroquis? Polish or hungarian? I don't think both are instead of the Zulus..

And i must correct you a little bit. The connection between huns and hungarians is not a fact but only a hystorical legend.
The hun tribes vanished after the death of their great leader Attila (i don't know how to spell his name in english) around the VI. century, and hungarians only arrived to the Carpathian Basin (where now Hungary is) at the end of the IX. century.

And yes, i'm a hungarian. :D

Hagen I'm thinking of doing some UUs for some of the smaller European nations and was wondering what to do for a hungarian UU.
The polish and Yugoslav nations will feature two types of Partisan UUs (I was thinking of the partisans led by Tito during WWII and those elements of the polish government who fought so valiantly to try and secure Warsaw from the germans while the red army sat on the sidelines and watched).
The Romanians will have a heavy medieval swordsman to represent the knights who fought of the turkish and muslim counter attack against europe.
Belguim will have a kind of light infantry to represent their WWI snipers who caused the germans so much trouble.

I'm not sure abou the others yet I'm going to work on a Napoleon era rifleman to fill the gap between musket man and rifle man and some of the nations such as Prussia and Austria could have varriants of this. These ideas are for a European map, so I though I'd post them here, where people who use a euro map are likely to see it.

Smoking mirror: that would be great. I try to give you some hints.

I think there are mainly 2 choices.

1. Mounted Archer. When the hungarian tribes arrived to Europe they were famed by their fast riders with bows, used hit and run tactics to raid western Europe for a while. Since heavy armoured cavalry became common and the knights smashed them badly at some battle in the late 10th century. Then the hungarians became roman catholic and founded a civilized kingdom.
After 300 years Mongols (Tartars) followed them, with similar strategy, they were more lethal, but couldn't found a permanent state.
[end of history lesson :) ]

So i think Mounted Archer shouldn't be an alternate Knight, 'cause they are a bit weaker. Maybe they should be a fast horseman 2/1/3 (3/1/2 would be better, but it's the Mounted Warrior of the Iroquise).

2. Hussar. Another rider unit. Were in use around the 17th - 19th century. They were fast moving light cavalry with fierce attacks. According to my studies under the rule of Marie-Theresia (Habsburg) they participated in the 7year war (18th century), where other countries could experience their usability and became popular.

I think they should be an alternate cavalry, with +1 movement 6/4/4. If it's too powerful (i'm afraid it is), decrease the attack or defense by 1 point. Maybe the saltpeter requirement should be deleted, because they strategy was mainly close combat. My text strats to became rather confusing so I simply describe 2 options:

2/a: Hussar: 6/2/4, requires Horses, Saltpeter
2/b: Hussar: 6/3/3, requires Horses

But i don't know, it shold be balanced. The main points that they were fast, used effective surprise attacks, not too great defense.

Thanks for reading this lengthy message.

Ooops, i've got another idea. :D

Historically hungarians were under foreign rule for a long time. In the 1500s Ottoman Turks captured the largest part of the country and gold it for 150 years, and then the Habsburg era lasted until the WWI.
During this time hungarians always wanted to restore their own kingdom, and started a pretty number rebellions. None of them lasted too long, but some kind of resistance was present nearly always.
So, the third option for the UU could be the Rebel, a musketman with Hidden Nationality, here it goes:

Rebel: hungarian UU, 2/4/1, hidden nat., requires Saltpeter.

The problem is that in fact they fighted against their foreign ruler, but in the game they will probably be used other way.

Smoking mirror, please choose. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask me.

Sorry, i've got another comment.

Smoking mirror: By Romanian you mean the present day state Romania, not the ancient Roman empire isn't it?

Then I must say that the "heavy medieval swordsman" can be good maybe, but tipically their fight against the the Turk invaders wasn't tipical I think.

[history lesson in]
The two medieval romanian coutries called Moldova and Havasalfold (it's in hungarian i don't know the english version, this is the land between the Carpathian mountains and river Danube) became vassal states of the Ottoman Empire eary, together with Transylvania. (BTW Transylvania was the only part of the Hungarian kingdom wich maintained limited independence under the 150 years of Turkish rule in Hungary.) They ( i mean romanian states) restored their full independence only in the 18th-19th century, and united in the 1860s or 70s. After all they are not roman catholics but orthodox, so the holy war stlye was not their business.
[history lesson out]

Maybe you should ask a romanian what she or he thinks about it. Sorry if i was not fully correct.
How about a vampire unit, after the unfamous Havasalfold ruler, Vlad Tepes (aka Dracula)? :vampire:

And finally about the nations general:

Poland: i don't know if the partisans are the best choise, but i can't suggest better.

Yugoslavia: partisans are great. Unfortunately there are no Yugoslav nations, they are serbs, croatians, slovenians, bosnians, macedonians as we know. However it would be difficult to insert them all, and if you insert only one nation, that's problematic again - for the others.

Some nations from eastern europe, you haven't mentioned. Don't you think about the Czechs, Bulgarians or maybe the Lithuanians and Ukrans. Not to mention some smaller nations like Albanians, Slowakians, Estonians, etc...
There are pretty much nations here, if you love to create new UUs! :D

Well i think i should shut my big mouth for a while...

Hagen, did you notice, this is only a map? No changes to rules are done there. The listed civs "only" represent the named civs and the starting location are, where the named civs would start form. The civs in game are still the originals.

You ideas are great ideas in parts, yes. Feel free, to use the map for making one great european scenario. :) I'm sure, I would play it.

But like I wrote in the other thread (Worldmap with CPF) "Now there is relased the patch 1.21fger, but there are still compatibility problems with different localizations of Civ3. So the next version of this map also still have to wait, becouse the community of our website/forum is german in most parts. May be, once there will be one, but may be to, there never will be a further version of this map... sorry, if so." The same is with this map, so I could not make a mod.

Smoking mirror, I also miss some kind of Napoleonic era rifleman so I absolutly agree with this idea. It would be great, if anybody could make such UU. I hope, such things (graphics) will be included in PtW. If not, it seems I have to do it by myself.

For Arne; On the "news" part of this site, it was said the other day that in "PTW" localisation issues will be fixed; though that may be still a little while in the future (PTW not ariving for a couple of months), but compatibility problems between german and English/American CIV IIIs should then be fixed.

For hagen; Thanks for the info, there are always lots of things to think about when deciding what to use as a UU for each new civ; Cos usualy they start a golden age. So the UU has realy to turn up when that civ is at its height (Legions for the Romans, Panzers for the germans). Many of the eastern european and balkan CIVs were considered to be barbarians through the late iron age and early middleages(Not realy true cos the word barbarian comes from Greek, and means "people who don't speak Greek", I guess that many of the balkan peoples actualy would have spoken greek) , so to have their Golden age then would not make sense, I think most of them will have UUs from the industrial or even modern age. For example the Czechs will have an early type of WWII tank, building continued on the Czech tank even when the nation was occupied by the germans. I guess this time was not the golden age for the czechs, but under different circumstances (had they not bee forced to abandon their borders to the germans by british and french diplomatic presure) the Czech tank would have proved to be a good match for the early german panzers.

smoking mirror:

You're right, these nations (i mean in eastern europe) started to get civilized only around 1000 AD, but it's far from the industrial age, wich i suppose cannot be started before the 1700s (unless you play on harder difficulty levels :king: ). Many of them had a little golden age in the middle ages, escpecially when western europe suffered in black death and 100 year war etc. :D

arnie: I think I will do some european mod, but I want the new patch with an usable editor. BTW can I use your map for this?

Originally posted by hagen
BTW can I use your map for this?
Of cource, feel free to use this map. (Some little credit would be nice). ;)

Hey Arne, i have played both your world map and your europe map, and they are both great, except that my world map is flat and my europe one is round! What happened and how can I fix it?

First: Sorry, I was not online for more then 2 months. So I couldn't answer your posts.

@Plexus: Yes, feeel free to use this map. (Some credit would be nice)

@Martino: I know this problem. In some Civ-Versions the map is not flat. I have to chek the map again, but at the moment I could not do this.

Same question like in the worlmap-thread: Is there still need for an update of this map? I think not; so I could concentrate at other projects. :D Other meanings?

Originally posted by Arne
Today uploaded at the Civ Universum is this Europe map (Arnes Europa V.1.0). It is a flat map with starting locations (CPF file*) for up to 16 Civs. The readme.txt is again german only. Sorry. There are no changes in rules. The map is a standard map (100x100). Becouse of no zoom or minimap in Civ3Edit the map is a little twisted/dissorted. But during playing it is not noticeable(?). You dosn't see this.

Wich Civs are representing wich Nation?

Civs with historical or nearly correct starting-locations:

- Egypt
- Babylon
- Germans
- English
- French
- Greek
- Roman
- Russian

alternate Civs using instad of Civs, wich are not in Civ3:

- Indians for Carthagians {becouse of ther War Elephants}
- Chinese for Tartars {Horseman}
- Persian for Turks/Ottomans
- Japanese for Wikings {Samurai -> Berserk}
- Atzeks in Spain
- Zulu for Hunnes/Hungarians
- Amerikans for Kelts -> not placed to play with (small room)
- Zulu for Polish/Lith.

* How to play with correct starting locations? -> look at this thread (scroll down there). Or (may be) use the newest patch 1.21f. Available tomorrow.

Is it possible to download it?

I love this Europe map because it does include Islam world. But I couldn't download it......

Originally posted by avalanche
Is it possible to download it?
Sorry, actually it isn't. Our host seems to have massive server problems, so there is no way for downloading this. We really hope for fast fixing of these problems.

Are you using PtW, avalance? I've made a PtW-Version of this map, if you also have PtW, i could send you the map file.

Top Bottom