Females and iMacs

Sid

Observer and Participant
Supporter
This is blatantly sexist and self-absorbing. However: I am interested in whether there are many females who play SMAC/AX -- and separately -- how many addicted fanatics (like me) play on the iMac. I'm doing an Honours thesis on 'civ' games and 'civilisation' per se, so there is an academic component as well (really cogent replies are liable to be quoted!).

On game issues, what set-up strategies do any of you have to prevent the long slog if one gets into a mid-range technology conflict with one or two aggressive (AI) factions. Does anyone have customised factions or an editor that works for the Mac?

G'day to everyone -- Peacekeepers rock!

I'm neither female nor using an iMAC, but as for the long-term strategy I'll sadly have to admit being rather poor at that. I always attempt to keep a modest military preparation at all times, doubly so if I am neighbored to some of the more militant and/or agressive factions. I attempt to keep a few reserve units for counter-attacks and keep the border(s) secure, but I am always forced to get to producing units when I am attacked, because my defences generally only barely manage to hold and my reserves get depleted rather quickly. What I tend to do is build the defenses up to a point where the enemy is locked in a status quo which he cannot break, then I start building an offensive and push him back, generally taking a large chunk of his land in the process.

It so happens that I am a lady.:) I play SMAC/SMACx even more than I play Civ these days. I have created a custom faction, which I play often. I am the Peacemonger from Hades, but I'm always prepared for war. Let's just say that I don't like to fight, but if you mess with me, you have a most formiddable enemy to contend with. Basically, I'm a classic Builder, whose emphasis is on Technology, Expansion, Infrastucture, and Energy.

I am interested in whether there are many females who play SMAC/AX
Both of the females that play SMAC may not read this thread. The other one may not even know about civFanatics. ;)

LOL, note... this is like the joke in my college days... "Did you hear about the devastating fire int the college library???" "NO!!" "Well, it destroyed everything, including both books!!" :lol: :lol:

So it will be an interesting thesis if you simple find females that play SMAC... even the number that play Civ II are pretty small :(.

I'm a guy and I love my iMac (it's more controllable, but less intelligent than other partners)(-;

Cunobelin? are you the same chap who ruled the Catuvellauni in 43CE? In any event, I'd be happy to hear if you are doing any customising of SMAC or SMAX and whether you are waiting for Civ3 ?

To the females who replied: thanks very much, if any of you get the time I'd be interested in whether you think Firaxis has got the play-balance right. There has obviously been an intention to spread the genders across the faction leaders. However, I await Civ3's handling of diplomacy to see how subtle our 'civilisation' can be.

Well, I'm fairly busy with school right now, but I've done some customization in the past. I have many tribe.txt files that I rotate in and out of the game, but only one or two graphics files because of the time involved in creating a good one.

Top Bottom