First turn as the Americans

vinstafresh

Prince
You start out with a great person. If you start out with a great scientist, then do this:

Found Washington, open the city screen. Adjust one of your worker to at least one trade. Close the city screen. Open the tech screen and start researching bronze working. Select your great scientist and rush bronze working. Now adjust the workers of Washington to your liking and start making archers from 4000BC.

It might be useful in multiplayer if someone is trying to rush you with warriors, but even then bronze working doesn't take that long to research and using a great scientist for it seems kinda wasteful.

A great scientist can either finish the current tech, or add 50% to a cities science production right?

If you are going down the rush route - it might be worth burning the GS on irrrigation to ensure you get the 1st to research bonus (+1 pop each city). Of all the early techs I think this is the one that gives you the biggest boost to be first to research.

On the other hand, adding the GS to your capital straight away and then putting all workers to trade tiles would almost guarantee (sp?) you the first-to-research bonii for the first few techs you research.

I reckon a Great Builder would be the best GP to start with, as you could insta-rush a wonder on turn one :D

if I started with a Great Scientist, I would settle him for bonus science.

But I think I'd prefer to start out with a Great Leader or Great Thinker...start out with veterans, or have a Great thinker you could hold onto to burn on stealing someone else's city fairly quickly.

i think that would be a complete waste of a great person
adding him to the city, then researching library then building a library would double that cities scientific output so that after a few more techs you would be better off than if you have just rushed bronze working

The way I usually play is to put the workers on production tiles only to get 3 units out (and form an army at a barbarian village somewhere). After the 4th warrior is in my capital, I put the workers on science. So that's 10 turns without any science. You could produce archers from turn 15 (while still on science, so no production) or get 3 archers out there from turn 1.

But I have to admin, at King you should probably settle the scientist for the benefit of hundreds of turns to follow.

The way I usually play is to put the workers on production tiles only to get 3 units out (and form an army at a barbarian village somewhere). After the 4th warrior is in my capital, I put the workers on science. So that's 10 turns without any science. You could produce archers from turn 15 (while still on science, so no production) or get 3 archers out there from turn 1.

But I have to admin, at King you should probably settle the scientist for the benefit of hundreds of turns to follow.

Sorry, I do not understand... why all workers in production when the game start? that will slow you down because the city is not growing.... or Maybe I misunderstand you.

When you put all workers in production, you can get out units fast (5 turns for 2 warriors in stead of 1). After 8 turns you have 3 units out there that can form an army while exploring. If you have the default setup for your workers, you're still at pop 2 and halfway the production of your second warrior.

You can get some nice experience for your army at barbarian villages and with that army you keep on exploring. When you find a capital, try finding an adjacent hill or forest to attack from. You'll probably get a single archer or two as a defender. With the experience and region bonus, you're pretty sure of a win. I normally take out a capital (or 2) with that army on King. Sometimes you even get an early general.

After the army is out there and one unit for protection is left in my friendly capital, I switch to science only and wait for the free settler at 100 gold. I'll set the biggest city (probably the one I conquered) to gold to get to 100 gold faster. Not building settlers means you don't have to invest in the 2 population loss.

I usually let the enemy capitals produce an archer army while I set my workers to production only and switch to science after the army is produced. You'll get the first turn bonuses for each tech you research.

I use the irrigation pop bonus for a food region in each city and let my cities grow after that, using that region. I try to fill the blank spot between the two capitals with cities specialized for production or trade.

The Japanese are an awesome civ for this strategy, since they get an extra food in a sea region (basically a free harbor). So while focussing on science, the city still grows!

Not building settlers means you don't have to invest in the 2 population loss.

Playing as Rome also solves this problem since they start with the Republic.

If your using the americans then you could do a # of things actually. Something smart would be to actually rush the GS for BW and start massing legion armies and run over the map taking over GH's and BV's to get the extra gold to rush your units every turn and tryout a quick rush to see how that works. You would have legion armies while they still only have warriors. And even if they went straight for BW by the time you got to their base, they most likely wouldn't even have an archer army yet, but most likely not.

BW gives you archers, IW gives you legion

Oh excuse. Over-thinking. Well in that case you could use the great person for BW then rush for IW. Or take a different approach. But either way Americans could turn out to be a great rushing team.

If by luck i get a GS i would definitly settle the GS because having a long game strategy would be alot stronger than focusing on a quick rush where u can get bit in the A$$ because if the early rush fails your in a slump.

I'm sorry. I believe I meant early rush HB with your scientist.

Top Bottom