Fix Winged Hussar from Obsoleting at Rifling

notque

Artificially Intelligent
-- Make Hussar replace Knight to be upgraded into
INSERT INTO UnitReplaces (CivUniqueUnitType, ReplacesUnitType) VALUES ('UNIT_POLISH_HUSSAR', 'UNIT_KNIGHT');
-- Change Obsoletion for Hussar from Rifling to Knights
UPDATE UNITS Set MandatoryObsoleteTech='TECH_COMPOSITES' WHERE UnitType= 'UNIT_POLISH_HUSSAR';

You don't have to do the knight replacement, this is just what I'm doing for nqmod, but it'll save you a couple minutes to just copy and paste it.

Cheers.

you're not worried about heavy chariot upgrading directly into mass hussar? Seems like it could be a problem with how easy it is to get to hussars on the Civics tree. Poland could consistently tech straight to education and industrialization (skipping stirrups, machinery, etc) while upgrading into the most powerful unit available before cav. You could _maybe_ even go straight to flight, relying entirely on mass hussar to hold off every pre-modern unit.

Of course this is true either way, except that your change makes it possible to never spend a single hammer on a hussar. Chariots are cheap, mercenaries gives the upgrade policy (and is the tech for hussars), and gold is easy to come by when you can skip the bottom half of the tech tree.

This seems distressing from a balance perspective.

Although with how you've got pikemen buffed, it might not be as big a problem as in vanilla.

you're not worried about heavy chariot upgrading directly into mass hussar? Seems like it could be a problem with how easy it is to get to hussars on the Civics tree. Poland could consistently tech straight to education and industrialization (skipping stirrups, machinery, etc) while upgrading into the most powerful unit available before cav. You could _maybe_ even go straight to flight, relying entirely on mass hussar to hold off every pre-modern unit.

Of course this is true either way, except that your change makes it possible to never spend a single hammer on a hussar. Chariots are cheap, mercenaries gives the upgrade policy (and is the tech for hussars), and gold is easy to come by when you can skip the bottom half of the tech tree.

This seems distressing from a balance perspective.

Although with how you've got pikemen buffed, it might not be as big a problem as in vanilla.

Replacing or not was trying to maintain consistency around timing pushes. If it's an issue, it can be changed. The fix is more to do with when they obsolete.

The problem is really more around how strong Hussars are, and that they come in the civics tree more than anything else. The replacing I agree does increase the problem though.

I don't love timing pushes in general, and think they are a rather stupid way that the game works, but the online community all uses them and feels like they are a core part of playing. Not having them, is a huge nerf to a unit given that.

I've made all the units have the timing pushes to keep them on par with other units that have them. This is an odd case that will need to be considered.

Fair enough, I appreciate the value of symmetry in design. I do believe in the future it will become clear that Poland is a problem :) But that bridge can get crossed later.

Top Bottom