France quiz for Yankees

How much do you tip at restaurants?

• 15%

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • 18%

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 20%

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Whatever it takes to keep them from spitting in my food!

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
Wife of one, mother of three Valois kings of France?

It's a wine producing egion of the Rhone Valley. Its wine are reputed to be among the best in the region. The name (taht translates "New Castle of the Pope") comes from the time when there were 2 Popes, the one in Rome and the one in Avignon (Provence, France). There is still the main medieval castle of the Popes of Avignon (in Avignon!) , but no more popes now.

As a native French speaker, I am always happy to talk about French culture and history. Here are a few basic questions that Frenchies learn in highschool - let's compare the level of education with... euh, our American friends for whom this quiz was made. Here is my selected kings'quiz for you :

1) What French prince was originally protestant but had to convert to catholicism in order to ascend the throne of France ?

2) What historical period (a dynasty and the centuries) was named the time of the "lazy kings" ? :king:

3) Who was the first king of France (not another kingdom called differently)?

4) Who did princess Eleonore of Aquitaine get married to, and what were the consequences for France.

5) What French king did invite an anti-pope to France (Avignon) because of its ambition and incompatibility of mood with the Pope of the time ?

6) Swiss-born Necker was a famous stateman and minister. Who was the king he was serving ?

7) By which treaties did the Spanish Succesion War of the early 18th century ended ? Who was the French king of the time who succeded in puting his grand-son on the Spanish throne by one of this treaties and in exchange of what ? (tip, Juan Carlos of Spain, the present king, is still a descendant of this king and dynasty)

8) Who was Louis XVII ? Why didn't he reign ?

9) How old was Louis XV when he ascended the throne after the death of his great-grand-father Louis XIV ?

10) Which French king died in front of Tunis during a crusade ? Why is he particularily famous to the Christian ?

I hope you haven't eaten too many kings ; I'll try something more varied in the next quiz :king: :king:

As nobody look at this forum anymore, I 've moved my quiz to a new thread.:p

Top Bottom