1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Railroad Tycoon Deluxe download!

Discussion in 'Other Sid Meier Games' started by Greybriar, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Greybriar

Greybriar Prince

That's because the game download is labelled wrong. What is shown is Railroad Tycoon. What it actually is is Railroad Tycoon Deluxe.

2. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Emperor

I am wary of downloading from a third party. These third party downloads probably work, but how safe are they?

Quote from one of them, softpedia:
    They did not mention adware. I suspect and expect adware from all free games downloaded from third party sites, until the oposite is proven.

What is your opinions?

3. HermannLombard

HermannLombard Warlord

I haven't been able to get this to work on my laptop, probably due to the embedded "number pad" within the regular keyboard. I can lay track in the cardinal directions using the arrow keys, but not diagonal track. I believe I've tried every combo of the "Blue fn", shift, num lock, and the 1-3-7-9 keys, including (just now) hitting the Num Lock key 2, 3, or even 4 times. Any ideas (other than zig-zag track)?

4. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Emperor

I also use a laptop. In some games the PgUp/Down, Home, End and Insert keys works as numpad.

You can also try to use the Numlock. On my pc, it is Fn + NumLock. When NumLock is activated, certain keys on the keyboard works as numpad.

5. HermannLombard

HermannLombard Warlord

Mine is also Fn-NumLk. I can navigate the screen with (say) Shift-Fn-9 but I can't lay track that way. I haven't tried Page Up (etc.) so I'll try those. Thanks for the ideas. It would be nice to play an old favorite again, and I'm confident that Railroads isn't going to work on this laptop.

6. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Emperor

Buy an usb numpad. They are not so expensive and I found it to be a good investment.

7. Reignking

Reignking Prince

Ah, the good ol' "upgrade your machine" advice...

8. HermannLombard

HermannLombard Warlord

Customary with new games, unusual with an "ancient" one. Come to think of it I once had to get a PCMCIA card with a game card adapter so I could use an old FlightSim control yoke on a laptop. That USB numpad would be a hell of a lot cheaper than the video card upgrades--or new computers--needed to play games like Railroads! and Oblivion and Caesar IV and Civ4 and Medieval 2: Total War and... :eek:

9. Civ4Rocks

Civ4Rocks Chieftain

I have tryied to play it, but I can't get track to appear :mad:. I am probably doing somthing really dumb. :blush:

10. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Emperor

Yes. ;)
    But often the "upgrade your machine" advices are about more expensive things like RAM, CPU and graphics cards.

Without the necessary keys, even an up-to-date computer will be hampered.

11. Greybriar

Greybriar Prince

Did you try pressing the Num Lock key twice? After that, it should act as a toggle to lay track. At least it did for me.

12. RalphCringely

RalphCringely Chieftain

Got it working, laying track on diagonals, after several tries. Num Lock must be OFF when DOSbox fires up. Then I gotta toggle NumLock on and off after loading a saved game. At that point I can lay tracks on diagonals using the number pad.

13. Greybriar

Greybriar Prince

Welcome to the Civilization Fanatics' Forums, RalphCringely. :beer: