G-Minor CCIII

aafritz17

Escaping
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.
(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

PLEASE NOTE - "No Goody Huts" must be checked!! (It's Chieftain, and you're Shaka! C'mon!)

EDIT after HOF January 31, 2023 update: The setting for "No Good Huts" was changed from "Illegal" to Compulsory". This is how this gauntlet was MEANT to be played, and it is how all submitted games WERE played. Fortunately.

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Chieftain
  • Map Size: Small
  • Map Type: Boreal
  • Speed: Epic
  • Leader: Zulu (Shaka)
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Goody Huts
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 2nd to 31st January 2023
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Last edited:
Did two tries on this one....first was curiously taking too long....took out neighboring Mongols to free up land for settling, and had China and Germans, especially, hating me and taking forever to gain culture...so gave that game up.

Started another and went swimmingly well. Turn 245/1000 AD. Got a pretty nice settling area in middle of map and had no war efforts whatsoever, so beyond them "coveting my lands", my culture grew on them very quickly.

Started another and went swimmingly well. Turn 245/1000 AD. Got a pretty nice settling area in middle of map and had no war efforts whatsoever, so beyond them "coveting my lands", my culture grew on them very quickly.
Nice! A peaceful win for the Zulus is very cool.

At Chieftain level though, neighbors seem to invite conquest for many, I think.
The trick in this one, I think, is balancing the need to generate tourism with the desire to conquer other civs that have a leg up on culture.

Suggest rewording "Must __Not__ Be Checked: No Goody Huts"?
Sorry, haven't been able to be here much lately, totally missed this question.

I agree, that bullet-text is confusing. (Those bullets are actually copied from what shows on the HOF's gauntlet tab.) As I knew what it meant, it didn't jump out at me as being oddly worded, but I sure see how it would be when you first read it. Incidentally, that is why I always try to add that "PLEASE NOTE" text when there is something unusual in the settings.

Sorry, haven't been able to be here much lately, totally missed this question.

I agree, that bullet-text is confusing. (Those bullets are actually copied from what shows on the HOF's gauntlet tab.) As I knew what it meant, it didn't jump out at me as being oddly worded, but I sure see how it would be when you first read it. Incidentally, that is why I always try to add that "PLEASE NOTE" text when there is something unusual in the settings.
Color me wrong!

So, I set this game up incorrectly. Enacting the various "extra" criteria requires setting a series of bits to on or off, but it can be done in two different fields. One is "Illegal Option Bits", the other is "Compulsory Option Bits". I should have set this in the "Compulsory" field, but I errantly did so in the "Illegal" field. That's why we had the confusing wording "Must_Not_Be_Checked". It wasn't just confusing, it was flat out wrong!

I found this when there were ZERO games submitted during the update. "Wait" I said to myself, "I know there were a couple of players who submitted games!" Took some checking, but I finally figured out what I'd done. Fortunately, I was able to reconfigure the gauntlet so that the 3 games submitted showed up (see the next post).

The following are the results of G-Minor CCIII. The settings are at the bottom of the page:

RankPlayerDateTurnScore
[IMG alt="Bronze Medal"]http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ5/images/bronze.png[/IMG]zenmaster125 BC1653640
2zlither130 AD1824262
3billybgame1000 AD2453787

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Chieftain
  • Map Size: Small
  • Map Type: Boreal
  • Speed: Epic
  • Leader: Zulu (Shaka)
  • Required: No Goody Huts
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 2nd January to 4th February 2023
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Top Bottom