Game won't launch

fsuscotsman

Chieftain
I have the strangest problem I've seen yet. I play Civ6 on two computers, my desktop which is a fully capable hot rod, and my older laptop. In the past, it has played fine on both. Now, my desktop machine will not load any game that has a mod. I was using several user-made mods on my laptop and they work fine. I make the save to my steam cloud. Yesterday I started to start a new game on my desktop. I kept getting the message that a mod wouldn't let the game load. OK, I started turning them off, one by one. Still can't get a game to start. OK, I turned off ALL user mods, leaving only authorized mods. I'm STILL getting the message that a mod won't let the game start!!! WHAT???? Just on a whim, I tried to play a saved game from my laptop that had a lot of user mods in use. I selected it from the cloud saves....it played just fine!!!

So, to recap, I can't start a new desktop game, but it will play if I use a game started on my laptop. I'm totally confused as to what to do and don't even know where to begin to troubleshoot this. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it. Just glad my laptop is a warhorse!!!

First verify the integrity of your game files through Steam. If that doesn't work, next try deleting the Mods.sqlite file @ "...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods.sqlite" and the three debug files in "...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Cache". If that still doesn't work, try uninstalling the game making sure to delete any leftover files/folders in "...\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI" and "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI", and then do a fresh install.

Hello, I have exactly he same problem as fsuscotsman decribes. I joined the Steam staff to solve and have been "fed" with nonsense for three month at least. They were totally unable to manage and propose something decent.
I'll certainly try Laurana's suggestion and let you know here.
Joined, the bug screen (French version) any time I try to start a game on the main PC (everything works fine on the laptop).

Attachments

• civ6_bug_demarrage.jpg
    civ6_bug_demarrage.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 48
Hello, I have exactly he same problem as fsuscotsman decribes. I joined the Steam staff to solve and have been "fed" with nonsense for three month at least. They were totally unable to manage and propose something decent.
I'll certainly try Laurana's suggestion and let you know here.
Joined, the bug screen (French version) any time I try to start a game on the main PC (everything works fine on the laptop).

I had the same bug with the latest patch, and just disabling the mods in the game menu didn't help - seems bugged. I had to actually delete them (well, I made backups elsewhere). I don't know if it makes a difference, but you might also want to delete the workshop files in e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\xxxxxxxxx (x's being numbers, really convenient naming by steam, right? I checked the correct folder by date). I did also reinstall the game to another drive (didn't bother moving the installed files, downloading doesn't take that long anyway), since I just bought another 1TB SSD (you'd think that 3.5TB SSD + 8TB HDD space would be enough, but no).

I had the same bug with the latest patch, and just disabling the mods in the game menu didn't help.
True ! :goodjob::cry:
Now, I strictly followed Laurana's advice and it worked perfectly ! Congratulations and thank you ! :love::thumbsup:
You must pay attention to delete the mentioned files and directories BEFORE reinstalling the full game. :D
Of course, this will restart the configuration from scratch (sounds levels, screen definition...), but it worth the pain. :)

Top Bottom