Gamespeed

El Koeno

Emperor
Hi,

I thought I'd give epic speed a try, while I usually play normal. However I was surprised with how quick I reached AD times. It seems to be going a bit slower, but not very much. Maybe I didn't select epic speed by accident, but I can't find a way to check, is there any way to do so? Moreover I'd like to know what you guys think of game speeds.

Marathon is the BEST! Huge Fractal Marathon 80+ hour games are great.

Either Epic or Marathon can seem to get into the 0 AD periods before 'it seems right.' It does seem odd, but it comes out in the wash later on. Not worth dwelling on.

Marathon. If only there weren't so many barbs, though.

I like normal to epic.

I'd like marathon, but unit production still seems to be too slow to me. Buildings etc., are good though IMO.

Ideally, I'd like to see normal speed unit production within a marathon time frame. Using a huge map, that would play out perfectly IMO with plenty of time to move around and do your thing.

I love the wars on Marathon. I believe if you go into the info or victory conditions screen there is a "settings" option towards the bottom. To the left is the options you selected concerning map size, starting era, game speed, etc. In the middle is any misc options like raging barbs, agg AI, etc. To the right is all the leaders you have met and the stats. (traits and country... possibly fav civic.)

Thanks for the useful info, Flevance. Have to check it out, but it sounds nice to be able to see what trait etc your oppononts have.

I might try marathon sometime. I like the switch to epic so far. But although I was struggling on normal/prince, now on epic/prince I'm starting to develop a tech lead despite numerous wars. Maybe on slower speeds it is easier to time your wars well, so you can get the most benefit out of them?

einherjar_LC said:
I like normal to epic.

Ideally, I'd like to see normal speed unit production within a marathon time frame. Using a huge map, that would play out perfectly IMO with plenty of time to move around and do your thing.

Thats just the mod I made... :)

Is that mod available for download Doomed?

If not, could someone give me some pointers how to mod something like that myself?

Marathon is most balanced. Epic is good too.

einherjar_LC said:
I like normal to epic.

I'd like marathon, but unit production still seems to be too slow to me. Buildings etc., are good though IMO.

I agree. I think it be very interesting if they added another game speed option, which was a combination of marathon and normal - or even quick. It would use Marathon calculations for Science/Techs, Buildings, Settler building cost and worker improvements, but for units it would use a lesser calculation. It really would be interesting to see a map where it takes 40-50 turns to get a new tech, but in about 5-10 your able to output the same number of troops you would have in say a normal game. Units would last for so long too, you wouldn't really need to worry about them becomming obsolete too soon. Would make for quite the game.

Gyhth said:
I agree. I think it be very interesting if they added another game speed option, which was a combination of marathon and normal - or even quick. It would use Marathon calculations for Science/Techs, Buildings, Settler building cost and worker improvements, but for units it would use a lesser calculation. It really would be interesting to see a map where it takes 40-50 turns to get a new tech, and but in about 5-10 your able to output the same number of troops you would have in say a normal game. Units would last for so long too, you wouldn't really need to worry about them obsolete too soon. Would make for quite the game.

You would need a lot of AI tuning to make this work at all. It would be even easier than in standard Civ4 to just suddenly build up a huge army and roll over your neighbor. To make it work, you would have to teach the AI to do that, too---but I don't think most human players would enjoy being on the receiving end of that.

DaviddesJ said:
You would need a lot of AI tuning to make this work at all. It would be even easier than in standard Civ4 to just suddenly build up a huge army and roll over your neighbor. To make it work, you would have to teach the AI to do that, too---but I don't think most human players would enjoy being on the receiving end of that.

Very true, your ultrahuge SOD would arrive at Gandhi's borders and find size 12 Bombay was still only defended by an archer and a spearman :)

I would like a game mode like that too, though I would say marathon tech speeds + epic build costs myself.

To check the parameters of your current game click on the fist in the upper right corner. When the new window appears click on 'Settings'. I think this is the answer to your question.

I like to vary it based on the map size,
Game I can play in half a day= Normal Speed, Small/Standard Map
Game I can play over a Month or two= Marathons Speed, Huge Map

That Size:Speed link tends to keep the values good.

I'm a newly converted marathon player and the one disappointment is how impossible it is to get more than 1 legendary cultural city. My GP farm (also the capitol) did it but 2 other cities that did nothing but pump out culture were not even close in 2050. Essen only had 131k and did manage to flip both the English capitol and second largest cities. My 3rd cultural city wasnt even over 100k. It also seems that very few wonders can be completed before 0AD. But the wars are magnificient!!!!

Top Bottom