1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

General Strategy to Counter Zulu Freaks in MP

Discussion in 'CivRev - Multiplayer' started by vman, Feb 19, 2009.

1. TheTopCat

TheTopCat Chieftain

If you use the French in the right way...

If you use any Civ the right way...

If my Auntie had testicles, she'd be my Uncle...

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, Morte, including yourself, so let someone else have a say without flaming them. :)

2. MorteEterna

MorteEterna Prince

Maybe you are really slow as a zulu rusher, but I usually have an army in 5-6 turns, 4 tiles next to my cap and probrably near a capital. You suggest things that nobody is going to do. Cathedral does nothing in the first turns, same for Monarchy, you don't start with bronze working and +50% defence is not going to help. Getting walls in your capital is a real waste of time then.
    Japan good at defending to zulu? Are you joking? They have no starting bonuses to help in defending. NO BONUSES. If Aztecs just build archers, that would be a noob probrably. I have never seen good players building archers as Aztecs, unless they got a really bad start and try to defend against Arabs or horse rushers

3. TheTopCat

TheTopCat Chieftain

Yet another positive contribution, Morte.

I offered my ideas, so why not offer yours? :crazyeye:

(and btw, any Civ can be used to defend from a Zulu rush provided you play to the strengths of that Civ and yourself.)

Edit: Just out of curiosity... an army in 5-6 turns? Takes 3 turns to produce 1 warrior, you must get v lucky with your settler start points...

4. MorteEterna

MorteEterna Prince

I hate that sarcasm. I'm pretty sure I have helped thousands of players, or at least I tried it. In this forum I'm not posting many strategies because I seem to find more criticism and less comments. There are a lot of ways to stop Zulu but those are not the way to stop them, just wasting hammers/beakers. Japan won't defend better thank's to the +1 food, that's only a +10 food working on bronze working. An army in 5-6 turns? Luck? Are you kidding me? It happens 90% of the times that I have an army in 5 turns. Other 10% is bad luck. Simple:

1 warrior in 3 turn. You can move the settler, but not needed. You get a barb in 3700 BC if you are pretty lucky, you rush another warrior by 3700 BC and rush the other at 3600 and move the army 4 tiles away from the cap. If you aren't that lucky (that's 2 tiles away), you have the army by 3500 BC.

If I see there will be more comments, and less criticism with this sarcasm, I will post more strategies in this forum.

5. GGrayson

GGrayson Le CivRêve

wow, um..... I disagree w/ almost everything you have said in this thread.

A single archer is enough to stop an impi army most of the time, after you get to that point, you shouldn't have to worry about impis, but you don't really need to anyway, warriors can hold of the Zulu. They are only a threat in the first 10 turns or so, after that, it's usually bad skill that loses to the Zulu.

The Greeks may be ok to stop the Zulu, but it still takes more hammers and time to get things going for them, because pikemen aren't cheap. And Zulus usually get a few spies from huts/villages, which will take care of the Greek Courthouse and French Cathedral.

But, my main point of contention is anyone who says the French are good a combating the Zulu. 20 less beakers to research Masonary is not really that big of a deal. The Wall doesn't provide 100% defense in a capital, only 50%, so it's not even used to its full potential. So you're spending 30 beakers to get masonary right away, and then hoping warriors will stop the Zulu? Oh,,, you also recommend they get at least 2 archers??? Oh, ok.....

So you're spending 30 beakers on Masonary, 20 on Bronze Working, and then 20 hammers on two archers.... Or, you could just research Bronze for 20 beakers, and get an archer army for 30 hammers.

The Free Wall is not that great of a bonus, and the French are the worst civ in the game. Many players have tried to convince me that this isn't the case, and have never been able to prove it in many challenges. Almost all of the top players agree that if they aren't the worst, they are the 2nd worst at best. All they have is reliance on culture, which isn't that great of a thing to rely on. GPs are tactical tools, not strategic ones. The Free Wall is a bumb in the road to a rusher, not a roadblock. Free Pottery is one of the worst starting bonuses in the game, as it doesn't do much for you at the beginning, and only helps you get two techs faster, and the ability to build a granary.

And yes, a Zulu player should have an army in around 3500-3300BC, basically rushing a warrior a turn. It's unlucky/bad skill to have anything slower than this.

6. ScottieX

ScottieX Warlord

French strategy vs Zulu

As with any other civ - walk your settler and grab a AI cap if possible. Settle and get some gold.

Now try to cover the various approach routes for the zulu.

Get your 100g settler then push him towards where you think the zulu are and target a GA.

Now one of two things happen you find him (about 50% of the time) in which case you either surrender your cap or your 100g city to the zulu player and flip it back soon as he takes it, then watch him quit (if he is a noob which is very likely) or you build up some defenses and are at least in a better position than some other civs.

OR you meet AI and then start constantly asking them if thy have met him. if they do try to contact them when you can't see their units so that you can uncover their cap then wait for him to take their cap then flip it back. Now you have 2 or 3 caps and a WA and a 100g city and he probably has 2 cities and his units out of position and is ready for you to bring the pain ;)

I know this may require them to be noobs - but I note that by this standard the large majority of players are noobs because I very rarely loose to Zulus...