Get your Colonization Fix before the release

thelibra

Future World Dictator
Oi, Mates!

I am so incredibly stoked about Colonization coming out on the beautiful Civ4 engine that I can hardly stand it! I loved the original game immensely, and eventually found this: http://www.freecol.org/

It's a free Colonization Clone. Nowhere near as pretty as the Civ4 Colonization will be, but it's a good way to get your fix beforehand, and maybe even practice your strategy ideas before you get the real deal.

Anyway, this is greeaaaaat. Now I've got 4 must-have games coming out in the next 2 months that I've got to get. My debit card shall soon weep binary tears.

That fan made version of Colonization did not appeal to me. I still play the Windows 95 version of the original on my PC and I much prefer it to FreeCol. Despite its age, it runs just as well under Vista as it did under Window 95.

That fan made version of Colonization did not appeal to me. I still play the Windows 95 version of the original on my PC and I much prefer it to FreeCol. Despite its age, it runs just as well under Vista as it did under Window 95.

I almost agree! I would say it doesn't appeal to me yet. It's still not a final release and needs some polishing but I think it has the potential to be just as addictive as the original. I hope they finish it soon.

See, I only ever had the original on my Commodore 64 (I think), but don't have the original to install. I mean, the fanmade one isn't great, but it's good enough to get my "gotta play it!" fix until the original.

Another pretty neat Colonization-type game is any one of the Anno series. I've been playing Anno 1701 (aka 1701 A.D.)and enjoy it. Again, not as much as Colonization (or Civ, for that matter), but still a decent game all the same.

Why does the install stop and tell me to upgrade the Java Platform version first ??? :|

Why does the install stop and tell me to upgrade the Java Platform version first ??? :|
I think the install hates you...

What install are we talking about here? What version of java do you have? What is the maiden name of your grandmother?

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say you may need to upgrade your Java platform. Head to Java.com and download the free Java thingy.

hehe.. okay ,, okay... I was referring to the topic..FreeCol..
I did get the new Java... old one was Ver 1.42.. First time ever I seen that error though.. have played LOTS of games..
It runs fine now... thanks

Greybriar said:
Despite its age, it has better graphics that FreeCol. :p

Thorn said:
I almost agree! I would say it doesn't appeal to me yet. It's still not a final release and needs some polishing but I think it has the potential to be just as addictive as the original. I hope they finish it soon.
Truth is the final version won't come in a long time, and besides it'll already be obsolete once the official remake comes out. I don't think Firaxis will screw this one up. It never has, with any game, and the chance of FreeCol being (or even getting) better than it is extremely slim. :undecide:

Top Bottom