CFC Mod Archivist & Social Media Helper
- Sep 24, 2016
I didn't know anything about Civilization before 1997. Soon after I got my first computer in summer of 1997, my brother went to the stores and bought 2 games: Civilization II and Heroes of Might and Magic II. The reason he picked them was because both game received many awards, such as Game of the Year at GameSpot or Best Strategy Game of the Year. They are indeed excellent games. I have been addicted to both Civ2 and HOMM ever since...
It would be great if someone familiar with the Heroes of Might and Magic series can make a scenario about it. The HOMM series has many wonderful units, terrains, and castles...
In 2001 the creator of this site @Thunderfall asked his community to make a Heroes of Might & Magic Civ2 scenario. Well sorry it took nearly 23 friggin years for us to do it mate but here it is haha! Yes this project is a Heroes of Might & Magic 2 total conversion scenario modpack created by MetroPolis and Blake for Sid Meier's Civilization II MGE. Almost every part of Civ2 has been changed making this possibly the largest Civ2 MGE total conversion mod ever made! It's a few decades too late but we did it anyway! Blake has also created a Heroes of Might & Magic 1 Addon ModMod and is working on a enhanced Test of Time conversion too.Can someone who is familiar with the Heroes of Might and Magic series make a scenario...
Taken from ReadMe file:
Civilization 2 - Heroes of Might and Magic 2 Scenario Mod (MGE)
Author: @Metro Polis and @Blake00
Version: 1.0 07/10/2023
Scenario Homepage: https://blakessanctum.x10.mx/Mods/Civ2HoMM/
Scenario ModDB Page: https://www.moddb.com/mods/civilization-2-heroes-of-might-and-magic-2-mod
Civ News & Updates: https://blakessanctum.wordpress.com/tag/civilization/
Old Scenario Dev Forum Thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/6127/
Demonstration Video: youtu.be/g1V7_hjmjD0?list=PLZqnaGtTZxFbq3F5R6lqzyVvYzg9tRBPY
2. Requirements, Installation & Play Instructions
3. Known Issues
4. Addon Pack & Future Plans
6. Hints & FAQ
7. Version History
As a kid growing up in the 90s playing endless hours of the Sid Meier’s Civilization and Heroes of Might & Magic series Blake always wanted some sort of hybrid game that gave him the HoMM experience but in the Civ sandbox world. Amazing games like Master of Magic and the Age of Wonders series sort of granted that wish however it wasn’t until decades later when Blake was doing Civ2 scenario preservation work and lost scenario searches looking for Heroes of Might & Magic Civ scenarios that he discovered Tom2050's amazing HoMM3 mod for Civ3 that finally fulfilled his dream of a Civ sandbox HoMM game. Blake was so inspired by the awesomeness of Tom’s work that he wanted to try and make a Heroes of Might & Magic 2 Civilization 2 Mod to compliment it, as while he was useless at Civ3 modding he's pretty good with Civ2 modding. Blake was still hesitant to try though as he knew it would be a big job, however then he hit the jackpot!
Blake came across a super talented Civ 2 modder by the name of MetroPolis who had already started Blakes exact HoMM2 for Civ2 idea years ago but had abandoned the idea due to lack of interest. We tracked each other down and worked together on finishing Metro's original vision with a bit of Blake's vision mixed in with it. It's not quite as amazing as the HoMM3 for Civ3 mod as we're using an older Civ game (Civilization 2 Gold MGE) but we've done the best we can. We've changed almost every part of the game including the GUI and all the video & dll files making our scenario possibly the largest total conversion mod for Civ2 MGE ever made! We know that it's 20 years too late, no one will probably play it and people will wonder why we wasted 4 years of our time, but we had a ton of fun making it so meh, we did it anyway haha.
- HoMM2 Factions (Plus a bonus 7th Neutral faction)
- HoMM2 Units (unique to each faction)
- HoMM2 Castle Cities & Towns
- HoMM2 Themed City Buildings & Wonders
- HoMM2 Themed City Sky View screen
- HoMM2 Themed Map Terrains & Special Resources
- HoMM2 Themed Leaders & Diplomacy video heralds
- HoMM2 Themed Technologies
- HoMM2 Themed Wonder videos
- HoMM2 Themed Intro, Death & Victory videos
- HoMM2 Themed High Council video advisors
- HoMM2 Themed Castle Puzzle (Throne Room replacement)
- HoMM3 Themed Azure Super Dragon Breeding (Spaceship replacement)
- HoMM2 Themed GUI and Window backgrounds (with custom font colours)
- HoMM2 Themed Menu, Commands and Event text
- HoMM2 Inspired Adventure map (filled with danger & interesting events)
- HoMM2 Music & Sounds
2. Requirements, Installation & Play Instructions:
3. Known Issues:
4. Addon Pack & Future Plans:
6. Hints & FAQ:
7. Version History:
07/10/2023 Version 1.0 – First release!
- @Metro Polis - an extremely talented retired Civ2 mod maker who’s responsible for a lot of the awesome things in this scenario! Feel free to check out his Civ2ToT - Star Trek Final Frontier mod, his Civ2 - Star Control scenario, his Civ2 - Ultimate Star Trek Mod and his old Civ2 - Star Trek Test Scenario.
- @Blake00 - an okayish Civ2 mod maker who's polished, tinkered & added lots of extra things to this project and took over finishing it after Metro retired from modding in 2020. Feel free to check out my other projects such as my Civ2 - Red Alert 2 Siege of NYC scenario, my Civ2 - Command & Conquer scenario remaster, my Civ2 - Dune 2 Dynasty scenario, my Civ2 - Terminator Future War scenario remaster, my Civ2 - Civ1 Graphics mod demaster, my Civ2ToT - Master of Magic Jr scenario remaster, my Civ2 - Deadworld Reborn scenario remaster, my Civ2 - Starcraft scenario addon, my Civ2 - Warcraft scenario addon, my Civ2 - Better Terrain Graphics mod, my Civ2 - Playstation Graphics mod remaster, my Civ2 - ToT Graphics mod remaster, my Civ2 - Alpha Centauri scenario remaster, my Attila's Conquest - Play as Barbarians in every Civ game scenario series, my old Civ2 - Star Wars scenario, and my Civ1 - Soundtrack Overhaul mod. I'm also the creator of the popular GZDoom - Star Trek TNG Doom and GZDoom - Quest For Glory IV 3D Hexen mods.
- @Knighttime - for his beautiful custom Diplomacy screen background template from his awesome Civ2ToT - Medieval Millennium mod.
- @MattDempsey - for his original custom Dragon breeding spaceship replacer template from his excellent Civ2 - Game of Thrones mod.
- GodRage at Lands of Enroth - for all his transparent HoMM2 Unit/Building/Icon Png files he painstakingly screenshotted from the game and painted out backgrounds to make his gorgeous HoMM2 website.
- Sir Albe and the entire HoMM3 - Succession Wars mod team - for HoMM2 town name extractions and some custom HoMM2 style art assets. Check it out if you want to play HoMM2 in the HoMM3 engine with new HoMM2 style units and factions!
- Eugene and the entire Palm Kingdoms 2 team - for their custom HoMM2 style hero graphics. If you want to play a HoMM2 style game on PC or phones then try Palm Kingdoms! They also made a great HoMM & King’s Bounty style game called Royal Bounty HD and have since moved on to create other interesting retro pixel art games like Dwarven Skykeep and Vengeance of Mr Peppermint!
- The CivFanatics Civ2 Scenario League Community - for help & advice on many technical issues faced while creating this mod in our development thread.