Getting caught in espionage

Arcite36575

Warlord
If a civ asks you to stop spying on them after they catch you spying the first time, but you intend to keep spying on them anyway, is it better to just lie and promise that you won't spy on them anymore? If you refuse to promise to stop, you'll get two negative modifiers but if you lie by promising to stop, you can delay getting another negative diplomatic modifier (and I assume the civ is less likely to employ a counterspy until you get caught a second time).

Mmm...depends.

If this civ isn't liked by a whole bunch of people, I'll tell them to bug off and continue.

If I am militarily strong and it is an ally, I may stop if I got a tech out of it. If I tell them "Sorry," I'll usually send them a free gift of luxury resources and try to butter them up a little more. Maybe declare war on someone who is giving them trouble.

If I have a lot of friends and we are militarily strong, and they're not one of them, I'll continue.

If it's the runaway civ, I'll tell them to bug off, and start building up a military and allies as there'll likely be an upcoming onslaught in the future.

Apparently, if you successfully steal a tech and they know you stole tech from them and you refuse to stop, they'll put a spy in their capital to catch you next time.

Lieing in CIV5 gives you severe diplo hits. It is better to tell the truth as lieing can affect your relationships with other civs. The big one is when they ask you about your troops on their border and you say "I'm only passing through....." then a few turns later you DOW them.

Top Bottom