Graphics glitches keep popping up with EUI/VP

Pathologic

Chieftain
I've been having a graphics issue using VP and EUI. Various icons and 2D graphics disappear and get replaced by black boxes and other artifacts. This happens 20-50 turns into a new game every time, and will reoccur after about 10 turns after reloading the game.

I tested VP 3-28 with mods disabled and EUI installed, and still have this issue 20-50 turns into a new game. However, when I tested it with both mods disabled AND EUI uninstalled, I was able to reach around turn 80 and still not see any graphics issues. Also, the turns were passing a lot faster without EUI, for some reason.

I tried almost everything I could think of besides downgrading to DX9. I uninstalled Civ V and deleted the entire game folder, along with my Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5 folder. Reinstalled Civ V and VP 3-28. I tried disabling GPU Texture Decode in Video Options. I updated my graphics drivers. I updated Windows.

Lastly, I installed VP 2-17-3 to test with EUI installed and mods disabled. Got to around 60 turns with no issues. Then, I switched back to VP 3-28 and did the same thing... with no issues. I was optimistic I was in the clear, so I started another modded game and it happened again on turn 30.

See attached screenshots for some examples. I have no clue what to do anymore. I've never had this problem playing VP before, and there's nothing wrong my system as far as I know. Here are my specs to verify:

GPU: GeForce RTX 2080
CPU: Core i7 3770K
RAM: 8 GB

Attachments

• Sid_Meier's_Civilization_V_(DX11)_2019-04-05_23-21-18.jpg
    Sid_Meier's_Civilization_V_(DX11)_2019-04-05_23-21-18.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Sid_Meier's_Civilization_V_(DX11)_2019-04-04_22-17-29.jpg
    Sid_Meier's_Civilization_V_(DX11)_2019-04-04_22-17-29.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 210
Are you playing with RED, Ethnic Units or any other (memory-heavy) mod? If yes, don't.

If no, then try lowering some of the graphic settings. You can try digging through the issues on GitHub. We have solved this for several users - unfortunately, I cannot remember exactly which setting helped. I think it was something with shading.

Last edited:
Are you playing with RED, Ethnic Units or any other (memory-heavy) mod? If yes, don't.

If no, then try lowering some of the graphic settings. You try digging through the issues on GitHub. We have solved this for several users - unfortunately, I cannot remember exactly which setting helped. I think it was something with shading.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was able to find one of the old GitHub issues on this topic, where Gazebo said it's some kind of GPU/driver issue with the game using too much VRAM, rather than a problem with the mod itself.

Although I was sometimes getting this issue even while using EUI by itself, I'll have to try again with different video settings and less mods enabled to see if it helps.

Last edited:
I started a new game on VP 3-28. This time with High Detail Strategic View and GPU Texture Decode turned off in the video options, and the Ethnic Diversity mod disabled.

Now, it just works. I'm 225 turns into a game on a Huge map and I'm having no issues whatsoever. So it seems that working around this problem simply requires disabling enough VRAM-hungry mods and options to free up enough memory for the game to be stable, regardless of how much VRAM you actually have.

It's strange, but it makes sense now. Thanks again.

To solve my graphics issues, I have to use the DirectX 9 version.

To solve my graphics issues, I have to use the DirectX 9 version.
Yep, this can help sometimes. The most common cause are R.E.D., Ethnic Units or the old Flag Promotions though. Most people should be fine if they avoid these mods in combination with VP even on huge maps and reasonable details level. The annoying thing is that these glitches are a bit random and can happen on strong hardware too.

Yes the glitches are quite a bit random, I was not running and memory heavy mods and I kept getting them. I thought I would not be able to play this mod, until I remembered the DirectX 9 mode.

Top Bottom