Great Prophet Religion Spread Question

Espírito

Civ Addict
I haven't found an answer to this question, but if it has already been answered somewhere I'd appreciate it if you could point me in that direction.

In my current game my holy city has 20+ population with ~20 followers of my religion (no others). Egypt's GP converts my city and it now has ~18 Buddhists.

However, when I try to convert a size 13 CS (with no religion whatsoever) with my GP it took 2 (!) conversions to become a majority religion (and only 8 followers after this).

Can you explain the apparent difference in strength?

I understand the GP removes all followers of another religion, but I still don't understand how Egypt's GP can then convert 18 of my citizens while my GP took 2 uses to convert 8 citizens.

Any ideas?

Good question, i am in fact not entirely sure how this works either.
Possibly might have something to do with the existing pressure coming from the neighbouring cities.

That is a mystery, but in my experience it only happens with Holy Cities. If you prophet bombed his holy city, it should do the same. I think this is why the AI will bypass your other cities to beeline your holy city.

The answer to your "how" question (what is the game mechanism?) is undoubtedly buried in the DLL (which I am not competent to parse), but the saving grace is that your Holy City pressure will reassert itself and convert your capital back within 15-20-25 turns (depending on pressure levels from other cities with your religion). In the meantime you have the advantage of the other religion's beliefs in your holy city -- any religious buildings you can buy?

And buy an inquisitor (in ANOTHER city that has your religion) and park it in your capital. (or in a tile immediately adjacent to your capital's center tile) Don't use it to reconvert your capital (unless you are swimming in excess faith), but use it to deter GP spam.

And buy an inquisitor (in ANOTHER city that has your religion) and park it in your capital. (or in a tile immediately adjacent to your capital's center tile) Don't use it to reconvert your capital (unless you are swimming in excess faith), but use it to deter GP spam.

In addition to the inquistor in the capital; you may have have to keep few units on tiles you don't want their GP stepping on; when your city is the target, the AI's GP keeps stepping on your lawn for the rest of the game.

That is a mystery, but in my experience it only happens with Holy Cities.
Thanks, I wondered whether it was a Holy City issue or whether it was a CS issue. I guess it's to counter-balance the holy-city's ability to re-convert itself relatively quickly.

Picked up on this trick while researching my original question, but thanks. First time it happened I stupidly used my inquisitor to reconvert, but I've got another parked in the capital now.

I have reason to believe part of this is based on the city population; Couldn't help but notice during one game that when religion naturally spreads, the larger population cities get the first followers, and smaller cities take a little longer to convert. Possibly this may be true for conversions too.

Can anyone confirm this?

I have reason to believe part of this is based on the city population; Couldn't help but notice during one game that when religion naturally spreads, the larger population cities get the first followers, and smaller cities take a little longer to convert. Possibly this may be true for conversions too.

Can anyone confirm this?
Afaik this is false.

Top Bottom