Resource icon

[GS] SQL Helper for Civilization VI 1.1.0

Zugaikotsu

Chieftain
[GS] SQL Helper for Civilization VI - Program used to generate SQL Output used for creating mods.

Hello all,

I've been working on a small project that I hope will be able to assist the modding community. The goal was to help bridge the gap of the understanding of SQL to a more open broad range of people who may not have coding experience or prefer a visual representation of it due to the UI interface to handle most of the logic. This tool can be largley used without the need to worry about the complications, syntax, foreign keys, or required items. Because of this, this tool will likely be most useful for Beginners to Intermediate users of SQL, while Advance users will often prefer hand-crafted SQL statements, although it can be used by any experience levels.

TL;DR: UI Interface to Databases where it will generate the SQL based on items changed.

Goals to Expand:
  • Ease the relationship mapping with backtracking references on the UI front, to make relationships easier to track/navigate Done with V1.1.0
  • Handle new fields/tables dynamic additions
  • Allow "pre-saved" SQL scripts to run on a database on demand/on start up to prevent the need to manually re-enter objects to get to a certain state.
  • Finish up final support with certain trouble fields/tables (due to SQLite's structure)
  • Built-in Color Picker and (maybe) image selector helper
  • Speed/Performance improvement

Limitations:
  • Simple queries and SQL statements: Remove full tables or more complex edits can't be supported with this.
  • Works with the general GS install: Anything less can't be easily supported; anything more won't show, but shouldn't cause issues.

If you run into any issues, please let me know, and upload the applicable DB files.

Last edited:
Zugaikotsu updated [GS] SQL Helper for Civilization VI with a new update entry:

With Version 1.1.0, I have added the ability to track References that a Row has, and all Rows from other Tables that Reference a specific Row, which hopefully will prove fairly useful for anyone looking at their Database (Cross-Database References are not supported in either). In addition, I have added two new "Insert" methods, which allows for specifying what type of Insert you wish to do (Insert or Replace, Insert or Ignore, Standard Insert). Likewise, I have also added the ability to filter down any column to help search for specific Rows inside the active Table: Simply click the Filter Icon on any Column, and type the value you wish to search by. Finally, I have fixed a number of bugs and improved a few things in the QoL field. Any feedback is appreciated continuing this effort.
View attachment 524266

Last edited:
Trying to do simple mod (I think it should be simple), removing option to buy or producing new settlers. Mod wont start after launching game.
I edited table by removing option to produce and buy, in units database.
Any ideas or help.

P.S. this would be my first mod, never tried creating mods.

In the end I was able to increase production cost to settlers by editing base database so that will do the trick for me

@qiqo1908, glad you found the answer. I would recommend the base Mod Creation Help section for most general questions (unless it specifically deals with the application) https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/mod-creation-help.567/. You'll get a more varied, quicker, and higher quality answer there due to the number of people looking over at it.
If it was faulty output on this application's side, let me know and I'll take a further look

@qiqo1908, glad you found the answer. I would recommend the base Mod Creation Help section for most general questions (unless it specifically deals with the application) https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/mod-creation-help.567/. You'll get a more varied, quicker, and higher quality answer there due to the number of people looking over at it.
If it was faulty output on this application's side, let me know and I'll take a further look

As far as your app, I think it cannot be more user friendly, problem is in my knowledge to implement it. Before i didn't see this, it didn't even cross my mind doing anything. Thx for reply.

Just want to thank you very much for this -- since the busy-work required for my upcoming CHMZ mod has been considerably lowered through direct comprehensive editing steps. Transfering any validated statements to the custom SQL file for the mod makes it all intuitive.
Excellent coding tool!

PS; Suggestion for HUD clarity.

On the Top-Right corner of the main SQL Helper editing screen.. you have two buttons (Save and Options). It would be somewhat less confusing to change the "Save" tag string as "Output" since it leads to a secondary process that can --then-- allow the final saving step.

Last edited:
@qiqo1908 fair enough. As you use it, hopefully you can pick up on the SQL parts to where more advance queries should be possible on your own. Have fun creating.

@Zyxpsilon glad to hear it helped. That's the goal. I like the original CHM mod, so I'm excited to see where it is taken.
I agree with the suggestion. Save was put there mainly due to habit, but I agree it isn't as clear in this context. It'll be changed to something more concise in the next update. Feedback is appreciated.

UI Interface to Databases where it will generate the SQL based on items changed.

If your goal is this, SQL Server comes with this function. SQL Server doesn't work with sqlite database, but I guess Firaxis didn't use advanced sqlite syntax, so 01_GameplaySchema.sql should be nearly runnable by SQL Server.

After importing the data to SQL Server, you can change values, add or delete rows on the UI of SQL Server Management Studio. SQL Server Management Studio then generates the change script for you.

Top Bottom