Resource icon

Guide to City-States

WillowBrook

Lurker
WillowBrook submitted a new resource:

Guide to City-States - everything most people might want to know about City-States in Civ VI

Guide to City-States
Compiled by WillowBrook

This Guide provides information on Civilization VI's City-States and how you might get the most benefits from them. Comments, corrections, critiques, and any other pertinent discussion are welcome in the discussion thread.

What is a City-State?
How do I gain influence with City-States?...

Read more about this resource...

Auckland gives +2 production to coastal tiles, instead of +1. Sorry it slipped after the guide was published.

Incidentally, being suzerain of Auckland gives a most impressive yield from coastal oil: +1 food, +5 production and +1 gold unimproved. I think even a double-yield tile from Torres del Paine can't beat that.

Good guide, however, this part is not true:

"However, you do not lose your Envoys if you find yourself at war with a City-State for other reasons. For example, if you declare war on another Civilization that is Suzerain of a City-State, that City-State will declare on you, but you will not lose your Envoys. You can even send additional Envoys while at war in order to become Suzerain, and the City-State will switch sides in the war."

I am playing a game now and Montezuma of the Aztecs declared war on me. Montezuma is the suzerain of Valletta, which in turn declared war on me. All of my envoys went to zero in Valletta and there were no option to send more if I wanted; I had more envoys available but I could not send them there while at war. We have since made peace and I did not get any envoys back; it is still at zero.

The same thing happened with Russia and Seoul, however, I am still at war with Russia (and Seoul) but my guess is I have permanently lost my envoys at Seoul even when we eventually make peace just like what happened with Aztecs/Valletta.

So I don't know if this is a bug, or what, but that just happened and is happening now in my game.

Good guide, however, this part is not true:

"However, you do not lose your Envoys if you find yourself at war with a City-State for other reasons. For example, if you declare war on another Civilization that is Suzerain of a City-State, that City-State will declare on you, but you will not lose your Envoys. You can even send additional Envoys while at war in order to become Suzerain, and the City-State will switch sides in the war."

I am playing a game now and Montezuma of the Aztecs declared war on me. Montezuma is the suzerain of Valletta, which in turn declared war on me. All of my envoys went to zero in Valletta and there were no option to send more if I wanted; I had more envoys available but I could not send them there while at war. We have since made peace and I did not get any envoys back; it is still at zero.

The same thing happened with Russia and Seoul, however, I am still at war with Russia (and Seoul) but my guess is I have permanently lost my envoys at Seoul even when we eventually make peace just like what happened with Aztecs/Valletta.

So I don't know if this is a bug, or what, but that just happened and is happening now in my game.

Has anyone else experienced this? Was there possibly a change in one of the recent patches? I have not observed any loss of envoys due to war, but I haven't done much warring recently.

Has anyone else experienced this? Was there possibly a change in one of the recent patches? I have not observed any loss of envoys due to war, but I haven't done much warring recently.
I don't remember it being this way in the past either, so maybe something changed in the last patch.

Does city bonus stack up?

And yes, sometime the Envoys stay active also when here is a war. In this cases also the war can get ended in the 1st turn, no need to wait 10.

Does city bonus stack up?

And yes, sometime the Envoys stay active also when here is a war. In this cases also the war can get ended in the 1st turn, no need to wait 10.
The bonuses do stack - if you have three envoys in two different science city states, you get four science per campus (two from each city state), on top of four science in your capital (two science for one envoy in each of two science cities).

i read the article but couldnt find answer to what i had:
any ai becomes the suzerain of a city state.the ai declares war on me.city state immediately follows him.
but,if i go to city states panel and choose that city than it gives me the button of make peace which is immediate.
so question is whats the point of that?i can of course understand the benefits but in war they are useless cause u immediately make peace.

i read the article but couldnt find answer to what i had:
any ai becomes the suzerain of a city state.the ai declares war on me.city state immediately follows him.
but,if i go to city states panel and choose that city than it gives me the button of make peace which is immediate.
so question is whats the point of that?i can of course understand the benefits but in war they are useless cause u immediately make peace.
This is probably a bug. I seem to recall it was fixed to require ten turns before you could make peace in one patch, then the bug was back in the next patch (but don't quote me one that).

This is a very thorough guide, nice work. I'd also be interested in knowing which leaders have an effect on city states. Googling, I see:

John Curtin / Australia: can culture bomb with pastures after unique Outback Station improvement, stealing tiles from city-states or civs
Frederick Barbarossa / Germany: combat boost against city-state's units
Pericles / Greece: culture bonus for each allied city state

This is a very thorough guide, nice work. I'd also be interested in knowing which leaders have an effect on city states. Googling, I see:

John Curtin / Australia: can culture bomb with pastures after unique Outback Station improvement, stealing tiles from city-states or civs
Frederick Barbarossa / Germany: combat boost against city-state's units
Pericles / Greece: culture bonus for each allied city state
Yep these and the changes that come in with R&F would be useful updates if we can convince @WillowBrook

I think I'll aim for a big revision once the expansion is out - we know they are making some changes to city state names and bonuses, but don't have all the details yet.

Top Bottom