Help with modding RoM and RoM_RevDCM

Since RandR in Civ3 taught me how to mod I thought I would try and mod RoM :)

I looked around for a mod which would not change Rom (or RoM_RevDCM) but would enhance the experience.

I chose the Great person Mod. Especially as it had be converted to BTS by Roamty and its graphics reciently update by Amra.

Initial investigation showed that it should be "easy" even though I have not used python before.

Spoiler :
Initial investigation reviels that the following directories and files are unique to Great Person Mod and have no counterpart in RoM or RoM_RevDCM.

directorys
assets\art\GreatPeople
assets\python\RandomNameUtils

files
assets\xml\text\Amra_CIV4GameText_GreatPeople.xml
assets\xml\text\CIV4GameTextInfos_GreatPersonMod BTS_GreatPeople.xml
assets\Python\CvGreatPersonModEventManager.py
assets\Python\CvGreatPersonScreen.py

The file "assets\xml\units\CIV4UnitInfos.xml" has more great people in the Great Person Mod.

Copying the unique files and directories into my copy of RoM (or Rom_RevDCM) had no effect. This is to be expected since none of them would be called or imported yet.

Copying the Great People in Civ4UnitInfos.xml to Rom appeared to have no effect.

The files which are in both GP and RoM are
CvConfigParser.py no significant changes
CvModName.py RoM looks more complete
CvPath.py ditto
CvCustomEventManager.py GP mod imports CvGreatPersonModEventManager
Python\EntryPoints\CvEventInterface.py no apparent significant changes
Python\EntryPoints\CvScreensInterface.py many change changes

When I did an intelligent (I thought) merge I lost the movie and tech screens plus advance start. In Rom_RevDCM lost all revolution and DCM stuff.

So instead I tried something better. I tried to put sensible bits of code in CvEventManager.py under the section "def onGreatPersonBorn(self, argsList):".

Nothing happened. In fact with a bit of testing I proved to myself that this bit of code was not being called when a Great Person was born.

Any ideas what I may have missed? One possibility is that CvUtil.pyPrint is not printing where I think it is.

sorry, i can't help you with your problem, but be warned, if you do find a fix, you're going to have to put some of your own stuff in to keep it all even with all the extra great people that have been added.

sorry, i can't help you with your problem, but be warned, if you do find a fix, you're going to have to put some of your own stuff in to keep it all even with all the extra great people that have been added.

Not a problem. I was mucking around with the pictures before I noticed Arma's work. I was fed up with Thespis' "snuging" :) Apparently he, Thespis, did it from the back of wagons at parties. (It should have been "sung" not snug.)

@Dancing Hoskuld

What tools you use for merging files. Don't depend on comparing files side by side without a tool like WinMerge that highlights every single difference.

You either can merge with RoM or with RoM-RevDCM. They have different Python folders besides a lot of changes in XML files.

The issues you mentioned point to CvScreensInterface.py. This file is heavily changed in RoM because of Sevopedia. RoM-RevDCM has a simpler file because it removes Sevopedia.

I hope you will manage merging the Great Person mod. It is a great piece of work and a nice addition to RoM.

@Kalimakhus

I am using CompareIt! which does highlight every change. I did the dumb merge first off but that failed misserably. So now I am working on doing it intelligently which means I need to make sure I am speaking Python not some other language. <start Old person ramble> I remember a most interesting bug way back when, 20+ years ago. None of us youngsters could figure out why a bit of COBOL was not working. Our boss had never seen BASIC and saw the problem right away :mischief:<end Old person ramble>

However since I made the mistake of upgrading with the new patch for BTS nothing is working not even BTS. Looks like clean install time :cry:

Top Bottom