Hey dudes, something about FiOS

AznWarlord

Monarch
I'm not bothering to make a Verizon account so I'll just ask you guys. I recently got Verizon FiOS (yesterday), the 5/2mbps (I believe 5mb download 2mb upload). My computer uses 1200kbps from a wireless card. So I decided to download the Civ4 demo (somewhat related to this board). The download speed was just 190kbps (I was on CNET, download.com). It should've been higher, at least 300kbps. I went download all sorts of other games, 190kbps. I only had 1 browser (firefox) open and was downloading one thing at a time, so download speed should've been 600kbps. I thought it was because I did not meet the recommended requirements, only the minimum. So I went download other stuff and went I got to Spyware Docter, here it was, 600kbps. I went over to download rise of nation on riseofnations.com which redirects to RoN on microsoft.com. 190kbps.

What's going on with my download speed? Does it decrease if I'm downloading a large file like a game demo (300-400mb)? How come small files around 1mb download at 600kbps? I"m just wonder because I'm download games at 1/3 of what I paid for.

Here's a screenshot. The first one is AoE 3 demo. 400mb. I'm downloading at dial up speed (25kbps). The second is Spyware Doctor, like 5mb. I'm downloading at 550kbps which was still increasing. I gave both downloads at least 10 seconds, I didn't want to actually download Spyware Doctor.

I don't like posting a lot in a row but now I'm downloading AoE3 from Microsoft.com.

600kbps.

I think CNET is messed up, but how come the Rise of Nations trial went so slow? It was on microsoft.com as well.

I guess I don't really need help anymore, as long as it's working everything's fine now, (don't go to CNET ever if you have FiOS), I just wanna know, does anyone else get this problem?

I think I just wasted an assload of time asking a question I solved on my own. I laugh at myself.

While a high download speed is good, its generally not that much of a matter when its over 1mbps since most servers wont provide you with speeds much higher than that. It is good though if you have multiple people on one line.

How much did the verizon line cost?

Yeah I guess CNET won't let you download faster than 190kbps. The line was 69.99 a month.

Top Bottom