HOF rules change suggestion

Cromagnus

Deity
I propose that (assuming it's possible) the HOF should create a new category: Starting Era... so that Gauntlets and other HOF games could be played with different Era starts.

As a different category, it wouldn't interfere with existing tables. (All existing HOF games would fall under the Ancient Start category)

Optionally, it could be a new VVV category as well. I think this would be really fun, because it would encourage the use (for once!) of later era units which currently almost never come into play during (medal-competitive) HOF games.

Because, come on, it just would be cool to have bombers, paratroopers, submarines and carriers (plus all the UUs) actually get used during gauntlet competitions. :D

This is especially relevant on low-difficulty level games, where even Medieval UUs hardly ever are involved in a competitive finish. (See the current Mongolia game where a competitive game is won before teching Keshiks... totally removing half the fun of Mongolia)

Sounds like a very good idea. The HoF has so many features, why not add even more? ;) It sounds very logical to me to use the starting era feature as a HoF category.

**fantasy mode on**
Ideally, any game setting (such as rainfall, water level, temperature) should be categorised in the HoF, but I can imagine this will create just too much clutter in the HoF. This would make it possible to submit every save game. Even the scenario save games could be accepted.
**off**

Off-topic: One thing I wanted to mention is a typo in the HoF: the mouse-over text of Germany's Civilization icon contains the typo. It says "Germany (Bismark)", but Bismarck is written with -rck, not -rk.

Indeed this would open up a whole new dimension of civ. I agree that competitive games will usually end before relevant UU:s come into play, and this seems like a reasonable solution to make these challenges even more fun and add a lot more variation.

excellent idea, later era starts allow for such different strats, especially for domination games

excellent idea, later era starts allow for such different strats, especially for domination games

I know! It'd be so refreshing to actually have a use for bombers in HOF play. Although, we might discover that they weren't necessary. One thing is for sure, domination would be contested for "fastest" victory time. If you *start* the game in the Atomic Era, diplomatic victory might suddenly be the fastest... who knows? :)

If you start in the Info era, it would be a race between all victory types. I won't waste my time theorizing which way would be fastest, until they decide to add it to the HOF. ;)

Love this idea to add more variation to the ancient era games. Different eras may completely change the strategies such as build orders and social policies.

Please do add!

I don't care whether it gets its own table in the HoF or not, but the Every Era should definitely be a component of VVV competition. Its there in Civ4, why not Civ5???

"Rock of Ages" in the Elite Quattromasters is what I'm referring to, regarding Civ4 HoF.

Top Bottom