How are you supposed to build SSC/SG when triple teamed??

Illusion13

King
Ugh, I tried using the strategy known as Super Science City and Super Growth technic, but, once I get up to like, <b>4 cities</b>, I start getting gangbanged by like, 3 countries, and massive barbarian raidings (Can be VERY difficult to fight off with out Gunpowder)... Nations sign pacts to go against me even when I didnt do anything :confused: :confused: , and, managing 4 cities is hard enough, 20?!?!?! :mad: :mad: :mad: How the hell are you supposed to do it... I even tried making my own island map so I can have a lil time of isolation to build up, but NOOOO!! They land oh me ANYWAYS!!:mad: :mad: OMG... And I was only on Warlord level...

One fact, I AM a 4 day n00b to civilization, so I might not know some stuffs...

What version are you playing? And what level? And what year does this happen?

I can't say I've ever experienced anything like this. They usually gang up on me later in the game, but that's after I've built my SSC and am strong enough to resist them.
If you're isolated, there shouldn't be any problems with the AI early on at all. Maybe they go to your island to meet you, or found a city on some empty spot, but htey seldom launch a full scale attack with more than 2 units early on.

Try expanding much faster, build defense first, then a couple of settlers in your city (mostly for founding new cities, and one for improving roads). In your SSC ou build wonders and maybe in one or two other cities, once they've built enough settlers so that the new cities can fuel expansion, you build caravans to help the wonders.

Expand fast in the beginning of the game. Built new Settlers right away when cities grow to size 2 and found new cities rather than improving the land first. If you have 10 cities that support a warrior each and meet a civ with say 3 cities and a handful units they will be afraid of you. You can demand tribute from them if you wish. Build more cities next to their cities so they have nowhere to expand.

If you meet an aggressive civ while in the process of founding new cities, give in to their demands to buy some time. Later when you have 20 cities it is easier to fight a war with them.

Barbarians can cause trouble early in the game. One way to handle them is to have a road network between your cities and some diplomats posted here and there. Now you can bribe barbarian units and also bribe back cities they managed to capture.

Be careful also in your negotiations with other civs. They are often very insulting. If you are weak, put up with it and give them what they want. If you can get their attitude up above Neutral they will often trade techs.

Demanding tribute only works if you have more military units on their island than they do. It also lowers their attitude toward you unless you are higher on the Power scale.

Keep a couple Phalanx units in your key cities, and rush them to other threatened cities if there is time to fortify after they get there. Otherwise, evacuate the city, let the Barbs capture it, and buy it back with a Diplomat the next turn. You will not pay that much for it, and it will come back with the Barb unit still in it. Make sure you have a few Dips and some gold around for emergencies.

BTW, welcome to CFC! Like all good games, Civ gets better the more you learn about how things work, and CFC is one of the best places to do that. Another good way is to join the Game of the Month. Download the SAV file and play to 1AD, then join the discussion in the Spoiler thread. From the Results threads of past GOTMs you can download past saved games, some of which come with logs. Read through the logs and try to keep up in a parallel game. Then come back to the Strategy forum and ask more questions. Use the Search function (if it is not disabled this week again) to hunt for key words like Super Science City and Infinte City Sprawl/Sleaze. Enjoy!

Top Bottom