1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

how easy is it to mod little things?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by cman2010, Mar 3, 2011.

1. cman2010

cman2010 King

I remember it being really easy in civ 3 to mod little things like how much money you got from a trade post or unit stats.

2. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

I would say that if you give yourself an hour or so to familiarize yourself with how to update XMLs in ModBuddy, it is a piece of cake.

3. cman2010

cman2010 King

where do i get modbuddy

4. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

5. cman2010

cman2010 King

thanks for the help with modding.

6. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

No problem. It can be a bit much to digest while getting used to the system, but trust me when I say that after clearing that initial hurdle, it becomes pretty intuitive.

7. Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus Mad Scientist

...at least it'll be intuitive as long as you stick with these little XML tweaks. The moment you cross the boundary into Lua modification, that's when it gets messy. (If you don't have serious programming experience, then I'd stay away from that one.)

But yes, the XML editing is easy. I'd HIGHLY recommend reading through Kael's modding guide, linked in the Reference section of this board, to understand the basics. (And keep the PDF file of it around; it'll come in handy when you get to things like icon atlas editing.) And there's a lot you can do with it, as long as you're not trying to add entirely new game mechanisms.